• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stone Glacier Gear

cjs88

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    Anyone familiar with this brand? I got an email, guessing I was opted in from one of the gun giveaways I enter in sometimes. Looking at their stuff, it looks really nice I just know nothing about the brand.

Solid gear. You will see a lot of the hunting crowd using it.

Packs are in the same league as Kifaru but lighter weight and obviously less rugged but just as well designed.

Their clothing would be competitive against someone like Sitka or Kuiu

Yep. Post #2 pretty much sums it up.

Stone glacier is good. To elaborate, they are know by specific hunting crowd, western hunters who do multi day pack ins.

They are one of the few companies that have have a light weight, but durable +6000 ci bag, with a decent suspension. Not sure on the clothes.

Reactions: RS14
    Seems like I just read something recently where Vista Outdoors bought Stone Glacier.... hopefully previous quality standard remains.

Have a few buds that run their packs and they really like them.

Actually post 2 is wrong a little bit. Packs from both brands are comparable but the frames are not. The sg frame is much much stronger and you will rarely see one of there frames with a problem. They have two styles, one with a curve to match the curve of your back and there traditional straight. You would think the curved one would be better but for me it’s not the straight is more comfortable. Be a benefit for you to try both with some weight to see what frame fits you better. The kifaru on the other hand uses a carbon fiber frame and it it has some design flaws. With a heavy pack out of meat it flexes and it will crack, this is a fact we’ve seen it with our own eyes multiple times. You are much better off as far as packs go with the sg everything about it is better imo. Not saying the kifaru is junk it’s definitely not but there are some week points with there frames for sure. As far as clothing goes don’t buy either, kifaru is overpriced and the sg is ok. Buy firstlite if your looking for hunting clothes or just good backcountry clothing. There base layers are great and so are there socks. Also sg was just bought out by vista outdoors which is a big umbrella company so hopefully they don’t look for more profit and cut cost down the road. Wouldn’t be the case yet though cause I believe it just happened.

Reactions: Billdoe708
    Actually post 2 is wrong a little bit. Packs from both brands are comparable but the frames are not. The sg frame is much much stronger and you will rarely see one of there frames with a problem. They have two styles, one with a curve to match the curve of your back and there traditional straight. You would think the curved one would be better but for me it’s not the straight is more comfortable. Be a benefit for you to try both with some weight to see what frame fits you better. The kifaru on the other hand uses a carbon fiber frame and it it has some design flaws. With a heavy pack out of meat it flexes and it will crack, this is a fact we’ve seen it with our own eyes multiple times. You are much better off as far as packs go with the sg everything about it is better imo. Not saying the kifaru is junk it’s definitely not but there are some week points with there frames for sure. As far as clothing goes don’t buy either, kifaru is overpriced and the sg is ok. Buy firstlite if your looking for hunting clothes or just good backcountry clothing. There base layers are great and so are there socks. Also sg was just bought out by vista outdoors which is a big umbrella company so hopefully they don’t look for more profit and cut cost down the road. Wouldn’t be the case yet though cause I believe it just happened.
    You sir, are talking out of your fucking neck. Kifaru doesn't make a carbon fiber frame. SG and Kifaru are top quality American made packs, KUIU uses a carbon fiber frame that is known to flex, break under heavy loads and is made in Asian sweat shops.

Is the stone glacier stuff all US made?

Screw first lite. Steve Rinella said in an email to a specific question that they “just cant make their clothes in the US.”

Try Forloh.
    Needed some new gear and got a set of their soft shell pants and jacket.
    Impressed so far with about 40 days out in them.
    For wool layers try Voormi or DuckWorth.
    Kifaru only makes an insulating jacket and pants, no other clothes.

And yes to Kifaru. Good stuff. Solid folks.
    Just down the road, so I have met them in person, had the tour, been fitted and set up.
    Carried a lot of meat in mine this year.
    No cracking…. 🤣

Reactions: WeiserBucks
    Stone Glacier makes solid gear. I recently used their Grumman down jacket and pants in AK. Very warm and light weight. I have friends that have some of their other clothes and they hold up very well. I’m nervous about the buyout by Vista. Right now anything you buy will be their typical quality. A few years from now? Who knows

Good guys. They did end up selling to some big outdoor consortium. Packs are USA made, I think their clothes are made in vietnam or something. I did buy a pair of gaiters from them and they are next level. Wore them a bunch this year and they don't slip down or come undone like others.

