• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock Colt 6920 MP sub MOA accuracy: typical or I got lucky?

Kevin1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Allen, TX, USA
I’m puzzled. So I wanted to run this by the long range shooting community to know if I got lucky with this rifle or if this kind of accuracy is to be expected.
I’m getting sub MOA accuracy without doing that much effort (only a 7X scope and not the most stable shooting position).

I've always read that this is a 1.5-2 MOA gun. Now I’m wondering if this is because the guys that are doing the accuracy testing don’t have long range background.

All targets shot at 100 yards, 3 consecutive 5 shot groups.
Harris bipod 6-9 swivel with pod lock, with pistol grip resting on sand bag.

The rifle is a stock Colt 6920 MP-FDE. It has around 1000 rounds through it and is more accurate than when it was brand new.
Scope: Vortex Diamondback 2-7X35 mounted on a Burris pepr qd

For the average calculation of all my groups, I only took into account the first consecutive 3 five shot groups. I have noticed that the 4th group opens up systematically with all ammo. I’m sure this is because of the barrel heating up (I’m not letting the barrel cool down between each 5 shot groups). So to get more relevant results, I’m excluding the last 5 shot group.

- Best average group (3 consecutive 5 shot groups) Fiocchi 77Gr SMK: 0.93 Inch (all groups under 1 inch).
The first group on the center is 3 inch high (heavier bullets shoot higher), and the elevation was corrected for the following 2 groups (Vortex scope dials true)
- Best 5 shot group: American Eagle Varmint tip: 0.77 inch (average 1.2 inch)
- Last target is some cheap American Eagle 223 55 gr FMJ, with an honorable 1.38 inch average grouping

So did I win the lottery or this kind of accuracy isn't uncommon?

nec8.jpg

xqqc.jpg

Last edited:
Not a long range shooter myself, but have owned/shot lots of AR15's. Never had one yet that wouldn't at least occasionally do sub MOA WITH AMMUNITION TAILORED TO THE GUN. This is at 100 to 200 yds, which is all the range I have. IMO, ARs are just born accurate-you just have to find the right ammo that your gun likes. Looks like you happened on a good combination.

Full of WIN!! ;)

The biggest limitations with the 6920 in my experience are multifaceted. First and foremost...they generally are NOT run as "precision" rigs in terms of how they are equipped (optics, sights, etc.), nor, by virtue of the components used to make them are they designed to be precision rifles (mil-spec trigger, non-free floated barrel, etc.), but battle rifles capable of approx. 2MOA accuracy (although most I have fired with decent fodder will achieve better results...closer to 1.5 or slightly better). Furthermore, they generally get run with far from "match quality" ammo...in fact, most will never see anything aside from surplused 55gr ball and the like which hardly serves as a good basis for testing any rifle's accuracy. And last but certainly not least (as you observed)...most shooters don't generally run them well from the outset which never helps matters in terms of "accuracy" assessments (especially online ones) since all the best gear and ammo in the world won't miraculously turn a sub-par shooter into a precision marksman no matter what the cost. ;)

I'd say that considering all of the above ammo, including the results from basic 55gr ball, your particular rifle shows somewhat better than average accuracy. On the ones I have fired, I seldom was able to do much better than 1.5MOA (occasionally a 1MOA group would surface but not with any meaningful regularity) with quality ammo and I consider myself to be a much-better-than-average shooter with a semi-auto.

That's good shooting. I've fired a few rounds down two different 6920s. I found that good ammunition helped them immensely. Black Hills Match and Federal GMM both proved to make the 6920s I've fired sub-MOA guns. Its just very important to pay attention to fundamentals with them and they shoot quite well.

I have a LE 6920 with an ACOG 4X RCOM4 on it and the first 5 shoot 100 yard group I ever fired after zeroing the ACOG (with my reloads hand tailored for my Remington 223 PSS) went into 0.38 moa. I couldn't believe it. Unfortunately I have never been able to duplicate that group. But most of my groups are usually around 1.2 moa sometime closer to 1 moa. I sure it would do better with a scope with more than 4x magnification

Last edited:
My franken rifle (cheap surplus arms bbl) shoots sub moa with m193. I couldn't believe it the first time I shot! I think the rifle just happens to like it.

