Stock question

Bouldar

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2022
Georgia
I am thinking of building a hunting rifle in 300 win mag. I think I like a McMillan game warden adjustable. Would you consider trying to find one used? I want to use AICS mags.

larryh128

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 31, 2019
Michigan Thumb Area
Every now and then you will see one, not very often. I have bought used chassis/stocks. Some were bedded, a small amount of heat softens it and fairly easy to remove. $50 difference I would go new, 1/2 price used.

Reactions: Bouldar

Bouldar

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2022
Georgia
Forgive my ignorance, but…
What I have seen has said it is for a ADL/BDL. Will BDL work for AICS/DBM or is it a different cut for the stock?

larryh128

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 31, 2019
Michigan Thumb Area
Forgive my ignorance, but…
What I have seen has said it is for a ADL/BDL. Will BDL work for AICS/DBM or is it a different cut for the stock?
It's different cut but there are places that make bottom metal for aics that will fit BDL. Normally anything that takes aics will be listed as M5. Do you have a stock with BDL inlet? If so I may have a metal that will work.

larryh128

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 31, 2019
Michigan Thumb Area
Look for an inlet that states its for AICS mags. Then start researching places that make M5 bottom metal. Lots of them to choose from. Just a thought, if you go to a lightweight chassis you don't need bottom metal. They are set up for AICS. I use a couple on hunting rifles now.

Bouldar

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2022
Georgia
Look for an inlet that states its for AICS mags. Then start researching places that make M5 bottom metal. Lots of them to choose from. Just a thought, if you go to a lightweight chassis you don't need bottom metal. They are set up for AICS. I use a couple on hunting rifles now.
Thanks.
I just don’t like a chassis. I may convert one day but it just doesn’t feel right to me. I do see the benefits though. To each their own I guess.

ShtrRdy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2011
    High Plains
    If this is gonna be a carry around hunting rifle are you sure you want the extra weight from adjustability and detachable magazine?

larryh128

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    May 31, 2019
    Michigan Thumb Area
    The chassis I'm using is right at 3#. If you get a lightweight stock you need to factor in another 1/2# for bottom metal as well.

mcameron

Two Star General
    Minuteman
  • Nov 17, 2011
    If it hasn't already been bedded I'd consider a used stock.
    Just my opinion
    if it was well bedded, honestly its not that hard to grind out...ive ground out a few bedding jobs and all it really takes is a few minutes with a dremel...

if you dont mind the little extra work, buying a bedded stock is a good way to get a pretty decent deal...

Bouldar

Private
    Minuteman
    Apr 15, 2022
    Georgia
    If this is gonna be a carry around hunting rifle are you sure you want the extra weight from adjustability and detachable magazine?
    I haven’t done a lot of carrying around to be honest. I have never hunted in the mountains. I am just getting into a little distance. I have an adl and always wanted dbm. I have dbm now and like it. My newest rifle is adjustable and like it. I think they are worth it, for me.