• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stiller's Tactical Actions

Bugholes recommended a TAC338 for my Norma build. You can spend more, but do you REALLY get more? (Note: I'm NOT an "operator" like some people are)

Just wanted to post this before someone posted "But Once, Cry Once" as justification for spending $2K for the most whiz-bangest action ever made.

Last edited:
My TAC338 action is super tight, yet super smooth. Couple it with a Jewell trigger and a nicer bolt handle and its tough to beat.
IMG_20130816_111325_951_zps290ebdd0.jpg

IMG_20130816_112123_496_zps89e3a052.jpg

PCR/XLR/TAC338 http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111453_255_zps1b498f0d.jpg http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111325_951_zps290ebdd0.jpg

Last edited:
Currently best bang for the buck in an action. Better tolerances than we see in a lot of other more expensive actions. Buy once, cry once...but don't overbuy!

I built my 6.5 Creedmoor on a TAC30/AW. If I thought this action was lacking in any way, I would have picked a different action. My rifle is not only used by me, it is a demo rifle of sorts. It is seen at matches. I let people shoot it at the range. It is a primary component in something used to showcase our quality workmanship. So, yeah, I have 100% faith in these.

Mark

Nice BookHound! Question, did you have to make any adjustments to the mag release for feeding AW mags with the manners chassis??? I am running a AICS now and miss the feel of my manners.

I have a Tac 30 A/W.
When I got it, first thoughts were positive. Everything looked great.
Marc at Spartan built me a 6.5 CM with the Tac 30 as the base.
First problem was the brass ending up back in the action. Talked with Russ at Stiller and was told to move scope. Did that and that problem went away.
Second problem was that even after ~550 rounds, the bolt was really sticky. Talked with Russ again and was told the coating was making it tight. So I set and cycled the action ~2500 times and now it is smooth.
Last problem was more of a personal item. With the scope moved forward to get the brass to eject, I didn't like the rail that stopped at the front of the action, so talked with Russ again and got the extended rail.

All problems were self-inflected and while not a problem directly from Stiller, Russ was always a pleasure to talk with and had a cure to fix problems that Stiller had not created.

I would have no problem starting a build on another one. I would just start with the extended rail, not have the bolt coated and make sure the scope was not in the road of spent brass.

Nice BookHound! Question, did you have to make any adjustments to the mag release for feeding AW mags with the manners chassis??? I am running a AICS now and miss the feel of my manners.

Yep. When we setup a rifle for AW mags we always extend the latch with laser weld and then re-shape it until we get the proper height for reliable feeding. Doesn't take much, but it does make a difference.

Just finished my Tac 300 Win Mag -- Will have pictures up when it's back from the cerakote.

I love the feel of the action...

Came dead nuts on. Couldn't be happier with it's performance last weekend.

Let me tell a quick little story about some recent experiences with some Stiller actions....

If you know Jason Nixon in our shop, you know he is very meticulous. Almost too meticulous. When dialing in a barrel he'll chase it to a millionth if you let him. Anyway... A few months ago we happened to be building two similar rifles on Stiller TAC30 AWs. Both were 6.5 Creedmoors. Just for kicks he tried fitting the second barrel to the first action and vice versa. Both barrels indexed identically (engravings were in proper places) and headspace was correct. He was pretty impressed with the exactness in tolerances between the actions.

Fast forward a couple months. We had built a 300WM on a TAC300. When the rifle was tested it shot horribly due to a scope problem. We didn't suspect the scope at first so we stuck a new barrel on that action and tested again only to have the same problems. Swapped scopes and the rifle was shooting sub .3-MOA. Jason and I were talking about what to do with that first barrel we thought might have been bad when we remembered the two Creedmoors. So, I grabbed a brand new TAC300 out of the safe, Jason torqued the barrel into place, the engravings lined up perfectly and headspace was perfect. We took it out the next day and shot it consistently in the .3s and .4s with different factory ammo. Some groups were in the teens.

I was so impressed with that 300WM I called Russ at Stiller to tell him about the experience with the Creedmoors and 300WMs. His response was, "Yeah. I'm not surprised." He then educated me on the MK13 trials and why Stiller got picked for that. I'd heard the stories from other sources who had first hand experience in the trials, but it was neat getting Russ' stories too.

So, yeah, we build on a lot of Stillers for good reasons.

Got this e-mail and picture from the customer with the 300WM. This group was at 100-yards.

"After about 100 rounds on Friday, this was My cold bore (the one on its own) followed by the next four shots through the same hole J Instructor looked at me and said, “You’re obviously good to go” I don’t even know how to accurately measure this one J and THAT is an awesome feeling. Cold bore on it has always been to the right and on its own so I’ve got all that cataloged in my range book."

