• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

storage instruction for the m24 and htr200

slava khokhlov

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2022
Israel
Hi,

Its my first post :)

I am looking for instructions regarding proper storage of the M24 or the HTR2000. (long storage).
Specially some sort of instruction that says to store the weapon with the day optics attached.

Until now I found only lubrication instructions... need some orders regarding the optics.

Does any one have some thing official from the manufacture or military?

BR,

Thank you all.

Slava.

As stated, just keep it clean and oiled. Do not over lubricate, it will just attract dust and get sludgy. I use CLP, the traditional military Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative in moderation.

If Im storing a rifle for a long time I will put it in the deep freeze
1665000293559.png

These are hard use tools not delicate collectibles. Keep them lubricated and away from moisture and you're good to go.
Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

I am looking for military type procedure of proper storage.
meanwhile found only the user manual of the m24..

I am trying to put some sense in our logistics. :(

BR,

Thank you in advance.
Slava.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

BR,

Thank you in advance.
Slava.
If you're talking long term storage, they'll get greased and something put into the storage location to draw away moisture. If just short term storage until next use, my first post remains the proper way to store.

I have a "long term storage" area and protocol.
1) Heat some grease to be more liquid and apply to all metal parts with a paint brush. Pour a little down the bore.
2) Place the firearm (you may have to disassemble) in a vacuum seal bag, throw in an oxygen absorber and vacuum seal it while everything is still warm.
3) Place this bag in a plastic drum. Be sure you have included the items needed to clean that grease, ammunition (I used the spam can stuff and greased the can) and maintenance stuff. Place more oxygen absorbers in the drum and purge the interior with argon (nitrogen works, as does any inert gas, I had argon) before you tighten the bungs.
4) Dig a hole deep enough to place the drum but not so deep that you could not dig it up with your claws if that became necessary. Place the drum in the hole and fill it. Mine is near other metal stuff buried so some schmuck with a metal detector will just think it's more of the old gas line.
5) Don't tell anyone about that drum and don't go checking on it and shit. It's there and the contents will be viable even if it is a great-great grandson that claws it up.

I smell a possible troll. First post, Russian surename, Slava, "our logistics", claims to be from Israel, asking about military procedure....

Reactions: 308pirate
Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

BR,

Thank you in advance.
Slava.

Ok troll. Nobody could be so stupid that they can't figure out on their own how to store a piece of steel so it doesn't rust.

Reactions: akmike47
Hi.

You made me laugh today...:)
Sorry to disappoint you, I am not Russian spy... I believe they do know how to store their weapons.

Sorry for not introducing myself previously.

My name is Slava, I am from Israel, I was born in Ukraine, but lived my hole life here in Israel since I was 5, My family immigrated during the 1990s. So I probably more Israeli, and not Ukrainian and definitely not Russian.

I serve in a reserve unit, as most Israelis do. And I have some disagreement with the logistics team, regarding the proper way of storing our weapons.
From the one hand it need to be stored for long time, from the other it need to be ready to use.

I was looking on line for some US orders or user manuals on this topics, ( because who will argue with you :) )..

Unfortunately all I found is the operator manual of the M24, it`s a good start, but I need some document or recommendation to store the weapons with the day scope on, so it will be always zeroed. it takes a lot of time to zero the guns each time... and this is what I am trying to change.

Yep, I understand, Its funny place to look for information... but it's the way thing are been done here, unfortunately ...
It is what we pay for not having professional army...

Thank you, for your time.
Have a good day.

Slava.

The lack of “formal propper long term storage instructions” is more informative that any advice you will get on the internet.

I live on the gulf coast (Gulf of Mexico) and my long term storage procedure is to swab the bore clean, wipe down the gun, put the gun in a “gun sock” and put the gun in my safe.

The most critical component of storage is maintaining consistent ambient conditions. Large swings in temp and humidity will cause condensation. This will cause rust. Look at museums. Their pieces can be 100s of years old and they're not going around and oiling and cleaning and polishing their collections all the time. The ambient conditions are kept constant.

Chapter 2, section 2-3:
However it is recommended that the day optic sight be left on the rifle.

Chapter 3, section 3-15:
3-8. STORAG E a . When rifle is to be stored in the system case, ensure the chamber and magazine are free of any rounds of ammunition and rifle is cleaned and lubricated as per instructions (see para 2-7 and 3-1). b. Ensure there is no live ammunition in the area. c. The bolt will be in the closed position. d. Pull the trigger to release spring tension on the firing pin spring. NOT E The preferred method of storage is in a vertical position with the barrel down.

(Nothing about removing optic, see section 2-3)

The only time the optic should be removed is when sending it back in for depot level repair per 3-9.h

Chapter 2, section 2-6:
c. Open the lens caps to prevent gathering of moisture.

You're unlikely to find any other official direction other than what's in the TM and the Army's sniper manual posted above, that's about as official as it gets. It sounds like your armorer's are ignorant and they're actually doing more harm than good by wanting to constantly remove the optics for storage, no one does that.

Reactions: slava khokhlov
Hi.

You made me laugh today...:)
Sorry to disappoint you, I am not Russian spy... I believe they do know how to store their weapons.

Sorry for not introducing myself previously.

My name is Slava, I am from Israel, I was born in Ukraine, but lived my hole life here in Israel since I was 5, My family immigrated during the 1990s. So I probably more Israeli, and not Ukrainian and definitely not Russian.

I serve in a reserve unit, as most Israelis do. And I have some disagreement with the logistics team, regarding the proper way of storing our weapons.
From the one hand it need to be stored for long time, from the other it need to be ready to use.

I was looking on line for some US orders or user manuals on this topics, ( because who will argue with you :) )..

