• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stomach Virus....

desertrat1979

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Southern NV
Anyone else being hit by this?

Starts with vomiting, then diahrea, then vomiting AND diahrea, while sweating profusely.

Then chills, I mean feezing chills. I crawled under the sheets and couldnt get out.

Severe leg cramps from the dehydration, and EVERY muscle and joint screamed in pain. My wife said I was delerious and not making any sense when I talked.

Then came a fever of about 102. Broke it easy with some Tylenol.

The only thing that I was able to do was chew on ice chips and sip ginger ale and pedialyte.

Now I am just weak, and get to look forward to a 10hr graveyard shift.

Oh and it all began about 3pm yesterday.

Anyone else being hit with this where your at?

Re: Stomach Virus....

Haven't heard about anything like this here, in Denver, CO,...yet.

I work with hundreds of people a day, so when it hits, I'll find out about it.

I think you should see a doctor if you aren't better quickly, seriously.

I'll keep your bunghole in my thoughts, as I know you'd do the same for mine.

I know my best friend had it last week. He's the one who told my wife what to do to get me rehydrated. A couple other guys at work have been out sick with stomach issues too. Just made me curious if this is happening in other parts. Kind of odd to see it in the middle of the summer though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AREAONE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bad Chinese???</div></div>
x2 Try drinking some pedialite

Sorry to break your heart, but there are no stomach virus's. You will suffer what is known as 'flu like sysndrome' from many different tick and other bug bites(these usually come with a rash) Other bacteria that is pathogenic to humans will also cause a flu like syndrome, but not what you are describing.
What you describe is exactly what comes from a food borne infection, or the worse, their ass to your mouth bacteria trail commonly known as food poisoning. Pretty much all you can do is suck it up, STAY HYDRATED and drive on. Th emost important thing is to STAY HYDRATED. Electrolytes, watered down sports drinks and do your best to hold it down while the infection runs it's course. The common bacterium that you are experienceing may be:
Salmonella spp.
Staphelococus spp.
Bacillus spp.
Listeria
Enterobacter spp.(my bet goes here)
and of course a host of others, but those ar ethe most common with Staf, Salmonella, Bacillus and Entero being the most common

Flu A & B are starting to come around, much earlier than prior years - just got the order forms for this years vaccines and "on-the-spot tests" this week. Obviously, stay hydrated, if you are more than 48 hours into it meds like Tamiflu do nothing (plus there are increasing reports of resistance).

That said, episodes of food-borne illnesses (i.e. E. Coli and Salmonella) don't "make news" until enough people report symptoms to their doctors. When YOU are sick like this, chances are an elderly person or small child could die of the same thing - so please even if you don't get yourself "treated" at least call your doctor and let them know.

There are some enteroviruses and rotaviruses around too that can produce these symptoms - you can contact your State's Health Department & see if anything is "around".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to break your heart, but there are no stomach virus's. You will suffer what is known as 'flu like sysndrome' from many different tick and other bug bites(these usually come with a rash) Other bacteria that is pathogenic to humans will also cause a flu like syndrome, but not what you are describing.
What you describe is exactly what comes from a food borne infection, or the worse, their ass to your mouth bacteria trail commonly known as food poisoning. Pretty much all you can do is suck it up, STAY HYDRATED and drive on. Th emost important thing is to STAY HYDRATED. Electrolytes, watered down sports drinks and do your best to hold it down while the infection runs it's course. The common bacterium that you are experienceing may be:
Salmonella spp.
Staphelococus spp.
Bacillus spp.
Listeria
and of course a host of others, but those ar ethe most common with Staf, Salmonella, Bacillus and Entero being the most common </div></div>

Or he could have just taken a bad one up the ass. Just sayin'. Dr. Shank out.

My wife had it two weekends ago; I had it over the 4th. Maybe not quite as bad as your symptoms, but it sucked for 3 days.