Also, got this from another customer for whom we recently built a 338LM on a Stiller TAC338. This is the rifle...

This is his 1761-yard group with it. The guy knows how to shoot for sure.

Lots of good quality actions out there. Stiller is certainly one of them.

Mark

Yep. When we setup a rifle for AW mags we always extend the latch with laser weld and then re-shape it until we get the proper height for reliable feeding. Doesn't take much, but it does make a difference.

Once you set up the rifle for AW mags, does it still work with AICS mags?

Does raising the height of the magazine cause any problems with interference of the magazine lips and the flutes in the bolt? There have been a couple guys on this site that said that the flutes on the bolts of their Stiller actions would hang up on the magazine. Have you had that problem?

Does using TAC 30 AW with AICS magazines have any downsides (decreased performance)? For me, future versatility would be worthwhile, since I'd never build it into a BDL format anyway. However, if the AICS mags work better in the regular TAC 30, I'd go that way.

Making the latch modifications increases the reliability with the AW mags, but in some cases can cause standard AICS mags to be a little tight or maybe not even lock in place. I would consider it a "pick the mag you want" venture.

Mark

I recently built a rig with a Stiller Tac 30, AICS 1.5 SA , Jewell hvr, bartlein #9 (28" finished".) I was worried about the trigger but had absolutely no trouble installing it. No milling or anything like that at all. My gunsmith did all the threading and chambering. With the AICS it made it a lot more simple. No bedding, bottom metal to worry about and the #9 bartlein fit no problem. It's the largest contoured bartlein makes I believe. About 8#'s.
So if your doing a setup where everything you got is a Remington clone, it's hard to beat a Stiller.

null_zps835d43be.png

null_zps0718e60b.png

Here's the first 5 shot group I shot after the break in. 185 juggernaut , 46.5 power pro 2000 mr, lapua brass at 100 yards.

null_zpsdddd2d7f.png

Making the latch modifications increases the reliability with the AW mags, but in some cases can cause standard AICS mags to be a little tight or maybe not even lock in place. I would consider it a "pick the mag you want" venture.

Mark

If you use the AICS magazine in an AICS chassis with the standard TAC 30 (not the AW model), do you ever see the bolt flutes binding on the magazine lips?

Slayer,

Shorten the magazine latch. Maybe check with Manners and get a spare first and shorten that one. As discussed above, AICS vs AW magazines use a slightly different length magazine latch. Maybe some fluted bolts will require an additional adjustment. Call Manners. You can ask for advice here and sort through assorted levels of reply. Or you can call the people that built them, probably faced most of these problems during design, and have heard from lots of users. Call Manners.

I actually had the opposite experience on mine aw mags ran great vs the aics mags in manners chassis.

I have 2, TAC300 300 Win Mag, TAC30 6.5CM. I plan to have my next build done in a TAC30 in 223. I think they are great.

Just finished a 260 build on a stiller TAC30 A/W and have had a couple of issues. First issue occurred at around 100 rounds - the extractor froze. Not binding because of grit or poor cleaning - just locked up. Back to the smith it went. When it was returned - operational - I was told that the smith and Russ had discussed and decided that the pin that holds the assembly together and the spring were off and needed replacement. Second problem after this was that rounds would eject only about an inch out from the action, and many times would simply fall back into the open reviecer. This was not caused by the fired rounds hitting the windage knob. Third problem occurred around 300 rounds when the bolt release stopped working. Simply could not depress it to release the bolt. Had to take a gunsmith hammer to it and give it a gentle tap anytime that you wanted to remove the bolt.

So, at this point the entire rifle has gone back to the smith for further work.....

On the plus side, this is one ACCURATE rifle and I hope to get the bugs worked out soon. When I do, I will post the final fixes and some photos - it is a hot looking and shooting rifle.

Has anyone here built with the new Spectre action

I'm in the planning phase for a .260Rem next year for F/TR And hunting. Thinking this will work best with the AICS-AX being V block octagon cut.

Any opinions on the Spectre?

Anybody running a stiller SPECTRE action??

I've heard from several that the new Spectre has a slick bolt throw, as slick as a Surgeon at least since that's what they were compared to. The new design/shape is perfect for a Manners mini chassis or AI too.

I'm running the new spectre in a AX build I purchased from Accurate Ordnance. The action is smooth as hell. The fit to the chassis is phenomenal.

The Tac 30 I owned was the most accurate rifle I have ever fired. I left it behind for my AI, but for an out of the box action, they work well.