• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stiller vs. Defiance Actions

Re: Stiller vs. Defiance Actions

Yes, I have read that thread, and it's a great one. Thanks for the link as I was trying to find it again. I wanted to throw up an actual poll though and see if there was any clear winner with actual numbers, however I highly doubt there will be a clear winner.

Just thought of another measurable, maybe impossible to determine; but what about which one has won the most competitions or accumulated the most points? Then again that would put us back in Chevy vs Ford and NASCAR duking it out year after year with no clear winner. Simple poll my be better just to point out a 50/50 stance between the 2.

This is almost like a Remington versus Savage thread where everyone has their favorites. I have one Defiance action (Underground Skunkworks - AKA Black Ops )and two in build so I guess I am partial to their actions. I vote for Defiance but then again I have never shot a Stiller so my opinion means nothing
wink.gif

My 260 has a defiance and have been very happy with it. That being said I am using a stiller tac30 for another build. I have yet to use both but I'll wager they are both great actions.

A lot of popular smiths use Defiance to build their "custom actions". If nothing else, this says a lot about Defiance's machining, knowledge, flexibility, experience, quality control, and ability to meet a schedule. I feel that if they were lacking in any of those categories places like GAP, Mike Bush, Roscoe, and R Bros wouldn't use them.

I've never owned either but my friend has a defiance that he's been happy with, and it certainly looks cool.

I didnt vote, because the only experience I have with my stiller action is fingering it. As soon as it gets built Ill vote. Right now it seems like a very very nice action.

I've own/owned all 3 of the somewhat popular name brands, Surgeon, Stiller, and Defiance. If your taking Surgeon out of the equation, then I'd say I like my Definace the best over the Stiller.

This is all really just a matter of personal opinion, so I'd take it all with a grain of salt. Either one is gonna get the job done. I like my Defiance over the Stiller I had. The Stiller (one I had) shot great, but was a lil rougher than I expected it to be. However, it's a great action and proven as well. Again, which is better is strictly a matter of preferance.

From now on, I'll build on Surgeon, unless I can afford it at the time and then I'll just stick with a good trued 700 action.

I have a Skunkworks(Defiance action) custom and love the action. If I were buying just an action then maybe the Stiller would be an option as the cost is just a little less especially during group buys. But when your approaching the $1k mark for an action the waters get muddied in a hurry.

Now seeing Surgeon has been mentioned for the money don't forget Big Horn actions too.

Many builders of customs using the Defiance but not all are created equal though. Seems each builder using Defiance and labled as their own all have little spec differences. So the GAP Templar will vary from the Skunkworks/BlackOps, and then from what LA Precision is using to what the others builders are using.

My Les Baer 260 has a Stiller TAC30. I have had zero problems with the rifle. Action is very smooth and feeds without failure.

Something other then Stiller. I have spent enough money trying to fix my Stiller, that I could have gone with a more expensive action and got it right the first time.

The bolt stop on the Definance is almost twice as big as the stop on the Stiller. Other than that, I have no preference. Both very nice.

I have 2 stillers and 1 definance.

Regards,
_DT

Having experience with both, I'd say its equally or more about who put the components together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bob2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having experience with both, I'd say its equally or more about who put the components together. </div></div>

Good point, much of the final performance is the gun builder. Both actions are good "out of the box" the real work is the fit and tune.