• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock for straight contour barrel / full bull

browning442

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2014
Anyone have experience with NON-CHASSIS stocks for R700 footprint, that will accommodate a straight contour barrel?

I've done some searching and can't find a lot of info on this, HS precision does have one model to accomodate a full bull barrel profile, but wondering if anyone knows another option for this. Seems kind of rare in a traditional style stock.

Thanks

The term “bull” barrel has different meanings from one company to another. What is your barrel length and muzzle diameter?

They all start out as flat tops, you can inlet it to whatever diameter barrel you want. Most tactical model stocks are wide enough to handle it, wrap some super gritty sand paper on a dowel and get to sanding.

Reactions: jcmullis2
Spife7980 makes a good point. If you wanna open up the barrel channel his method works like a charm. If you’re a little ocd like myself get progressively larger dowels to make keeping things centered easier. Course sandpaper until you get nearly finished then finer grit to finish. I suggest sealing the fiberglass when you’re finished. You can find used hs precision stocks on eBay at a discount over new.

Reactions: browning442
I ordered a wood stock from Richards Microfit with a 1.25 straight channel. Rough peice of lumber, but the channel looked good.

Reactions: browning442
May have to go the sanding route... done it MANY times as i usually go cheap on stocks and end up needing to inlet for larger barrels. Manners does have one ready to ship... i may go that route if i can sell my EH1. I actually just sanded out a proof sendero contour to work with a Kreiger heavy varmint. Just thought i would see if there was any readily available out there to begin with.

Spife7980 makes a good point. If you wanna open up the barrel channel his method works like a charm. If you’re a little ocd like myself get progressively larger dowels to make keeping things centered easier. Course sandpaper until you get nearly finished then finer grit to finish. I suggest sealing the fiberglass when you’re finished. You can find used hs precision stocks on eBay at a discount over new.

What do you like to seal the channel with, standard paint?

Choate.

I have a pair of these on identical (except 308 vs 223) Savage Varmint barreled actions; mine are inletted for Savage 11VT's. They have about 1/4' clearance all around the Savage Varmint barrel. They are solid and substantial, the barrel channel will accommodate just about anything up to 1.25", and have a molded-in aluminum bedding block. Mine are set up with this cheek rest, and Choate LOP spacers. With longer screws you can keep on adding spacers. My LOP is 16.5".

To custom contour a barrel channel to exactly match your barrel; this tape. It should be 5mil tape, or .005" thick, or .13mm. Run the tape lengthwise on the bottom of the barrel, centered, from the recoil lug to out beyond where the forend ends. Do at least five layers, and more if you wish to allow for a bit better barrel cooling. Coat the tape, and anything else even vaguely related to where Bondo may squeeze into beyond the barrel channel, with release agent.

Do a few dry runs of the following process. Lay out everything you'll use where you can immediately grab it once the process begins. Keep Acetone and already crunched wads of paper towel handy, too; for cleaning up any goofs ASAP, too.

Apply Bondo in the channel, keep the stock with forend down, then immediately seat the receiver and torque down it lightly. Immediately clean up any Bondo seepage. Allow to fully cure.

Remove the action bolts, and tap the barrel loose with a rubber mallet. Remove any excess cured Bondo, and you can probably ignore any bubbles unless they will show once the barrel is back in place; your choice.

Sand the top of the barrel channel to be smooth with the stock edge. Mask off the stock outside the channel, and spray paint the channel black, or any other color of your choice.

Greg

Last edited:
Damn Greg I always forget about Choate but with a description like that it’s hard to ignore! Thanks for the in depth explanation - I will look into the choate route!