I've had a Stone Glacier Avail 2200 pack for 5+ years and it has been a pretty solid day pack with some use in Afghanistan. I still use it for day and photography hikes. I also have one of their soft shells which I use extensively.

Kifaru is still my go-to for packs. My MMR got banged around Afghanistan for 10 years and was ready for another 10 years when I sold it (only due to next gen frame systems). The MMR got replaced by a Reckoning and my Minikeg is getting replaced by a 357 Mag.

I would not hesitate to get another SG if it suited my needs but the Kifaru bags are always my first choice.

As stated above, not sure what is going to happen since they got sold. It never gets better when high-quality, specialized companies get bought out by megacorps. Profits replace quality.

Packs and accessories in the US, clothing in Vietnam. Everything they make is top notch except the bino harness. It’s the worst one I have ever used, I gave it away to a cheap ass buddy who had a free Leupold one that came with his $100 binos and he gave it back. Totally wouldn’t hesitate to use anything else they make though.

LOL@ Kifaru frames cracking. That dude clearly has never laid eyes on a Kifaru frame. They’re down the road from me and we shoot archery at the same place. Great folks, killer bags. I haul all kinds of shit in mine, never an issue.

Last edited:
    Good to know. Was eyeing the Zenith fleece yesterday but had never heard of their stuff.

Good stuff. I've got a pair of the De Havilland lite pants. The only down side was, at the time they didn't make stuff for
    short people :ROFLMAO:. They have since adjusted the inseam length on pants.
    Also, they were recently purchased by Vista Outdoors.

Anyone familiar with this brand? I got an email, guessing I was opted in from one of the gun giveaways I enter in sometimes. Looking at their stuff, it looks really nice I just know nothing about the brand.
    Verified, tested, trusted!

You sir, are talking out of your fucking neck. Kifaru doesn't make a carbon fiber frame. SG and Kifaru are top quality American made packs, KUIU uses a carbon fiber frame that is known to flex, break under heavy loads and is made in Asian sweat shops.
    My apologies to all, you are right. I just had a brain fart but I was 100% reffering to kuiu. Not kifaru. Names are so similar my brain confused the two. You are right I just had the name wrong. But yes those kuiu frames do break. Hopefully you’ll understand my mistake after coming in so hot and having to throw the f bomb over it.

Yeah that Kuiu frame is made out of melted Pringles lids or something. If it doesn't break it will squeak like a 50-year old ball joint thats been soaking in the bottom of the ocean. I'd heard they updated them but I don't really have any reason to use not-Kifaru at this point.

Last edited:
    My apologies to all, you are right. I just had a brain fart but I was 100% reffering to kuiu. Not kifaru. Names are so similar my brain confused the two. You are right I just had the name wrong. But yes those kuiu frames do break. Hopefully you’ll understand my mistake after coming in so hot and having to throw the f bomb over it.
    No problem man, mistakes happen but fucking F-bombs will continue.

- the Carbon Frame is US-made by Rocket Composites.

Some items Asia for sure, but actually all over like Kawada Feather and Toray from Japan. Just as Cuben Fiber now Dyneema® was first only available in limited supplies, many of the very best US ultralight tent and pack manufacturers needed to go offshore to secure the material that is now made in AZ and NC, but many of the very best materials are still only available offshore.

While some of these materials are super strong, once in the ultralight form, they might not be the best for people less worried about every gram, but instead robustness. So compromises start in the beginning based on the intended feature set and target customer. Are they targeting a gram-conscious thru-hiker, a sheep hunter looking for ultralight gear, is the audience an Alaskan guide, or someone who primarily is just a day away from their truck.

SG and Kuiu in general are for those looking for the lightest possible options in load-shelf packs. While I've used both, personally a heavy load fits "me" better (on my hips) with the less sexy Kuiu and has comfortably pulled quite a few elk parts out. That said, what feels good on one person or how they adjust the stays and hip load, might not feel good to another. In my version of the SG, the hip belt didn't transfer as much weight as comfortable. But again, that's just me. The SG is a great pack, just talking about how my body worked with the two side by side.

