• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock pack?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I have seen a few pics of rifles with a stock pack on the buttstock of the rifle.
Are these just to hold ammo, or are they used in place of a raised cheekpiece?
Can one be used with a raised cheekpiece?
Do they improve the cheekweld? If so- how?

Jim

Re: Stock pack?

Eagle stock packs are usually what you see.

They serve to raise cheekweld slightly and to hold ammo.

I havnt used one but I would imagine you could pack material under it to raise the cheekweld.

Thanks Steve. Even with the high cheekpiece that I installed it seems like having my head just a touch higher would be good.
Will yours fit on a stock that has a raised comb, or does the stock have to be, stock.

Jim

Jim,

It depends on the stock. If you have some sort of adjustable comb or saddle, you may have problems with the amount of adjustment in the straps. I have seen photos of stock packs on rifles with saddles (M40A3) and it looks ugly, but it works. Adding the stock pack to an adjustable comb is only needed if you want the padding or storage, otherwise, just raise the comb more.

If you have a fixed stock and need more elevation, there are two common and easy options.

1. mouse pad/foam + duct tape
2. hook and loop.

Here is a link to a good thread on the hook on loop:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1841363#Post1841363

My Savage 10FCO came in a Choate Tactical stock. It came with 2 cheekpieces, one low and the other high. I went with the high piece to get my eye more directly behind my scope. I installed a Vortex Viper using Seekins low rings and a Farrell 20moa mount.

Jim

Get some foam pipe insulation and pad the stock under your stock pack.

Pepperbell,

You can get some height with a stock pack with foam cheek-rest. "Duck-taping" some foam underneath will give you a little more height but to a limit.

I tried a rifle stock pack, but did not get enough cheek rest height adjustment. I have a Nightforce NXS 56mm objective scope so the eye alignment is fairly high. I installed a Karsten adjustable cheek-piece to get a higher cheek rest. Then looped some old straps around the cheek piece on one side, and cut holes to allow the screws to go through. This allows me to attach an ammo carrier or bag on one side. With the extra strap looping I attached my rear bag. I like this opinion better as it doesn't move around like a stock pack can, and it gives me a more consistent and higher cheek rest position.

copy/pasted from a prior post HERE :
To get my cheek/stock interaction true, I cut a scrap piece of foam to size for 'lift' under my Eagle Pack...
Eagle001.jpg

+1 for Tac Ops stock pack, holds more ammo then the eagle....

Does anyone know who might have a black RH Eagle Stock Pack in stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ath23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+ 1 for tac ops stock pack....i have both a tac ops and eagle and prefer the tac ops</div></div>

+2

I have four TacOps and one Eagle ... much prefer the TacOps. As someone mentioned, just throw a piece of pipe insulation under, torque it down, and rock and roll.

Hey Triad, just picked up one of the stock packs in multicam for the ol 5R. Looks like a quality product. By the way, your site is pretty dang cool

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the Eagles. Haven't tried a Tac Ops. </div></div>
They are basically the same thing, same quality etc.... except the Tac Ops has more ammo loops.

Triad also sells a version of the Eagle pack that does away with the outside ammo loops in favor of a larger pocket. The new pocket looks big enough for a couple of aics mags and a few other accessories. I haven't tried one yet, but I'll be ordering one soon.

If you haven't already taken a look at the TAC READY Mag Pack you might give it a consideration.

We designed the Mag Pack with a pocket that the shooter can insert cardboard, foam, or anything else they would like and thus provide for a raised comb height to accommodate shooting with scopes with large objective lenses.

And, you can carry a spare AICS magazine or just a box of ammo right there on your stock.

Picture below shows a white piece of foam partially inserted into the height adjustment pocket on the Mag Pack

magpack_flat_300_trans.jpg

Thanks for looking.

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the Eagles. Haven't tried a Tac Ops. </div></div>
They are basically the same thing, same quality etc.... except the Tac Ops has more ammo loops.</div></div>

Not completely. The TacOps pocket is cut and sewn differently. I can get two Savage mags in it, but not in the Eagle, which is deeper but not as long. And the longer ammo loop on the TacOps makes the pocket more rigid so I can more easily yank the zipper open instead of it binding at an angle as the material folds up, as it often does on the Eagle.

Just personal preference, though.

ALShooter,
Check out the SOTECH stock pack. We carry them in Lefty, and should have them in stock. The difference is our zipper opens from the Front, so you don't have to reach behind your head to open it when on the glass.
I have an Eagle, and it works great. The Tac Ops is well built. Ultimately it is your comfort and experience level which will determine which is best for you.
Call Omar at 1-800-615-9007, and check on availability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsp212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get some foam pipe insulation and pad the stock under your stock pack. </div></div>
why does this remind me of stuffing a bra?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knight_dive</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Triad also sells a version of the Eagle pack that does away with the outside ammo loops in favor of a larger pocket. The new pocket looks big enough for a couple of aics mags and a few other accessories. I haven't tried one yet, but I'll be ordering one soon. </div></div>

I got a few of these back in stock and have updated the online inventory:

http://www.triadtactical.com/Large-Rifle-Stock-Pack.html

Jumping in late... Blackhawk pads are cheap, and IMHO you get what you pay for. Eagle stock pack is more expensive - but IMHO it is worth it.

I personally use a Multicam Eagle cheek piece. Good stuff. In the past if I needed to raise one up for a perticular rifle I would just use a computer mouse pad, they are cheap and thin enough to make small adjustments by layering. Your imagination is the only thing that can hold you back on this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: evilmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check red tact gear for cheek pads and other rifle gear, solid stuff.
http://www.redtacgear.com
</div></div>

Just placed an order with Triad Tactical for the Eagle stock pack. Steve was extremely helpful with the order!

I wish someone would shorten their pack about .75" so it will clear the charging handle on an a2 stocked AR platform.

what B4 said, but if larger increments are needed I use issue puss pad foam, works great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsp212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get some foam pipe insulation and pad the stock under your stock pack. </div></div>
why does this remind me of stuffing a bra? </div></div>

I saw that post here and got some 2" pipe insulation, cut it half and stuck it on my A5 under my tac ops pack. Fit like a glove and gave me enough height to get a much better cheek weld. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish someone would shorten their pack about .75" so it will clear the charging handle on an a2 stocked AR platform. </div></div>
i wish someone would convince everyone else to stop putting charging handles in the rear of the upper like that and put it where it belongs on the left side.

I use the Triad Tactical Eagle Large stock Pack.
It wasn't quite high enough so I taped a section of puss pad on the stock underneath.
The pouch is large enough to hold a complete PMCS kit based off of the Otis Sniper kit, all the tools I need, a laser boresighting cartridge, and a MilDot Master.

EagleTriadlargestockpack.jpg

I took strips of 1-1/2" Nylon webbing and cut them to length (making sure that with the stock pack and nylon on, you can still remove the bolt), and just added one strip at a time to the top of the butt-stock and then put the stock-pack on it and got a very accurate natural point of aim where I can just lay down on the rifle and as soon as my cheek is mounted on the pad, I'm spot-on.

Duck tape it when its done and you've got a perfect-height cheek wield (you can adjust it up or down the thickness of nylon webbing - which makes for pretty exact cheek-wield).

Its kind of firm/hard, but there's no give and its comfortable enough with the padding of the Eagle on it.

Did the same thing to my son's rifle - his fits his tiny face perfect.

762slinger,

Large Stock Pack looks good, nice to see that you have had a chance to "use" it already!