• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stoopid Rookie .308 Ammo Question

ShootieMagee

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2010
Robinson, Texas
Guys I am not sure if this question belongs in this forum so forgive me.
I just finished setting up my new Kimber 8400 .308. I don't know much
about long range shooting yet but I am going to a school in march to learn.
I searched this site but I couldn't find a specific answer to my question.
I have not fired my rifle yet. I don't reload yet but I will someday. Meanwhile what is the best ammo I can use with my purpose being supreme accuracy. Not terribly concerned about impact energy at the moment. Is Black Hills about as good as it gets?
If so where should I start ie bullet grain/shape/etc?

Re: Stoopid Rookie .308 Ammo Question

Your bound to get a few differnt answers on this one but I'll throw in my two cents....

Black Hills is great ammo, also look at Federal Gold Medal Match and Corbon to start.

Every rifle is a little different when it comes to what it shoots best, you'll have to find that out for yourself.

As for grain and shape Id stick with a 168gr or 175 gr BTHP. Its a fail safe in the 308 world. Im partial to the 175gr but I dont do much short range.

Im sure the you get some other answers on this in a bit.

FedGMM will probably be the easiest to find and its hard to beat for a factory ammo, pretty much the standard by which others are judged. Have a friend that refuses to reload because he says its not worth it, you just cant gain that much over FGMM. Be safe and good shooting, hope your pockets are deep.
smile.gif

okie

I had the same question you had with my .308, before I reloaded. I am using a 1/10 tw, 24" bbl. I tried Black Hills 168, Federal Gold Match 168. Both shot about 3/8"-1/2" @ 100 yds. Exactly same POI. Both brands are readily available. You may find that you need to shoot a few to break in the barrel & good accuracy can't be judged immediately. Not an expert-my. 02. Enjoy your Kimber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have a friend that refuses to reload because he says its not worth it, you just cant gain that much over FGMM..... hope your pockets are deep. </div></div>

Agree FGMM is a good standard. But accuracy is only part of why I reload. Cost is a large factor. It's not so much that you'll save money by reloading, it's that you can shoot more for the same dollar amount. Save your brass from Day One, (keep a logbook too). When you decide whether or not reloading is worth it to you, you'll either have a bunch of brass to reload or a bunch of 1X fired brass to sell.
If you are going to shoot 600 yards or under, 168gr bullets will do fine. For longer ranges, most are using heavier bullets like 175 or 190 grains.
As pointed out above, your rifle will tell you which load it likes. Work on your position/NPOA
and being able to call your shots.

1911fan

I've found Hornady Match to be accurate, a little cheaper than some of the others, and easier to find (at least around here).

+1 for Hornady match. It's also good brass I've got some on there 5th reload and there still in good shape note I'm not max'ing anything out with my load. Also Hornady is releasing a 175gr match load some times or other. If shooting the 168gr stuff you my run into the transition zone if tring to get out to past 850yards or so. At least it showed its ugly head when firing them from my Rem. LTR 20" tube 1/10 twist. IF you are tring to get out to 1k then you may want to look at the 155gr loadings.

As a side note I found that the 168gr FGMM and the Hornady 168gr match shot the same from 100y out to 800y with the LTR.

Also when buying ammo that you plan on using the brass later try and get at least 100 rounds with the same lot#. Keep these together and trty not to mix lot#'s. What I did was I told a local shop owner my plans and had him order a case of the 168gr match Hornady ammo just for me and I would buy (3) boxes a week until I bought the whole case. I ended up with 500 once fired brass of the same lot#.

Ken

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have a friend that refuses to reload because he says its not worth it, you just cant gain that much over FGMM..... hope your pockets are deep. </div></div>

Agree FGMM is a good standard. But accuracy is only part of why I reload. Cost is a large factor. It's not so much that you'll save money by reloading, it's that you can shoot more for the same dollar amount. Save your brass from Day One, (keep a logbook too). When you decide whether or not reloading is worth it to you, you'll either have a bunch of brass to reload or a bunch of 1X fired brass to sell.
If you are going to shoot 600 yards or under, 168gr bullets will do fine. For longer ranges, most are using heavier bullets like 175 or 190 grains.
As pointed out above, your rifle will tell you which load it likes. Work on your position/NPOA
and being able to call your shots.

