• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Stock / Chassis Ergonomics Question - Follow Up

WB300

Cranky Yankee
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2011
GA
OK Hiders... Although I have been known to have a bowl of "stupid" for breakfast, I am posting this in the Advanced Marksmanship section due to recent threads regarding recoil control and the awesome responses that have helped.

I've always had a hard time getting comfortable behind the traditional rifle stock in the prone position. I'll use my Rem 700 LTR 308 as the example here. I've tried adjusting the bipod height, small pillow under my chest...etc. With a 50 or 56mm obj scope, I run a stock pack to keep consistent positioning, but then recoil pad sits right on my collar bone when straight behind the rifle. It's not bad, but if I shoot the 300 WM with a similar stock, it gets uncomfortable (I know I know... man up). If I cant off to the side a bit, I'm off the bone, but then I can't spot my hits.

I took advantage of Black Friday deals and got an MDT LSS Chassis. Once put together with an adjustable cheek riser stock, the prone position felt very comfortable. No more collar bone rub, recoil is straight back...etc. So now I want to upgrade the stock on my 300WM. But first I want to understand why, then decide if a pistol grip chassis like the MDT or possibly the Bravo are the way to go. So here's my question:

Is the drop at the comb on the factory HS Precision 308 stock the culprit for being uncomfortable with a 50 or 56 obj? No matter how high I build the cheek up, the recoil pad still sits low. Is it just my body type that prefers the top of the recoil pad in line with the bore or am I laying wrong behind the traditional stock? Is it just in my head?

I will try to find a Bravo near by and get behind it, but I would like to know if anyone else has gone through similar.

Thanks in advance for some insight.

Will

Last edited:
My take on it is that the drop at the comb and grip angle are issues with stocks patterned after traditional hunting stocks that can make them uncomfortable when shooting them in the prone with large objective optics. Traditional hunting stocks work well and are comfortable to shoot with optics mounted low in situations like shooting off hand or in some improvised positions.

Chassis improve the ergonomics with straighter pistol grips, adjustable combs, adjustable recoil pads, etc...so that the stock can now fit you.

Reactions: C4N4DIAN
Thanks Trigger Monkey. Makes sense. It also makes me wonder how someone can continually shoot a boomer in a traditional stock in the prone all the time. And there are those who have ditched the chassis and gone back to the traditional stock. Interesting.

I know my form in the prone needs work, but I'm always trying to improve my knowledge base as well.

Oh well... looks like my 300 WM is getting switched over to a chassis. Now to decide which one.

Everyone has their reasons for doing things, could be because the traditional types of stocks fit their body type better, their usage better, or they wanted a lighter weight gun. The thing is, that's their reasoning, it doesn't make it right or wrong and it shouldn't influence your decisions when setting the rifle for you so that you can shoot better.

My take on it is that the drop at the comb and grip angle are issues with stocks patterned after traditional hunting stocks that can make them uncomfortable when shooting them in the prone with large objective optics. Traditional hunting stocks work well and are comfortable to shoot with optics mounted low in situations like shooting off hand or in some improvised positions.

Chassis improve the ergonomics with straighter pistol grips, adjustable combs, adjustable recoil pads, etc...so that the stock can now fit you.

pretty much this.

I second.

Ok, follow up question...

Does the angle of the recoil pad make a difference? For example, if you hold the action/barrel horizontal, a traditional stock has the toe come back farther than the heel. I supposed this is for easy shouldering while standing. Then there are some stocks/chassis that have the heal come back farther than the toe. I guess this helps the rifle stay against the shoulder for extended periods of time.

Can anyone give some insight?