Kifaru put its' emphasis on longevity, usually using more robust material. But this comes at a weight penalty-

Somewhere in the middle of ultra-light and robustness, is XO MDT Gear.

My point is not everyone is looking for gram cutting and not everyone needs a heavy pack that can be drug through scrub oak 300 days a year, year on end. Someone looking for a 50L pack that can withstand being drug over and over across sharp rocks might be OK with an 8.5LBs pack, the other guy on a thorough hike might choose a 50L 20oz Arc Air

Last edited:
    Somewhere in the middle of ultra-light and robustness, is XO MDT Gear.
    I've got to assume you mean EXO Mountain Gear? Another fail at an attempt to get involved in the conversation. I also own an EXO K3, they're made about an hour from me and a good friend works at the facility. Nice try on the XO MDT.

I've got to assume you mean EXO Mountain Gear? Another fail at an attempt to get involved in the conversation. I also own an EXO K3, they're made about an hour from me and a good friend works at the facility. Nice try on the XO MDT.
    I was not recommending XO. Get over yourself- but rather saying their weight target is in the middle

It’s not bad. I have tried others and keep coming back to kifaru. In my Experience the lighter packs like SG, kuiu etc are really comfortable for hunting in and hauling “camp”. When it comes down to strapping in meat and hide though none haul the weight like a Kifaru. Kifaru isn’t as comfy unless it’s loaded down though.

To your question yes stone glacier makes nice gear

I have and use their Approach pack with a couple of outside pockets attached. The pack bag can decouple from the frame and I can squeeze about 100 lbs of meat in a cuben fiber bag I have from another manufacturer and then use the straps to get it all tight.
    It works great.
    It would work even better if someone else were packing that 100 lbs of meat and 20 lbs of gear.

• Love
    Reactions: Diver160651
    Long time SG user. Have been using SG for bow hunting for at least the last 7 years if not more. All of my bags held up well.

One of the bags was even subjected to hauling 60lbs of crayfish up the side of a cliff when all else failed.

Stone glacier stuff is legit. I have been running their x curve frame with a few sizes of bags depending on what the use is for about 5 years and love it. All what fits your body best. I also have the dehavilland and dehavilland lite pants. They have been bomb proof for me. Great stuff!

For hauling gear you can’t beat:

Kifaru
    Stone Glacier
    Seek Outside
    Exo

All excel in certain applications. Pick the one that fits your specific requirements.

First Lite is garbage clothing. You couldn't pay me to wear it, hunttubers promote the shit out of it because its free or heavily discounted to them. Don't fall for the marketing.

Stone Glacier is amazing stuff, like it much more than my Sitka stuff.
    I've put the new SG gaiters through the ringer this past season and they're great if anyone is looking for bomb proof gaiters.

Reactions: msstate56
    First Lite is garbage clothing. You couldn't pay me to wear it, hunttubers promote the shit out of it because its free or heavily discounted to them. Don't fall for the marketing.

I've put the new SG gaiters through the ringer this past season and they're great if anyone is looking for bomb proof gaiters.
    FL is absolutely not garbage. It has some things going for it nothing else on the market does, and it has weaknesses like every other brand.

Their base layers are among the best money can buy, even if its made in China.

Never used their base layers, the outer wear i've had is cheap and ripped and tore way too easily. Not at all what I consider high quality for backcountry hunting.

Reactions: msstate56
    Never used their base layers, the outer wear i've had is cheap and ripped and tore way too easily. Not at all what I consider high quality for backcountry hunting.
    Here is the basic issue- some people need ultra robust outer layer, other something ultra light and breathable, some rain resistant and some quite as possible- Just like packs, buy the wrong one optimized for a use that is not your’s and you’ll think it is junk. It isn’t always in the product, but the product choice.

Im with wyofox on this.
    Other than their new soft shell pants, I havent seen much First Lite gear hold up well.
    I love my KUIU pants for fit and function.
    4 yrs of hard use and a couple small knicks.
    also love their light weight 3/4 length long Johns with side zips. Great in the AM, pop em off easy when it warms up!!

