• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock for a M5 308?

BlackdogGS

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2019
Luth, PRS, Vltor or XLR? My build is already at 10 pounds and I’m trying to save weight where I can. What are you using? This rife will be mostly a bench gun but I’d like the option of hunting with it also. It’s an Aero M5 with a Krieger 20” barrel. Thanks.

Magpul MOE fixed, their version of the A2? It’s pretty lightweight.

I tried that with a CTR but switched out to a UBR. The balance is much better and it feels a bit more stable.

Most stocks for ar rifles suck at a bench, because they won’t ride a bag with a shit. A handy carbine will be a less than ideal bench gun and a bench gun will be a less than handy carbine. I have magpul prs stocks on a few rifles. They are my choice. The Luth is lighter, but the adjustments are not really user friendly (by comparison) and the stock has an overall less sturdy appearance. I don’t have any experience with the xlr, but it is lighter than the prs by a fair margin. Also cheaper, given that it comes with the tube and hardware. I may go this route on a build I have in the works...

X2 on the UBR, mainly due to adjustability in LOP. Rock solid. But it does sort of suck when it comes to riding a bag. I have heavily modified stocks before and I am still thinking of a way to improve it's time on a bag

I’m running a magpul acs in mine.
2BF2EA83-66E2-4F53-A668-D7DE49186855.jpeg

UBR gen 2 on my 20 incher...can't believe how solid the thing locks up.
Another great thing about it is the integreated buffer tube that is A5 length. Allows the use of a carbine buffer in it.

z7MBrLP.jpg

I really like this one. I'm blanking hard on the brand, but I'll check when I get home. Cheek riser and inserts for LOP. Cheek locks down pretty good once set.
Screenshot_20191003-152008_Gallery.jpg

After some quick googling because it was bugging me....That's a seekins precision 10x.

If you want top of the line quality and light weight XLR is what you want... if you want heavy stock for bench/barricade shooting then MAGPUL PRS.

Last edited:
On my M5 I went with a Hogue overmolded fixed A2:

buttstock_fixed_main.jpg

The Hogue is 11.1 ounces with built in QD mounts. I have a MOE Fixed A2 on another rifle and is nice but its 14 ounces before adding the QD mounts that are not included. I tried to build as light a rifle as I could without resorting to exotic parts. My M5 without optic weighs in at 8.4 pounds.

Luth, PRS, Vltor or XLR? My build is already at 10 pounds and I’m trying to save weight where I can. What are you using? This rife will be mostly a bench gun but I’d like the option of hunting with it also. It’s an Aero M5 with a Krieger 20” barrel. Thanks.
I run the seekins on a few rigs now. It's an awesome stock and is really lightweight. I first put one on an rpr 308 and was sold from that point. I now have 2 on gas guns and 2 on bolt rifles and am happy . The sling cups are really solid as well .Also i am 6'2 and like a fairly long length of pull but didn't have to use the spacers provided. You will need a rifle length tube as well.

I run the seekins on a few rigs now. It's an awesome stock and is really lightweight. I first put one on an rpr 308 and was sold from that point. I now have 2 on gas guns and 2 on bolt rifles and am happy . The sling cups are really solid as well .Also i am 6'2 and like a fairly long length of pull but didn't have to use the spacers provided. You will need a rifle length tube as well.

I've never seen the Seekins before...I might need to check that out for my RPR.

I've never seen the Seekins before...I might need to check that out for my RPR.

I don't remember how I found it at first, but it doesn't come up very well if you Google fixed stock or similar. It really is a good stock though.

I have the Luth-AR MBA-1 and it's both lightweight and solid. Very adjustable for cheekweld height and LOP; it's designed for the A2 fixed receiver extension/buffer tube.

For adjustable Carbine buffer tubes, the MBA-3 is the equivalent.

The MBA-2 and MBA-4 are the same base stocks without the added adjustments.

Luth-AR.

Greg

I know light weight is all the rage know but remember since you might be hunting with it you might want to think about how the rifle balances out. It makes a difference in how a rifle feels and performs.

I spoke with Ryan @MDT_OFFICIAL while at PRS two weekends ago, I asked him about the stock his answer was “Yes & No. The buffer and spring will function, but the charging handle and cheek rest interfere. If you have a side charger upper it’ll work.”
Yes, that is correct, the charging handle will hit the cheek riser. With a side charger, it will work without issue.

I have an A2 Stock on my Aero build - I like the shape for use with a Triad wedge bag. Also, mine was laying and needed something to go on. I have a Magpul MOE on a 5.56 build that I may try as well.

I'm stuck in CA, where telescoping stocks are evil, so I just bought a Lancer LCS carbon fiber stock for my M5 build. At ~10oz, it should be pretty handy. They also make an EFX stock that's plastic and weighs around 18oz. Both should offer good cheek support with standard height optics.
Lancer-Carbon-Fiber-Buttstock-3.jpg

stock.png

I just installed my PRS and found it 1” too long. Magpul makes a 1/2” thinner recoil pad so I’ll get that and see if it’s enough. Kinda thinking I should have gone another route.

Reactions: drewthebrave
I’m returning the PRS and will probably go with the UBR. Any of you using the UBR? Pros/Cons?