• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock Choice for 18" 5.56mm build

redlegjosh

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for informed opinions on stock choice for a 18" build. I usually position my head pretty far up on the stock (almost nose to charging handle). I'm also average size I guess. I was originally looking at the MagPul UBR stock, but the weight concerns me. Also, I had a M16 A2 in the Army and I hated the stock, too long for me. I'm building the rifle as what I would call a "general purpose rifle", not for CQB, and not for long range. Something reliable and consistent past 400m. A couple questions:
1. Anyone using a shorter fixed stock on similar rifle? If so, pros and cons.
2. Anyone using the UBR on a similar rifle? If so, pors and cons.
3. Any other collapsible stocks that offer the durability of the UBR with a little less weight?

Thanks.

The stock has to match the weight of the rifle to balance it out, it has to fit you, if it works for you it does not matter what someone else thinks of it.

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for informed opinions on stock choice for a 18" build. I usually position my head pretty far up on the stock (almost nose to charging handle). I'm also average size I guess. I was originally looking at the MagPul UBR stock, but the weight concerns me. Also, I had a M16 A2 in the Army and I hated the stock, too long for me. I'm building the rifle as what I would call a "general purpose rifle", not for CQB, and not for long range. Something reliable and consistent past 400m. A couple questions:
1. Anyone using a shorter fixed stock on similar rifle? If so, pros and cons.
2. Anyone using the UBR on a similar rifle? If so, pors and cons.
3. Any other collapsible stocks that offer the durability of the UBR with a little less weight?

Thanks.

The A1 stocks that sinister mentioned are a good option. They are roughly 5/8" shorter than the common A2 and they offer a decent cheekweld. If you want REALLY short, there is the RRA "Entry" or "Sully" style fixed stocks which look similar to an A1/A2 type stock, but use basically the same buffer tube that the UBR uses an give a total length of only ~7" for the Entry and a little over 8" for the Sully.

The UBR is an excellent stock, but they are DAMNED heavy compared to every other "collapsible" style stock on the market. They are nice if you need to help balance out a heavy-barreled AR somewhat, but they can be a pain if you'll be humping the rifle around a lot or if it'll be used on a rifle that isn't barrel-end heavy. They offer the advantages of a fixed, consistent cheekweld thanks to the fixed cheekpiece portion of the stock, but as you know, are adjustable for LOP much like any other collapsible AR stock.

If you like the idea of the fixed cheekweld like the UBR but want less weight but the same features as a collapsible stock, there is something like the Ergo F93 Pro stock which is nearly identical to the original Magpul M93B type stock which eventually led to development of the UBR. They are licensed Ergo direct by Magpul and are excellent stocks all around with a cost of ~$175 and weigh ~1/3lb-1/2lb less fully equipped. Here's a link: http://ergogrips.net/products/stocks/ergo-f93-pro-stock.html

Last edited:
What's the UBR like an extra pound? It is an 18" build right? If weight was such a huge concern I don't understand an 18"er. The UBR I believe is perfect for such a rifle and will definitely help balance it out.

What's the UBR like an extra pound? It is an 18" build right? If weight was such a huge concern I don't understand an 18"er. The UBR I believe is perfect for such a rifle and will definitely help balance it out.

Haha! How many kids humped garands around europe? 18" heavy barrel, scope, loaded 30 rounder, 10 pounds...get the UBR if you like the fit.

I'm using a Mission First Tactical Battlelink, their low profile version. It's light, has built in QD brackets, but what I liked the best about it is that if/when I add glass, they have a riser option that is inexpensive and very light weight. Lock-up on the buffer tube is very solid, bottom of the recoil pad has a nice cant to it so it rolls naturally up onto your shoulder. Just all around, very impressed with it.

The Mission First Battlelink stock that WxWatcher recommended is a good stock. One of my .308's wears a MFT BULS low profile stock and I love it. Locks up really tight and offers a good cheek weld.

The A1 stock is also a good recommendation, Cav Arms fixed stocks can usually be found on the net for $20 or so.

The EFX-A1 stock from MAGS LLC. might be worth looking into. It's built to the shorter A1 length, and has sloping sides for an excellent cheekweld. It's lighter than a UBR stock, but not exactly what I would call "lightweight" as it is very solidly built. I run one on my SPR, it seems to balance out the 18" barrel pretty well.

9593622469_6b5fe171c8_c.jpg

The EFX-A1 stock from MAGS LLC. might be worth looking into. It's built to the shorter A1 length, and has sloping sides for an excellent cheekweld. It's lighter than a UBR stock, but not exactly what I would call "lightweight" as it is very solidly built. I run one on my SPR, it seems to balance out the 18" barrel pretty well.

9593622469_6b5fe171c8_c.jpg

Mk12? Nice

You can get an ACE skeleton in a short length. I think they call it the "entry" stock

I prefer the MagPul ACS-L for adjustable or an ACE fixed. Worth a look.

Stocks are about preference, fit and balance, so they is no one best. Try several and pick your favorite.