Unfortunately all I found is the operator manual of the M24, it`s a good start, but I need some document or recommendation to store the weapons with the day scope on, so it will be always zeroed. it takes a lot of time to zero the guns each time... and this is what I am trying to change.

Yep, I understand, Its funny place to look for information... but it's the way thing are been done here, unfortunately ...
It is what we pay for not having professional army...

Thank you, for your time.
Have a good day.

Slava.
Yea the Israeli's, comprised mostly of Jews which have the highest IQ on the planet, can't figure out how to store their weapons?

Logistics team? Sounds like gun running.

Any professional military has process and procedures for handling and storing weapons.

Reactions: 308pirate
I need some document or recommendation to store the weapons with the day scope on, so it will be always zeroed. it takes a lot of time to zero the guns each time... and this is what I am trying to change

You mean to tell us that standard procedure in the Israeli Army is to always remove the optics from the rifles when storing them in the armory?

That's too fucking stupid to believe.

You mean to tell us that standard procedure in the Israeli Army is to always remove the optics from the rifles when storing them in the armory?

That's too fucking stupid to believe.
But, at the same time, just dumb enough to believe.

• Haha
Reactions: spife7980

Chapter 2, section 2-3:
However it is recommended that the day optic sight be left on the rifle.

Chapter 3, section 3-15:
3-8. STORAG E a . When rifle is to be stored in the system case, ensure the chamber and magazine are free of any rounds of ammunition and rifle is cleaned and lubricated as per instructions (see para 2-7 and 3-1). b. Ensure there is no live ammunition in the area. c. The bolt will be in the closed position. d. Pull the trigger to release spring tension on the firing pin spring. NOT E The preferred method of storage is in a vertical position with the barrel down.

(Nothing about removing optic, see section 2-3)

The only time the optic should be removed is when sending it back in for depot level repair per 3-9.h

Chapter 2, section 2-6:
c. Open the lens caps to prevent gathering of moisture.

You're unlikely to find any other official direction other than what's in the TM and the Army's sniper manual posted above, that's about as official as it gets. It sounds like your armorer's are ignorant and they're actually doing more harm than good by wanting to constantly remove the optics for storage, no one does that.
Hi,

Thank you.

Its excellent for me. couldn't be better...

BR,

Slava.

Unload it and put it away? Dehumidifier or silica gel packs in the storage container???

OP, when I was in, putting a weapon in long term storage was called “lay up”. Procedures were on what’s called a PMS card (I’m describing the US Coast Guard and US Navy system-the Army calls their Preventative Maintenance System something else). The PMS system instructs how to take apart, what to inspect, how to clean each weapon system, etc. Regarding lay up for any rifle, the scope would be removed and stored separately or issued back out into the fleet, the weapon would be inspected and any issue fixed, then the rifle would be coated in cosmoline and wrapped in a vapor barrier backed paper and then placed in a plastic bag and sealed. Of course the bolt would have been removed and treated the same and placed inside the bag with the rifle.

it doesn’t make sense to remove the scope or special sights, but unless they were serialized to the weapon they were removed.

lay up would be any storage for longer than one year. And that doesn’t happen unless the weapon is being put into war storage and the weapon system being replaced in the current use. There were exceptions. If a ship was going into a long term repair/dry dock rotation, many weapons assigned to the ship would be stored and held for that ship to emerge from its repair. For example, we would dismount the M242 25mm “chain gun” from the mounts and store them either aboard in an armory or ashore at a secure unit or small arms, etc.

but for normal, turn in to the armory because the mission is over stuff, the scopes stayed on the rifle and it was put into the corner in its pelican case and the serial numbers were inspected monthly to verify inventory. Scopes were only removed for layup.

hope this helps

Last edited:
OP, when I was in, putting a weapon in long term storage was called “lay up”. Procedures were on what’s called a PMS card (I’m describing the US Coast Guard and US Navy system-the Army calls their Preventative Maintenance System something else). The PMS system instructs how to take apart, what to inspect, how to clean each weapon system, etc. Regarding lay up for any rifle, the scope would be removed and stored separately or issued back out into the fleet, the weapon would be inspected and any issue fixed, then the rifle would be coated in cosmoline and wrapped in a vapor barrier backed paper and then placed in a plastic bag and sealed. Of course the bolt would have been removed and treated the same and placed inside the bag with the rifle.

it doesn’t make sense to remove the scope or special sights, but unless they were serialized to the weapon they were removed.

lay up would be any storage for longer than one year. And that doesn’t happen unless the weapon is being put into war storage and the weapon system being replaced in the current use. There were exceptions. If a ship was going into a long term repair/dry dock rotation, many weapons assigned to the ship would be stored and held for that ship to emerge from its repair. For example, we would dismount the M242 25mm “chain gun” from the mounts and store them either aboard in an armory or ashore at a secure unit or small arms, etc.

but for normal, turn in to the armory because the mission is over stuff, the scopes stayed on the rifle and it was put into the corner in its pelican case and the serial numbers were inspected monthly to verify inventory. Scopes were only removed for layup.

hope this helps
Hi,

Thank you, for your replay.

Our problem is that in general all our equipment is stored for war, and the specific of our country is that you need to go from 0 to 100 in no time.
So, on one hand the logistics try to be as efficient as possible, and they disassemble all they can and put it in thick layer of oil, and from the other hand there are us (the simple reserve guys) that understand that in hour of need we will not have the time to proper zero the weapon and bring it to fully working condition. More of it, some times our organic gear can be used by different units, and malfunction accurse, because of un proper carriage (not using pelicans)...

Currently we are doing a lot of "noise" to deal with the problem of proper storage ...

I am working on a document of recommendations on how we need to store our equipment, I needed some solid argument of "look how other army's doing it" and "this is the user manual so don't argue with me :) "and your example have very heavy weight in our organization.

So, thank you again, for your help.