1911fan </div></div>

I agree 1911, the friend was just speaking in terms of accuracy though. Cost is a concideration for me also but to be honest, I'd reload even if it didn't save me $ because I just enjoy doing it. Its very rewarding for me to work a load up specifically for each rifle and see the results. That same friend gives me all his once fired FGMM brass, I have 4 firings on some of it with NO problems. Its all I use in my .308's, not light loads either at 45 gr of Varget pushing 178's. From my experience and I've been useing the FGMM brass for several years now, all this about it being inferior is BS.

okie

Awesome information y'all. Thanks soo much. I can't wait to get this gun to the range. I am a cop and a dang good shot with a pistol. My only experience with HPower rifles is my .270 pre 64 model 70. I've never missed a deer with it but my longest shot to date is 370ish yards. Looking to broaden my horizons with this tack driver. It's good for my police resume, and who knows if I get good at it I might wind up in a police marksman role within the department. Thank you all for taking the time to chime in your expert advice.

As stated Black Hills or Federal are both very accurate! But also kinda pricey.
Privet Partizan Match (excuse the spelling) in 168 is 1/2 to 3/4 moa out to 200yds its also less than $20 a box. Till you can keep up with under 3/4 moa short range groups spending more on ammo is a waste.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As stated Black Hills or Federal are both very accurate! But also kinda pricey.
Privet Partizan Match (excuse the spelling) in 168 is 1/2 to 3/4 moa out to 200yds its also less than $20 a box. Till you can keep up with under 3/4 moa short range groups spending more on ammo is a waste. </div></div>

I tried the Patizan Match and had the opposite results. I ended up shooting better with American Eagle made for the M1A than I had with the Match Partizan but it all depends on your barrel.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

shootiemaggie this works well i just put up a post asking about the Kimber advanced tacticals not to thread jack but if u dont mind check out the post in the rifles section and throw in your two cents, do you think when you do start shooting you could post up some results too along with a small fries and your first born child thanks.

Hornady match 168's are cheap compared to most and are very accurate for me.

Eric I'll post some results when I get em. Should be soon. My rings and bipod should be coming very soon. Seekins/Atlas. Keep in mind that I know pretty much nothing technical about this sport other than to say I'm an old ranch boy and a pretty dang good shot with everything I've ever handled. I grew up with some kind of firearm in my hand. Not bragging. I have alot to learn starting with the whole MOA/milradian theory and the use of the mil dot scope. So any information I post is going to be very rookieish. Take it with a grain of salt.

Also FYI my rifle isn't the advanced tactical. It's that middle model just referred to as the 8400 tactical. My gunsmith has my trigger breaking like glass at 1.6 lbs. No take up, no over travel. He also milled a brake into the existing barrel(his own design). My gunsmith is Dee Whitehead. Waco Texas. He's awesome IMHO. He was however pissed off at me that I didn't let him just build me a 700 based rifle.

Who is a favorite on-line source for the above? I see ammoman has some stuff, who else?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As stated Black Hills or Federal are both very accurate! But also kinda pricey.
Privet Partizan Match (excuse the spelling) in 168 is 1/2 to 3/4 moa out to 200yds its also less than $20 a box. Till you can keep up with under 3/4 moa short range groups spending more on ammo is a waste.</div></div>

Same as below this quote. I found myself chasing the x with this stuff. It was all over the place and I started to question myself instead of the ammo because of what I had heard. Not very good IMHO. If you need cheap stuff, it will hold about 1 MOA, but be warned if you start having a few flyers, it may be the ammo not you.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opeagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Who is a favorite on-line source for the above? I see ammoman has some stuff, who else? </div></div>I get my Black Hills from Triad Tactical, there prices are great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongShot94</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opeagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Who is a favorite on-line source for the above? I see ammoman has some stuff, who else? </div></div>I get my Black Hills from Triad Tactical, there prices are great!</div></div>

+1 on Triad - they have great deals. If you shop around you can find good deals. Midway, Mid-South, Natchez, Powder Valley, Triad, Cabelas (has sales sometimes), Ammo Man, Sportsman Supply, and there are more. If you look hard enough you can find deals. Also, look hard at Privi Patizan (16.99 box), Privi - 168 good training ammo.

You list in your profile that you are LE.
Try Kiesler:
http://www.kiesler.com/
They sometimes have good deals on 168SMK .308 match, most of the time it's Remington, but at $148 a case of 200 for their officer price it ain't a bad deal.
Note that they will invoice your department.

I just got in more Black Hills yesterday, Ill update the site as soon as the invoice arrives.

Thanks for the source replies.

Funny somehow I forgot Kieslers.