• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock painting question, Krylon/Duracoat?

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
I am really not wanting to spend over double the price on buying all of the colors I need in duracoat, so my question is if I prep the surface correctly and apply my krylon colors and give them all the right amount of time to dry and once finished go over it with duracoat matte clear a time or two will it hold up better than just average krylon? Also it will be on Manners stocks what is the best way to prep them? Thanks

Ben

Last edited:
I've had excellent results on several stocks and various AR parts using proper surface prep, either Krylon or Rustoleum, and topping with Rustoleum matte clear. If you topcoat with Duracoat matte clear I would expect the end result to hold up nearly the same as if you had used Duracoat for all coats.

I haven't done a Manners, but on various plastics I've done my surface prep with a couple cycles of household cleaner/degreaser (Lysol and a knockoff brand) followed by rinsing with HOT tap water until surface feels completely free of grease or detergent, then letting it air dry and handling it as little as possible so the oils in my skin don't contaminate it. YMMV but I have not had any adhesion problems at all - the only finish wear I've experienced has been where metal parts (AR charging handle, sling loop) were heavily rubbing on the paint. Follow the paint instructions carefully including dry and recoat times, and not recoating outside the window for the paint you're using.

Isn't your time worth something? Two cans of Krylon are going to set you back half as much as a Shake n Spray kit, throw on the money for the clear coat...and well...your at the price of a kit.
Why not just do it right? The kit comes with everything you need to do it properly; then there's no having to strip it all down again because your efforts to save $10 didnt work.

If I am rattlecanning the entire rifle, optics, bipod et al, I use Avore in a can from Brownells. If I am doing a stock that is supposed to look nice I use durcoat or cerakote air dry

So rattle can with Duracoat over isn't going to hold up like I am wanting it to? That sucks... Was hoping not to dump to much into this paint job.. I have heard Duracoat or Polane-T is the best on stocks, true? I might also look into KG Gunkote air dry since it's cheaper!

Ben

What's the intended purpose of the rifle? You gonna be out in the woods a lot or is it a range rifle? Multi-colored camo or single color range rifle? If it gets used in the woods much, I'd Krylon it so you can change or vary the pattern "cheaply" to compliment the varied changes in landscape/vegetation for each season.
Krylon or Rustoleum will hold up better than you'd think.

So rattle can with Duracoat over isn't going to hold up like I am wanting it to?

I don't actually see anyone saying that. Just one person who thinks you might as well spend more $$ on Duracoat since your time has a value. I agree on time having a value - I'm just not convinced that Duracoat provides a meaningful improvement in durability. And I don't like using or cleaning airbrushes.

I am wanting to do a type of a pattern, one that won't look good if the paint starts chipping or wearing. So I would like it to be a durable as possible, but money is tight right now so I can't be dumping tons into it.

Ben

I used krylon on a 17HMR 2 yrs ago. did the whole rifle metal parts have some wear on the paint but the stock none at all but it is a wood boyds tacticool so it will adhere better i think. i started with a base just enough to cover then i used a mat clear let it dry for 24 hrs. then i sponged the camo in a flecktarn pattern followed by more clear it has held up amazingly well.

Krylon sticks pretty decent but if any solvents get under it, it will peel up. Prep is the key with any coating but even with that, if you scratch your clear, you will expose a compromised area. I have a flat clear coat that I offer that is the best thing I have ever used. PM me and I might be able to hook you up with a sample kit of my line of coatings in the colors you are wanting. If youre going to put the time in to prepping something right, you may as well only do it once.