• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock for a Win M70

blksno

I don't have one
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2009
    SD
    Hey fellas. I've got a M70 .243. My first rifle my father ever let me hunt with and on my 30th birthday back in October, he gifted it to me.

It needs some work to become the shooter I want it to be and so I'm planing to re-barrel and get a new stock.

I've been looking at the T5A, simply because I've fallen in love with the feel after getting to handle Skinney's .260.

I'm wondering if anyone has some other stock suggestions for the M70. Some of the things I really liked...like the XLR Chassis, aren't offered in M70.

Anyone with suggestions on options for this build...lemme know.
    I'm not set in stone on sticking with a .243, .260 or 7-08...but I'm not opposed to choosing another SA build with a new bolt either.

I'm looking for something a little more precision oriented than my .300 SAUM gas gun, that will reach out as far or farther. It's going to be a 200-300 round a year rifle, that will mostly be for hunting and I reload so brass, bullets, barrel life are not really a concern. Also, my hunting style doesn't limit the weight or length, so that's also not a concern. A 30" heavy barrel wouldn't bother me if it came down to it.

What say you?

Re: Stock for a Win M70

I had a win model 70 and didn't find much more than McMillan or Manners with regard to aftermarket stock offerings. Hogue makes an over mould stock, but that didn't really fit what I was looking for. So you're on the right track as far as the T5A. This company http://www.eberlestock.com makes a stock for the win 70 but the design and style may not suite your needs.

I don't have much to add for the rest of your questions but I can speak to the win 70 stock selection issues. Best of luck.

As an aside, Kyle should be able to make you an XLR chassis for your Model 70, if that's what you really want.

I have a McMillan A4 on my post-64 long action, and love it. It's hard to go wrong with a McMillan or Manners.

You can get the XLR fir an FN.. I thought FN had the same foot print as a Winchester?

If I am correct in this you can go with anything for an FN.

Thanks Dantrom, I wasn't aware of that lil tidbit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Dantrom, I wasn't aware of that lil tidbit.</div></div>

I'd double check on this, I used to have a win 70 and was looking for the same info, and was reading that FN bought Winchester and basically remade a m70 and called it an SPR..?

I didn't look into it any further than that to verify this info, because my father-in-law ended up buying the rifle.

Hope this helps

reply from XLR about it's use for a Win M70...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The model 70 is similar except that the trigger well is different. I would need to have a Model 70 in hand to produce a direct bolt on.

Thanks,

Kyle Miller ~ XLR Industries
    www.xlrindustries.com
    970.985.9150</div></div>

I have a McMillan A2 on a SA in .308. I really like it because of the MTU contour barrel. It seems to "fit the build."