• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock Remington 700 5R VS Custom on a $1600 budget

daburrrninator

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
I thought I was sold on getting a 700 5R package that includes a Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 Mildot for $1500 but after reading a few threads there seems to be good recommendations on custom rifles.

The one thing attracting me to a custom is the ability to get an adjustable stock.

So far I have not read any bad reviews of the 5R, everything I have read indicates this is "the most accurate mass produced rifle out of the box"

That is why I was sold on it but is it possible to put together a custom rifle that is as accurate as the 5R with an adjustable stock and still maintain a $1600 budget?

I wouldn't mind the Buckmaster scope but I would prefer a Monarch or possibly a Millet TRS-1.

The one thing I don't want to budge on too much is on the budget. I'm willing to go slightly above $1600 if the extra $$ is worth it, but I really don't want to get near $2000.

I will only be using this for target, possibly at a later date tactical shooting.

I want a rifle that will keep me busy for a long time and feel like I can get better with it and not have to replace it within a short period of time.

Re: Stock Remington 700 5R VS Custom on a $1600 budget

I'm in he same boat. My plans are to get a 5R and cut/crown/thread for surefire brake but I also want to put it in a Manners T2A/5 Color camo stock. Was also thinking of adding the new Manners bottom metal to it as well. I figure the rifle is 1,000+/- and the stock/bottom metal and all work is another 1,200. So total I would have around 2200 in it without scope. I mean the action still could be trued and some other little stuff but its still cheaper then a full custom and it's going to be about just as accurate more then likely. I have heard some good stuff about the 5R and thats why I want to go that route. I know it could be done easier...if I could just find a 5R barreled action I would be set cause that would save me some coin. I really don't see getting a full custom build for $1600. I say get the 5R add an adjustable cheek peice and maybe a cut/recrown/cerakote. I say cut and crown cause I love a short rifle. Mines gonna get cut to 18.5".

I'd say buy the 5R and shoot the damn thing first.

Worry about the upgrades later when it's proven worthy.

After the rifle I would spend the rest of your budget on optics.I think you`ll be pretty happy.Maybe further down the line have the action bedded.

Due to your budget, I would go with the set up your looking at. The 5R is a great starter gun. A custom build will end up costing at least twice what you have to spend. Upgrade the 5R AS you go.

The stock on the 5R is fine if you are on a budget. I would just keep it as it is and spend your money on the best optics you can buy. Down the road then you can up grade it to your liking. Optics is very important aspect of precision shooting. Often people forget about that and concentrate only on their rifle. Can't shoot what you can't see. JMHO

Although there are quite a few stocks out there that fit me (and I'm assuming a lot of other shooters as well) better, there isn't anything wrong with the H-S stocks either if you are keeping your build on a budget.

Skim bed the rifle into the factory stock, take the trigger down, and shoot the hell out of it. By the time you have funds to upgrade, you'll know exactly what you want to do anyways.

While my 5r is my newest, there is noting wrong with it out of the box. For your budget your only left with 600 for a base, rings and optic plus a stock pack / cheek riser.
That's not really much for good glass in my opinion. I would worry more about saving more for the optics than the stock. The B&C is fine.

I'm a newbie to the precision rifle arena, but I had similar plans. I was torn between either a 5R or an LTR. Trying to stay under $1,600 with the 5R, rings, rail and a good scope is going to be tough. Although it was a tough choice, I decided on a Rem. 700 LTR and am currently researching optics. If there are options out there to accomplish your goals, the Hide guys/gals will let you know about them. This place is great! Good luck.

There's also another thing holding me back from the 5R and that is the trigger. It just doesn't feel as nice as the Accutrigger.

I was strongly considering this, which I have copied and pasted from another thread. Except changing the stock to an adjustable one but B&C doesn't seem to make one for Savage actions.

Savage action from Northlander: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,1552.0.html

EGW base and TPS rings: $100.00
Super Sniper scope (either 10x or 16x) $300.00
Walter Barrel $300.00
B&C Stock $240.00

I have several nice rifles, two of them are 5R's, both in .308. I took a stock 5R to a local smith to have it shortened and threaded. No problem with it, easy sub-MOA shooter.

After doing the barrel threading the smith took it to the range and did some test shooting. When I next saw him he said that this was the type of rifle a custom smith hated to see, it shot too good. He showed me targets with single rough hole groupings at 100 yards from an out of the box rifle. I wasn't surprised...

This was not a fluke rifle either, that's why I bought a second one. There is no accurizing that would help, there is nothing more accurate about a custom build. Maybe they're all not like this, but in my case I have two that have saved me a bunch over buying custom sticks. If a custom smith tells you that you have a good one, you know they were made right because that's not something he wants to say.

At any rate, for the money its hard to beat a 5R, even if you do want to tweek it at some point. Get the 5R, shoot the heck out of it for a while, and decide if your next rifle should be a custom job. In my opinion, it's a lot of extra money for a small gain.

^^^ Amen Strat... the 5R is tough to beat. I'm sure I'll slowly build a crazy custon eventually; but when my 5R shoots sub-half inch 5-shot groups @ 100; I'll not be in much of a hurry... gives me time to fix the weakest link... ME!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daburrrninator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's also another thing holding me back from the 5R and that is the trigger. It just doesn't feel as nice as the Accutrigger.

I was strongly considering this, which I have copied and pasted from another thread. Except changing the stock to an adjustable one but B&C doesn't seem to make one for Savage actions.

Savage action from Northlander: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,1552.0.html

EGW base and TPS rings: $100.00
Super Sniper scope (either 10x or 16x) $300.00
Walter Barrel $300.00
B&C Stock $240.00
</div></div>

He's quote'n one of my old posts. I'm running that exact rig except I'm still running a Stevens 200 reciever and barrel. My rig is in my sig below and that is a 5rd group I shot at 100 with my handloads I've got worked up. Yes that is a nickel in the sig pic. I'm awaiting my VA benefits to hit and once they do I'll be ordering the lothar barrel.

Two weeks ago I went to Rayner's range and was hitting at 900 yards with my current setup. My current total is $900.00. I would get the Walter barrel outright if I was you and have money left over for a nice set of reloading equipment and still be under you budget.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.