• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock options for Remington 700 .308 Milspec

Hadwyn

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I recently purchased a Remington 700 5R in .308 Win with a 24" milspec barrel in a 1:11.2" twist. It came with what appears to be an HS Precision stock that Remington commissioned for this rifle (if anyone can clarify or correct me on that please do so). I'm not a fan of the stock and would like to upgrade to a McMillan or Manners A5 (haven't decided which yet). While I deliberate I also need to confirm some of the details on inletting and bedding. Being fairly new to the sport I've learned a bit glancing at various forums but would like some straight confirmation and advice, if possible, on what I need to consider with a stock upgrade.

First, on inletting, I'm finding conflicting information on whether this rifle has a varmint/sendero or M24 type barrel. Most seem to lean toward the latter but if someone is sure please let me know.

Second, on bedding, I plead ignorance on which I need, if any. I believe the factory 5R stock has an aluminum block bedding. Is this sufficient for a rifle? Are pillars always coupled with a bedding block and are they even necessary? If I get an A5 stock from McMillan or Manners do I have to bed it (epoxy/milled and/or pillar) or does it come bedded for the inlet I purchase? Is bedding an A5 from either of these manufacturers necessary for reliable accuracy or does it only have a small difference in that? What can I expect to pay for a quality bedding job (epoxy/milled and/or pillar) for a stock that doesn't have it, and anyone happen to know if McMillan or Manners offer that?

Thanks all.

Contour 5r has a varmint, the barrel was originally going to be put on an m24 but they turned it down and put it on the 5r. I think that's where you are getting it confused.

Ok an aluminum bedding block is sufficient for a rifle. Manners has one, AI uses them, KRG uses it, basically all chassis systems use a block. Pillars are a separate thing from a bedding block. You will want pillars (necessity) when you buy a stock, both mcmillan and manners can have that put in and inlet the stock to fit the remington action or you could have your smith do it. Now bedding although no necessarily a necessity, it is if you want consistency (I think its a necessity for a stock). I think it cost around $250 - 300 to get it done, I can't remember.

Research a little more before you make your decision.

Contour 5r has a varmint, the barrel was originally going to be put on an m24 but they turned it down and put it on the 5r. I think that's where you are getting it confused.

Ok an aluminum bedding block is sufficient for a rifle. Manners has one, AI uses them, KRG uses it, basically all chassis systems use a block. Pillars are a separate thing from a bedding block. You will want pillars (necessity) when you buy a stock, both mcmillan and manners can have that put in and inlet the stock to fit the remington action or you could have your smith do it. Now bedding although no necessarily a necessity, it is if you want consistency (I think its a necessity for a stock). I think it cost around $250 - 300 to get it done, I can't remember.

Research a little more before you make your decision.

So youre saying that if his new stock only comes with the bedding block that he should have pillars also installed? I always thought that pillars were from back in the day when they were needed for wood stocks so as to not compress the wood. Are the stocks today that come with aluminum bedding blocks still acceptable to compression of the action bolts?

Thanks

Stock options for Remington 700 .308 Milspec

He does not need pillars with an aluminum block. The block replaces what the pillars do.

Most stocks don't have a block. Those that don't need pillars to take stress out of the stock and be repeatable, now glass bedding adds further reinforcement and takes more stress out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You have a Remington 700 with a varmint contour barrel. Your stock options are all of the stocks. Just about anyone who makes stocks for rifles makes a stock that will fit your rifle. There are two ways to obtain the sort of consistent stock contact that everyone on this forum agrees is necessary for acceptable accuracy. They are an aluminum chassis or bedding. If you get a Macmillan they are all fiberglass composite and must be bedded. If you get a manners stock you have the option of ordering it with a mini-chassis that does not require bedding.

To further complicate matters, people who make custom rifles and thus do bedding work recommend that you "skim bed" a chassis. This involves filling any gaps that are caused by the machining of either the action or the chassis. Whether or not this is necessary is up for debate.

Basically you want the points of contact between the rifle and the stock to be the same all of the time. Manufacturers create products that have inconsistencies which, though small, are large enough that they are likely to affect accuracy. Bedding involves putting fiberglass or epoxy in the stock in a malleable state and pressing the action into it to form a shape that exactly matches the action. When it hardens the stock and the action will fit together perfectly and prevent the action from moving around in the stock. When the action moves around in the stock it causes inconsistency and inconsistency results in inaccuracy. So....

Hope this helps.

Thanks all. Glad to have the barrel contour cleared up, that opens up more options for me (stock with an M24 inlet seem scarce).

So if I understand correctly, you can either get an aluminum chassis or pillar bedding, and fiberglass/epoxy bedding in addition to either? If so, which is better, aluminum or pillar? And fiberglass or epoxy (or something else)?

Stocks can be opened up to m24 inlet, provided they have enough room which most do.

Let your gunsmith deal with the bedding they will most likely use marine tex or devcon. It's doesn't matter if you use a chassis block or pillars if you bed. But removing skim bedding from a chassis kind sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just get a manners with the mini chassis and call it a day. That's what I did with my 5r. I bought the manners t4-a, and I love it. Solid stock.

The Manners T4/T4A option with the aluminum drop-in chassis sounds intriguing, if I could find a black one in stock anyone.

If I wanted to get a McMillan A5, would I need an aluminum chassis, and can I buy one for the 5R after? Is pillar bedding an alternative for an aluminum chassis, or would/should you have both? And do I need either an aluminum chassis or pillars in place in order to epoxy bed it?

A quick search on the web will show you some in stock dealers. If you need custom options your going to have to buy direct from manners. I bought mine from cs tactical. When I installed mine it didn't need to be bedded but you can do whatever makes you happy in your dreams of chasing every ounce of accuracy. Tom Manners even suggest not having to bed his mini chassis.