• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stoney Point Target Knob for my 17?

SigTauJohn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
KC, MO
Thinking about throwing a Stoney Point Target Knob on the elevation adjustment of the Bushnell on my Savage 93r17. I would zero at 50yd and find where POI is for out to 200yd (i dont think I would shoot farther than that with it). This is mostly for hunting and some training for the .308. When hunting im usually aiming for a squirrel head from 30yd out to 100yd usually and the POI change can be a few inches so thought this might be a good idea. Anyone else tried them or have a better solution? Thanks.

Re: Stoney Point Target Knob for my 17?

What he said. I did exactly what DFOOSKING is talking about with my 22. Helped me dramatically when shooting prairie dogs at multiple distances.

I guess I should have been more clear...

This is what I was going to do but use their target knobs to do it. Its not a BDC turret. It just turns the dust cover into a turret. After doing what you said i would mark the POI at different distance to know where to adjust to.

I just didnt know if the turrets were any good.

I have used the stoney point covers in the past and was not satisfied enough with them to consider using them on a big game or precision rifle. I found that sometimes the knob attachment will slip slightly on its attachment point with the actual scope and cause return to zero problems.

That all said I have one on my .22 and find it an inexpensive way to upgrade and usefull for the $25 spent.

i also have tried the stoney points on rimfires and .223's and have had no problems. but no experience with them on centerfires. they are actually are not that bad of an addition to non turreted scopes.

the SH google search has a whole bunch of input on them.

the turrets are about 50.00 a set or 25.00 for one, depending on what type of bushnell you have (like a lower level one), you may actually be better off just getting a scope that comes with turrets built in.

installation of the stoney points are easy, takes a few minutes. they more or less are a screwdriver type blade that fits into the coin slot of the adjustment knob. theres a shaft that the blade is attached to, then that shaft gets connected to the dial with the numbers on it. a couple of set screws locks in the shaft to that body.

if your scope is now zeroed, just screw on the base of the stoney point in replacement of your dust cover aligning that blade. once it makes good contact, put on the upper part of the knob, set the number to "0" with the line on the base and tighten the set screws. from there you can adjust your elevation, and note your dope.

i friend of mine uses one on his 25-06, with no issues.

Thanks.

And is there another way to search this site? I always try before I post but the search on this site is completely useless...