My buddy has had several first lite pieces fail at seams.
    He went Forloh this year and is happy as can be.
    Look at Voormi for good wool layers.
    Not paid by them, just impressed with build and quality and its US made.

Reactions: Diver160651
    I’m partial to UA hunting line. Bonus, surprisingly none of the UA gear I own is made in China. However I’m not big on Under amour footwear. Never had good luck with it in the past. Since most of my hunts are backpack hunts, I mostly just use my altra lone peaks. If not, I got some of my old Salomon’s XA’s.

For hunting I gots the mystery ranch Marshall, metcalf and pintler. The MR hauls deer and elk as good as can be expected. The Marshall has packed well for 5 days on the trail no problem for me.

Yes!

The Back Country Hunters and Anglers people who are hell bent on making tresspass laws for private lands connected to public.

Every stitched seam on the stuff I have had from them has come loose.

Their long handles look like swiss cheese after two trips through the laundry.

They suck!

Yes!

The Back Country Hunters and Anglers people who are hell bent on making tresspass laws for private lands connected to public.

Every stitched seam on the stuff I have had from them has come loose.

Their long handles look like swiss cheese after two trips through the laundry.

They suck!
    There’s more than a enough public land out west. I don’t know, which “back country” hunters you’re talking about, but it ain’t me fool.

That said, people who’s land takes up a entire unit/zone/gmu, I mean, yeah….people are going to want to hunt that land and not spend a ridiculous amount of money for written permission.

There’s more than a enough public land out west. I don’t know, which “back country” hunters you’re talking about, but it ain’t me fool.

That said, people who’s land takes up a entire unit/zone/gmu, I mean, yeah….people are going to want to hunt that land and not spend a ridiculous amount of money for written permission.
    He's referring to this group of liberal manbun woke wannabes

Everything I’ve had from SG is quality. Never had to use their CS, but I’ve never heard a bad thing about it.

As far as all the other nonsense in this thread, first lite makes some of the best baselayers out there. Between 4 tops and 3 bottoms, I’ve never had a durability issue. Their outerwear doesn’t fit my needs so I’ve never tried any.

Corner crossing isn’t a “trespass law.” It’s about access to public land that you can get to without ever touching private land. BHA aren’t the only group in support of corner crossing. In places where checkerboarded land is prevalent, massive chunks of BLM are inaccessible without corner crossing.

@WeiserBucks @M4guru there are threads on hunting forums detailing carbon tubes (arrows) breaking on kifaru frames. Bender has directly addressed it in at least on instance on RS and explained why they don’t use carbon anymore. I get that the guy meant Kuiu, but still. It’s a real thing that Kifaru has addressed/fixed.

Reactions: Simonsza1
    @WeiserBucks @M4guru there are threads on hunting forums detailing carbon tubes (arrows) breaking on kifaru frames. Bender has directly addressed it in at least on instance on RS and explained why they don’t use carbon anymore. I get that the guy meant Kuiu, but still. It’s a real thing that Kifaru has addressed/fixed.
    You are correct that Kifaru tried a CF brace in their frame several years ago and it broke consistently. They quit using it almost immediately once it was found to be defective. Kifaru handled the defective brace via warranty and owners were satisfied.

KUIU uses a complete CF sheet as their frame, they break regularly and KUIU CS says the customer wasn't using it as intended. So much for a lifetime warranty. I use a lot of KUIU stuff, but won't touch their frame packs.

Screw Rinella and First Lite.
    China made junk. Owned by commies.
    99220B6E-52E1-424B-A64B-0B2C0904C948.png

Reactions: Wyfox
    You are correct that Kifaru tried a CF brace in their frame several years ago and it broke consistently. They quit using it almost immediately once it was found to be defective. Kifaru handled the defective brace via warranty and owners were satisfied.

KUIU uses a complete CF sheet as their frame, they break regularly and KUIU CS says the customer wasn't using it as intended. So much for a lifetime warranty. I use a lot of KUIU stuff, but won't touch their frame packs.
    Can you show me how or where all these KUIU frames are breaking? I’ve got one that’s seen 60-80# a couple days a week for 4 years. No problems with it.