When I put a magnified optic on mine and shoot match or varmint bullets through mine, it is easily an moa rifle. I really have to focus on fundamentals to get it to shoot well, but my rifle is capable of surprisingly good accuracy.

My 6940 shoots a little under 3/4" with handloads and 1.5 X 5 scope off the bench.
Groups open up to 1 1/4" with Fed AE
I'm ok with that

My 6940 shoots a little under 3/4" with handloads and 1.5 X 5 scope off the bench.
Groups open up to 1 1/4" with Fed AE
I'm ok with that

The problem with that comparison is that the 6940 has several "upgrades" on the 6920, including perhaps most importantly, a free-floated barrel thanks to the mono upper/handguard setup which puts it at a distinct advantage over the base 6920.

The problem with that comparison is that the 6940 has several "upgrades" on the 6920, including perhaps most importantly, a free-floated barrel thanks to the mono upper/handguard setup which puts it at a distinct advantage over the base 6920.

I agree with ORD as usual. Comparing the 6940 to the 6920 is apples and oranges. But both are fine carbine in their own right.

I bought one for my nephew and he is going under 1 moa also. It's just going to get better as technology and manufacturing techniques improve. Enjoy the ride!

With a trigger upgrade and match ammo, quality AR's can be impressive. That is 30 shots straight, averaging .676". Sub 3/4 MOA on factory ammunition!

ORD,
This was very informative.
So I see that I did get sort of lucky with this rifle.
At the same time, I think that Colt’s manufacturing process has improved, like other manufacturers (as stated by Kilemore on this thread).
So my thought is the following. People think that rifles like RRA are more accurate than Colt. But maybe it’s because they compare this to older Colts. Maybe the accuracy of recently manufactured barrels from Colt is on par with RRA.
BTW the 1.38” is not with military ball ammo. It’s with American eagle 223 (and not 5.56) 55g). I did update my original post as I had previously only stated “cheap 55g rounds”.

Full of WIN!! ;)

The biggest limitations with the 6920 in my experience are multifaceted. First and foremost...they generally are NOT run as "precision" rigs in terms of how they are equipped (optics, sights, etc.), nor, by virtue of the components used to make them are they designed to be precision rifles (mil-spec trigger, non-free floated barrel, etc.), but battle rifles capable of approx. 2MOA accuracy (although most I have fired with decent fodder will achieve better results...closer to 1.5 or slightly better). Furthermore, they generally get run with far from "match quality" ammo...in fact, most will never see anything aside from surplused 55gr ball and the like which hardly serves as a good basis for testing any rifle's accuracy. And last but certainly not least (as you observed)...most shooters don't generally run them well from the outset which never helps matters in terms of "accuracy" assessments (especially online ones) since all the best gear and ammo in the world won't miraculously turn a sub-par shooter into a precision marksman no matter what the cost. ;)

I'd say that considering all of the above ammo, including the results from basic 55gr ball, your particular rifle shows somewhat better than average accuracy. On the ones I have fired, I seldom was able to do much better than 1.5MOA (occasionally a 1MOA group would surface but not with any meaningful regularity) with quality ammo and I consider myself to be a much-better-than-average shooter with a semi-auto.

My first Colt AR15 was an SP1 with a pencil barrel compared to many others I have owned. It was sub-moa and out shot every H-bar Colt I had. My highest round count AR15 barrel is a 16" that is so accurate it is going onto a 3 gun build until it finally wears out. I have had the same things happen with Colt 1911's----some gov't models shoot like Gold Cup but it is the exception rather than the rule.

You should just run it on the shootout thread. Then you will have a good idea. Post your results regardless.

ORD,
This was very informative.
So I see that I did get sort of lucky with this rifle.
At the same time, I think that Colt’s manufacturing process has improved, like other manufacturers (as stated by Kilemore on this thread).
So my thought is the following. People think that rifles like RRA are more accurate than Colt. But maybe it’s because they compare this to older Colts. Maybe the accuracy of recently manufactured barrels from Colt is on par with RRA.
BTW the 1.38” is not with military ball ammo. It’s with American eagle 223 (and not 5.56) 55g). I did update my original post as I had previously only stated “cheap 55g rounds”.