• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

STM Tumbler

Re: STM Tumbler

That's where I got all my stuff. The only thing I need now is some kind of drying rack. For the time being, I just put them in the drying machine (on the shoe dryer rack that comes with most dryers, yet never gets used)

After tumbling, I separate the media from the brass, rise well. I then put the load of brass in a mesh laundry bag, then put them on the sweater rack (or tennis shoe rack), spread them out evenly on the rack.

The mesh bag helps keep the brass from falling thru the rack and when the cycle is up, just grab the bag and haul the whole works out. No loose brass banging around in the dryer and the Wife is none the wiser.

When using the Tumbler, do you use Cold water to tumble with and Cold water to rinse with? Or is it Cold water to tumble and Warm water to rinse?

Im on STM website and Im not sure if Im reading it correctly. They state:
After I tumble my brass it is clean, but after it dries out it begins to discolor?
A. Make sure to use cold water when you tumble, warm or hot water will discolor the brass as it dries out. Tumble the Media with soap and water with no Brass to give it a "cleaning cycle"

9. Rinse your brass off really good with some warm water. (Not getting a good rinse can leave water spots on the brass)

So which is it?

I use cold water to tumble and warm water to rinse. After separating media from the brass, the brass is placed on a towel. I then wrap the brass up in the towel and work it back and forth and shake it for a minute or two. It comes out of the towel fairly dry at that point. I then dump the brass into my standard vibratory tumbler with corncob media for 10-15 minutes and it comes out dry and spot free.

So far I've cleaned a few thousand .223 and 500 or so .308. The above process works best for me after trying several other processes.

YMMV

Did STM finally start using magnetic media?

If so, rare earth magnets are a must

I use hot water to tumble. I put in 2, 45 acp cases of powdered lemishine, a very generous amount (i have not measured it, but probably about 4-5 45 cases worth)of palmolive dish soap and then I fill the tumbler up to about 1-1&1/2 inches from the top with hot tap water. I then tumble for 2 hours.

I then rinse 3 times with cold tap water. After that I dry the brass in a dark blue towel. I use a sawing back and forth type motion. This gets most all of the water off externally. I then dump this brass onto another dark blue towel. I fold the sides of the towel over and blot any additional water off.

Then I let the cases dry in the hot Texas air for 4-5 hours. By then I have usually had all the fun for one day that I can handle. I take the brass inside for the night.

I have not had any issue with water spots. The only time I wasn't happy with the shine was when I first started doing this and I was only using one 45 acp case of lemishine powder. When I went to two cases, no more shine issues.

Good luck, reloading is very addicting.

Not sure.. Is there a benefit of using Magnetic Media?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did STM finally start using magnetic media?

If so, rare earth magnets are a must </div></div>

Cool. I appreciate it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eclipse57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use hot water to tumble. I put in 2, 45 acp cases of powdered lemishine, a very generous amount (i have not measured it, but probably about 4-5 45 cases worth)of palmolive dish soap and then I fill the tumbler up to about 1-1&1/2 inches from the top with hot tap water. I then tumble for 2 hours.

I then rinse 3 times with cold tap water. After that I dry the brass in a dark blue towel. I use a sawing back and forth type motion. This gets most all of the water off externally. I then dump this brass onto another dark blue towel. I fold the sides of the towel over and blot any additional water off.

Then I let the cases dry in the hot Texas air for 4-5 hours. By then I have usually had all the fun for one day that I can handle. I take the brass inside for the night.

I have not had any issue with water spots. The only time I wasn't happy with the shine was when I first started doing this and I was only using one 45 acp case of lemishine powder. When I went to two cases, no more shine issues.

Good luck, reloading is very addicting. </div></div>

to dry, i use a vegetable dehydrator (heater at the bottom) with a box fan under it to move air. dries cases inside and out in about 2 hours but does not cook the cases and its cheap.

i run the cases over a rare earth magnet to make sure there are no stray bits of media still in the case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2_many_dogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i run the cases over a rare earth magnet to make sure there are no stray bits of media still in the case. </div></div>

This is an excellent idea. Do you find many stray pieces of SS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eclipse57</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2_many_dogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i run the cases over a rare earth magnet to make sure there are no stray bits of media still in the case. </div></div>

This is an excellent idea. Do you find many stray pieces of SS? </div></div>

yes, but very rarely.

i use cold water to tumble and rinse, then i put them across a black towel and check every flash hole for stuck pins laying the neck towards a fan

they dry pretty quick for me and they dont ever discolor or get water spots unless i dont use the fan sometimes..

also if i want it to dry faster i grab a bunch a a time turn em over and blow in the flash hole... some water leaks out

and my media is magnetic

I recommend inspecting the flash hole in every piece of brass (one more step), for pins that "double up" and get stuck in the hole. You can make a simple little tool out of a old screw driver handle and the right size finish nail to pop the pins out.

You will like how clean your brass is!