• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock recommendations for a post-64 long action model 70

Hippy_Steve

Clownworld Research Corp LLC
Minuteman
May 4, 2018
Spokane, WA
I picked up my post-64 (mfg 1981) M70 from my new gunsmith today. He threaded the barrel for me so I could suppress it. He also shed light onto some serious problems on my rifle that I didn't know about.

A little background: This M70 is chambered in 300winmag and was given to me by my dad. Because I'm left handed, he had a custom manners stock made for me: a left cheeked monte carlo for a right handed long action post-64. A completely custom job. The gunsmith that did the work took 15 months and charged my dad god knows how much. My dad was really excited to give me this rifle. Since the new stock was installed, this rifle always had problems grouping. But I have always thought the poor groups were because of me, not the gun.

Today, on pick-up this rifle, my new gunsmith gave me some enlightening but depressing news. He found the following:
>too much material was initially removed from the receiver inlet
>most of this space was unevenly filled with bedding glass
>bottom metal was loose due to to uneven inlet wall support
>receiver screws were factory stock, thus too long and would bottom out on the bolt head and receiver tang. The old gunsmith's fix to this was to just back out the screws. This resulted in about 10 ft/lbs of torque holding down a 300winmag receiver

This new gunsmith not only gave me the above information, he cut down the receiver screws so that the receiver could be properly torqued down at no charge to me. He's earned a return customer. He also gave the free advice to consider getting a new stock. I'm taking his advice to heart: I need a new stock.

I know McMillan and Manners makes a rough inlet cut for long action post-64s, but I'm looking at a $1000 bill after everything is said and done. I'd consider a chassis if anyone made one, but no one does because there's so much variability in post-64 actions between 1965 and the mid 1990's. I'm not going to cheap out on this stock, but I do want to make the most educated choice of stock before I drop the dough. Do you guys have any stock recommendations for action like mine? The nuclear option is also on the table: I'll consider buying an entirely new rifle if this isn't worth fixing.

McMillan Hunter or Supergrade but Stocky shows them on backorder, under $600. You might give him a call. Also, it sounds like your current stock could work with enough bedding compound. I'd try that first for $150. For a magnum, I'd want one of the newer metal putty compounds. If your action screws have never been properly torqued, take it to the range and see how it shoots, now that it's solidly screwed down.

I ordered ready to go Manners T3 for a FN SPR (M70 short action) about five years ago. The inlet for the bottom metal was too deep. Sent it back for a fix, but it never quite fit right. Sold it because I just didn’t like the T3 shape. That’s my one off experience.

I also have or have had 4-5 McMillans for Model 70s. A couple A3s, a HTG, and a Win Marksman. All have been perfect inlets. Definitely need bedding for ultimate accuracy, but no fit issues. The Marksman is on a post 64 long action with one piece bottom metal. McMillan inlet for Model 70s is great in my experience.

McMillan Hunter or Supergrade but Stocky shows them on backorder, under $600. You might give him a call. Also, it sounds like your current stock could work with enough bedding compound. I'd try that first for $150. For a magnum, I'd want one of the newer metal putty compounds. If your action screws have never been properly torqued, take it to the range and see how it shoots, now that it's solidly screwed down.
Good advice. Maybe this rig is salvagable.

I ordered ready to go Manners T3 for a FN SPR (M70 short action) about five years ago. The inlet for the bottom metal was too deep. Sent it back for a fix, but it never quite fit right. Sold it because I just didn’t like the T3 shape. That’s my one off experience.

I also have or have had 4-5 McMillans for Model 70s. A couple A3s, a HTG, and a Win Marksman. All have been perfect inlets. Definitely need bedding for ultimate accuracy, but no fit issues. The Marksman is on a post 64 long action with one piece bottom metal. McMillan inlet for Model 70s is great in my experience.
I was leaning towards McMillian, but domdoc has a good point. I'll call mcmillian on monday and get a price quote.

Get a McMillan. Manners m70 inlet leaves much to be desired. After two MCS-Ts that we’re never right, I ordered a McMillan Varmint off of Gunstox and it was perfect. Just had to install a recoil pad, bed the lug and paint it. You can also look for a used “hunters edge” model stock on eBay or the like. They’re made by McMillan.

Edit:

No affiliation with the seller, but this is a decent deal. The featherweight shape is nice and trim for a hunting rifle and is ambidextrous without a cheek piece.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Winchester-M...460895?hash=item4d7b15149f:g:q9kAAOSwgd1bf05l

Last edited: