• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Stoger 8000 9mm any review

Jarhead

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2004
new jersey
I purchased a cougar 8000 9 mm made by stoger 2 mags and a a lock 379 out the door.Any review on this pistol would be helpful.Reliability and is it worth keeping or will it be junk shortly.

Research, evaluate, purchase VS purchase, research, evaluate... That just goes to show that there are all sorts of ways to do things.

Your pistol is essentially a Beretta cougar, but is made by stoeger. It is made on the same machinery as the beretta, but is made in Turkey and is the Turkish military pistol. You basically ended up,with a beretta Cougar for half the price. Well done as it is a very nice pistol.

IIRC, Stoeger acquired the machinery from beretta, took the machinery to Turkey to make pistols for the Turkish military contract.

Last edited:
Unknown, I did some research and seen positive reviews.Shooting from a bench or sterile environment doesn't make a firearm reliable.I wanted to know if any hide members actually own and used it.I was very interested for the price and after purchasing read a few reviews that were on the positive side.It is a full size nine and was actually comparing the quality to the sig 226,obviously the finish is better on the sig and reliability is second to none.Although the trigger on the cougar felt better to me but when other guys in the gun shop started making fun of the stoger because it was made in turkey by 12 year olds and comments were its not reliable I doubted my purchase.They made a comment that the rotating barrel was less accurate than the browning design.I have thought as to which is better but drawing a blank on this.The rotating barrel cam looked like a heavy duty design and the rotation design was interesting to me.The barrel was chrome lined and it is a heavy pistol it seemed rugged and the sights could use upgrading for night sights.Again at 379 dollars and two mags I couldn't resist the purchase but I did regret maybe not buying the sig 226.

I have never understood why the Sig pistols have such a draw to them. They are good guns, but there are plenty of good guns available, and I admit my personal dislike for double/single action triggers.

I think,the pistol you bought is well worth what you paid for it. Some guns (like the SKS) are inexpensive, but they do exactly what they were designed to do, hence my belief that they are worthy of consideration.

One of the guys in my department bought a Taurus 40 pistol that looked like a beretta knockoff. At first I thought he had wasted his money. But after watching him use that pistol for many years and thousands or rounds without ever having a problem, I thought I will never again pre judge someone's choice.

All the info I have found online indicates that your pistol is a very good one. The haters are probably going to re-evaluate their preconceptions if they keep an open mind.

The rotating barrel cam is no more of a weird idea than the roller locking of the HK firearms. Until someone demonstrates why and how it is bad, I wouldn't worry about it at all.