• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing stock filler question

Field

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2006
Albemarle , NC
I am wanting to fill in and then re-cut HS stock for straight bolt handle but am unsure as to what I should use?

thanks

Re: stock filler question

To add weight, I've heard of people using lead shot or bb's in the voids mixed with some kind of epoxy or resin. Or maybe a formed chunk of lead glued in.

West makes some good epoxies, you can choose anything from glass flock, microballoons baking soda.....etc as epoxy filler.

An extremely easy process in which you can use Marine Tex. Seen it done, and have done it my self. Good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving.

I was hoping someone would say Marine Tex or Devcon. I have both on hand and of coarse will be using for the bedding.

Thanks

If this gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling, when McMillan beds one of their stocks for a customer, they fill that space and hand cut it with a die grinder and a single flute cutter ( pencil grinder ). It gives the rifle a very custom fit and look. That's where I seen it done with Marine Tex.

If you want to add a little density for extra weight, you can mix some sand in with whatever epoxy or resin you decide to use. Did it on my Savage AccuStock and gained about 2 lbs. Really made a difference once I got it to the range and it was great for 200 rounds while I saved for a new stock. No doubt it would have held if I kept it.

Scuff the dog snot out of it.

Get rid of all the paint.

Mix up some resin with baking soda. Clay/tape up a dam to keep it from oozing.

Pour, go watch TV, come back and begin the task of knocking it out the way you want it.

Baking soda ROCKS for this kind of stuff. If you have pin holes (and you will) don't sweat it. Pack some more soda in the holes and use thin CA (superglue) available at any hobby shop that deals in RC planes/cars. Just be careful and have it ventilated.

Thin CA and soda react almost instantaneously and the fumes are like a face full of mace.

We do this stuff 6 days a week at my shop. Works awesome and is dirty cheap/fast.

Any two part epoxy will work fine. Buy the ketchup squeeze bottles at the hobby shop while your at it. Don't the get the 5 minute as it doesn't leave any time to work it.

15 minute or the regular stuff is best imo.

The nice thing about baking soda that never gets mentioned, if you mix your resin so hot it bursts into flames......the soda puts it out. It's a win-win!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The nice thing about baking soda that never gets mentioned, if you mix your resin so hot it bursts into flames......the soda puts it out. It's a win-win! </div></div>
laugh.gif