A couple friends have been down with stomach problems, doctors have told them all salmonella. I keep a watchful eye for sick people, I have to small kids and can't risk bringing it home to them. I got really sick with a stomach virus during the winter and had to stay away from them for 3 days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to break your heart, but there are no stomach virus's. You will suffer what is known as 'flu like sysndrome' from many different tick and other bug bites(these usually come with a rash) Other bacteria that is pathogenic to humans will also cause a flu like syndrome, but not what you are describing.
Salmonella spp.
Staphelococus spp.
Bacillus spp.
Listeria
and of course a host of others, but those ar ethe most common with Staf, Salmonella, Bacillus and Entero being the most common </div></div>

Im going to politely disagree. It may not be a stomach virus but there has been something going around and its not food originating. I had it about 2 months ago and it made its way through about 10 of us that work together. It hit me about 24hrs after I caught it from a colleague who got sick one night. I got it just from being around her for about 2 hrs at an event, she did not eat anything. I Was puking for about 36 hrs with anything I ate and the first night was horrible stomach cramps. No diarrhea I then slowely started getting better. It hit another coworker 1 week after that and while he was home, he gave it to his preggers wife who ate nothing he ate. Same symtoms, same timeframe. It then made its was through our client hitting multiple people. 15+. Again, not food born and the same timeframe to run its course. (About 3 days total)

but chances are, the washing of ones hands is a factor. And THAT is what Switch was aluding to, nicely.

Right?

"My wife said I was delerious and not making any sense when I talked".

Yes, according to my wife, I have it!

Hope you get better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else being hit by this?

Starts with vomiting, then diahrea, then vomiting AND diahrea, while sweating profusely.

Then chills, I mean feezing chills. I crawled under the sheets and couldnt get out.

Severe leg cramps from the dehydration, and EVERY muscle and joint screamed in pain. My wife said I was delerious and not making any sense when I talked.

Then came a fever of about 102. Broke it easy with some Tylenol.

The only thing that I was able to do was chew on ice chips and sip ginger ale and pedialyte.

Now I am just weak, and get to look forward to a 10hr graveyard shift.

Oh and it all began about 3pm yesterday.

Anyone else being hit with this where your at? </div></div>

I am currently home sick from work due to waking up with the brown water ass faucet this morning.

Had something like that over the 4th of July - I was shitting through an eye of a needle at 100 yds, not good!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but chances are, the washing of ones hands is a factor. And THAT is what Switch was aluding to, nicely.

Right? </div></div>

Well, Im a bit of a germaphobe and wash my hands all the time. Im pretty confident to say this is an airborne bastard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but chances are, the washing of ones hands is a factor. And THAT is what Switch was aluding to, nicely.

Right? </div></div>

Well, Im a bit of a germaphobe and wash my hands all the time. Im pretty confident to say this is an airborne bastard. </div></div>

It hit a Penn State spots camp and put a 100 kids in the hospital for quarantine. They would not let them go home so it could be spread.

Salmonella spp.
Staphelococus spp.
Bacillus spp.
Listeria

Ah nope.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/gastroenteritis/article_em.htm

Pedialyte should be real good. I have learned to stay away from salad bars in restaurants. Hot food will rarely make you sick...its the germs on the freakin lettuce!
Gave me a chance to go prety much straight carnivore-which the stomach loves but my heart may not. Oh well....

Good luck dude. Wash the bathroom down with bleach, doorknobs, etc when it is all said and done. Force yourself to drink while at work. Thats the bad part this stuff kills the thirst reflex and you can get bad dehydrated FAST. If you got cramps its getting dangerous.

By the way, black diarrhea means you are bleeding bad from the intestines from the infection. This can kill you in 48hrs...nothing to screw with, its bacterial dysentery. Got it from one of our world's garden spots...and without cipro I'd be fertilizer.

I had it two weeks ago today. Hit about 10 pm, I thought it was food poisoning from some home made pickles I ate for dinner. Was puking every 15 minutes from 10 pm until about 6 am, complete with the shivering and sweating. I kept drinking water and tea throughout to try to replace the fluids I was losing. Once the puking ended at about 8 am, I fell asleep for the next 24 hours, waking up only to drink more water/tea/garorade/whatever else my wife brought me. By the end of the third day I was about 90% back to normal.

