• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock or Suppressor?

SquidHC

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2011
Oregon
Hello all,

I finally purchased my first bolt action rifle. It is a Remington 700 AAC-SD in 308.

My intent with this rifle is to improve my fundamentals as well as to hunt with it. I probably won't be shooting out past 300 yards or so (for now). I also won't be shooting in any competitions.

I have equipped it with a Harris 6"-9" bipod, Badger 20 moa base, Vortex Matched rings "low", Vortex Viper PST 6-24.

I have a little money left and am trying to decide where to spend it. I was considering either upgrading the stock or purchasing a suppressor.

I really like the idea of a suppressor because I don't like to wear ear protection while hunting. That said, everyone says the Hogue stocks suck.

Re: Stock or Suppressor?

The Hogue stock is not rigid enough: You won't be able to bed the action on a solid foundation and free-float the barrel until you change the stock.

suppressor. for the amount of time it takes to get one, you will have your stock by then.

when i was infected with the NFA disorder a year ago, someone told me they shop for a suppressor first, glass second, then the rifle.

you can upgrade the stock at anytime, suppressor, not so much.

I would say get the stock first. Get you a good solid foundation up and running before you go putting the "cool" stuff on it.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">suppressor. for the amount of time it takes to get one, you will have your stock by then.

when i was infected with the NFA disorder a year ago, someone told me they shop for a suppressor first, glass second, then the rifle.

you can upgrade the stock at anytime, suppressor, not so much. </div></div>

I'll second that. I own more suppressors than weapons knowing full well that I can go pick up a gun any day of the week and be ready to put it behind a can. I guess it comes down to this. I refuse to shoot without one (a can) now that I have them. If you aren't already addicted, maybe its no big deal to you.
Your suppressor can go on a lot of different hosts. Your stock is going to be mated to one rifle. Diversify.

By the time your suppressor shows up, you'll have recouped the cost and be ready to put a new stock on it anyway. (depending of course on how fast you accumulate expendable income)

That stock will have to be replaced at some point, but it doesn't require a tax stamp or a 6+ month wait. I'd say if you can swing it go ahead and order the suppressor. Save your nickels after that and chances are by the time the suppressor gets in your hands the rifle will be wearing a new stock. The NFA/tax stamp wait is brutally long.

Get the stock Ive got a SPS tactical with a can on it in 223 .Shoots like shit. The hoque stock will not provide enough clearance with the extra wieght and pressure of bipod pressing up. At least thats what I believe my problem is.

Thanks. Have spoken to many people now and most say the stock is the better investment. Also, I am moving to New Zealand in June and can buy a suppressor over the counter, no wait time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">suppressor. for the amount of time it takes to get one, you will have your stock by then.

you can upgrade the stock at anytime, suppressor, not so much.</div></div>

this...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SquidHC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. Have spoken to many people now and most say the stock is the better investment. Also, I am moving to New Zealand in June and can buy a suppressor over the counter, no wait time.</div></div>

well then... stock... cans are cheep there, get both...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SquidHC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. Have spoken to many people now and most say the stock is the better investment. Also, I am moving to New Zealand in June and can buy a suppressor over the counter, no wait time. </div></div>

So why were you even considering buying a suppressor when you wouldn't be approved before you move OCONUS, even if a dealer had it in stock?

I don't use ear protection while hunting unless there is a muzzle brake on the rifle. Cans are nice but not necessary. I would take a good stable set-up over a suppressor.