My sister in law said that a few people at her work had the same thing around the same time. Since my wife and I ate exactly the same food that day, and she didn't get sick, I'm leaning towards the idea of it being some sort of bug that was going around.

Whatever it was, it knocked me on my ass for that first 24 hours.

There are not too many airborne virus's...they are contact viruses. Rhino viruses, and a few other's that are 'common cold' stuff. Rhino usually mixes with maybe one or two other viruses to make the basic common cold which is why it usually kicks your ass.

Many of the pathogenis bacterium are moved by contact only, not airborne. Viruses cannot live on a dry contact area for long and many of them are not able to be cultured as well either.
You can bet your paycheck that around the holidays it is foodborne. Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, other holidays where food is left on a table for hours at room temperature so anything from that little five year old or sneezing gramma, or hottie that wiped her face or nose before touching that plate of tasties. All one needs do is look through the CDA website for the reports on each bacteria to see which one is the hottie in your state during peak times of the year...and many do center around times when food is out.
As to workplace movement of bacterium or virus, it is all contact. You touch something, drink from a fountain(Oh man strepto loves a good fountain), so many things will spread it...shoot, grab a handful of paper to blow your nose, and dude, you just got pwnd! by his ass to your face with whatever ass bacteria he had when he wiped(yeah, that is THE down and dirty end of aw shit, grossed myself out for a second there, that was bad!)

I am willing to discount the airborne virus as well. I either picked it up at work, or when my friend came over last weekend. He was sick last week, but no one else in his house got it. Sometimes you just cant avoid it no matter how much of a hypochondriac you try to be. I work in a prison, my friend is a PO, his wife is a teacher, and we both got kids. I dont think you cant get anymore exposure unless your a hospital floor.

I have had food poisoning before. This was not it. Living off of crackers and chicken soup yesterday, pedialyte, water, gatorade and ginger ale. Bt the end of my shift this morning I was dying for some real food. When I got home I cautiously ate 2 small slices of pizza. Went down fine and felt great. Slept like a log, feeling 99%. I did pull a muscle in my back though. Sitting on a toilet and pucking in a bucket at the same time is not a very natural position. I dont know what was worse. The vomiting and shitting or the pain and dehydration. Dont remember too much of either. Hope no one else gets it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Norovirus </div></div>

Seasonally? Most likely enterovirus, which includes several species of RHINOvirus.
Enterovirus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterovirus

I'm seeing this in clinic daily. Mostly crampy stomach upset, some vomiting, usually sore throat, low grade "fever" (99.9 isn't, despite what about 85% of the moms who bring their kids in say, a "fever." And two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth is the literal definition of "recession," I don't care if you ARE a mainstream media outlet pushing your candidate), achey all over, headachy.

Rhinovirus isn't limited to your nose, but it is a causative agent of "the common cold." Thing is, they're freaking common, and no, your symptoms that started yesterday aren't a sinus infection, it's a virus, go home, take medicine, push fluids and get some rest. Come back in a week to ten days if it's worse.

I had this one kid, from Canberra, Australia, a camp counselor, who came in to my camp clinic with a 106.5 fever last week. She felt awful, nauseated, stomach cramps, mildly sore scratchy throat if she thought about it. Overall appearance, all signs and symptoms said "virus." I sent her home with some zofran (for nausea, vomiting if she had some, mostly so she could push fluids - means to pee clear, maybe a cup an hour even if you barf you still retain SOME fluid and don't get dehydrated), told her to take TWO tylenol tablets ever 3 hours and TWO ibuprofen tablets ever 3 hours ALTERNATING and go to the ER if her fever spiked again.

She did, two days later. Spent 6 hours there getting rainbow labs done, blood cultures, lyme test, flu test, urinalysis, chest X-ray, Abdominal CT scan (she had good traveler's insurance). I stopped by to see how she was doing, see if I could learn anything, see if I'd missed anything. Doc came in with test results. Nothing. Said it was probably a virus. We talked or a few minutes, exchanged bona fides and business cards, I told the girl to expect a funny rash in a day or two. She was back to work at camp two days later and yes, she had a weird rash that lasted a day. I didn't see it, but it cleared up. Total time sick? Sunday through Friday. Probably one of the enteroviruses. That's the thing about enteroviruses, is their persistence, duration of illness I mean, same with coxsackie (hand-foot-mouth) which I considered. If she'd never gotten exposed to it as a kid, her immune system would take extreme measures to wipe it out as an adult. I see adults with coxsackie from time to time. Adults also get RSV, another virus associated with kids. You don't get immune to it, ever. Kids get it twice in a season sometimes.

And norovirus? The cruise ship virus? Same thing. Hundreds of known strains, no immunity, spreads like wildfire, persists in the environment for weeks (it's only a package of dried protein and RNA anyway, it's not "alive"), it's why the ships go back into the docks for weeks while teams of people wipe down every surface in the ship with sanitizers and the NEXT ship full of passengers gets sick too.

Do hope you're feeling better.

Something blew through our family like Sherman's March a couple of months back. It had gotten loose in the local school and our entire village came down with it within a week or so. I kept hearing vague mention of Norovirus, but the local Doctors were cagey about giving it a name.

Greg

Just found out 2 more guys I work with got it in the last week, on of them same time as me on his days off. So its a goin 'round. At least here it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pedialyte should be real good. I have learned to stay away from salad bars in restaurants. Hot food will rarely make you sick...its the germs on the freakin lettuce!
Gave me a chance to go prety much straight carnivore-which the stomach loves but my heart may not. Oh well....

Good luck dude. Wash the bathroom down with bleach, doorknobs, etc when it is all said and done. Force yourself to drink while at work. Thats the bad part this stuff kills the thirst reflex and you can get bad dehydrated FAST. If you got cramps its getting dangerous.

By the way, black diarrhea means you are bleeding bad from the intestines from the infection. This can kill you in 48hrs...nothing to screw with, its bacterial dysentery. Got it from one of our world's garden spots...and without cipro I'd be fertilizer. </div></div>

Don't forget to throw away your tooth brush and any others that are in the bathroom as that is a sure fire way to pass it along to someone else. Don't handle your kids food for 3 days AFTER the symptoms clear. Keep your hands to yourself!

Ass to hand to mouth is how this stuff spreads so fast. One careless food handler/infected person can make a ton of people sick. If you are ill with this, wash your hands and (not just) use alcohol foam/sanitizer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

By the way, black diarrhea means you are bleeding bad from the intestines from the infection. This can kill you in 48hrs...nothing to screw with, its bacterial dysentery. Got it from one of our world's garden spots...and without cipro I'd be fertilizer. </div></div>

Technically, black diarrhea usually indicates bleeding higher up in the GI track - stomach or small intestine; whereas bleeding in the lower intestine will actually look more like blood. Blood itself is acts as a laxative - and bleeding anywhere in the GI tract is never a good thing. GI bleeding in the context of symptoms of infection- E. Coli, Salmonella, Shigella, Yersinia - all real players.

I had it about 2 weeks ago. It only lasted for about 8 hours and then I was ok but those exact symptoms is what I had as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Technically, black diarrhea usually indicates bleeding higher up in the GI track - stomach or small intestine; whereas bleeding in the lower intestine will actually look more like blood. Blood itself is acts as a laxative - and bleeding anywhere in the GI tract is never a good thing. GI bleeding in the context of symptoms of infection- E. Coli, Salmonella, Shigella, Yersinia - all real players. </div></div>

In addition, dark green/black diarhea is also indicative of your internal good bacteria being totally killed off and symptomatic of a common issue that comes from strong antibotics(can't find the syndrome ename, and am not going to go dig through the books to look). It too passes in about a week or ten days as your body gets 'better'

Switch - Its clostridium difficule, or "C. diff." . White cell count goes up and once you smell it in a room you never have to see it to diagnose it. Often from the antibiotic clindamycin, others do it too. Doesn't always "go away", people die from it or lose chunks of intestine...