• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Storage,primers and gunpowder types

jericho

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
ct
Hi there all.
So I realize and understand why never to store powder and primers together, but what,beside impact or fire, can set off primers in storage? What type of fire extinguisher is best for controlling burning powder?

Then, does anyone have any links to articles/resources explaining the pro's/con's/applications of the different shaped grain powders? I realize that sounds like a huge topic in itself,so I don't expect anyone to commit a huge amount of time to this,hence just wanting links to existing literature on it.

Thanks gents.

Re: Storage,primers and gunpowder types

I've never heard of anything that would set off primers other than extreme heat or impact. They are not that easy to set off. You have to crush the crystalline structure of the compound.

By the time you realize a can of powder is burning, I'm guessing it would be way too late to try and put it out. There would be a big whoosh if it was not confined, like when you were a kid and poured the powder out of a firecracker. If it were confined (like in a safe), there would be a big explosion. Modern powders are 'progressive', meaning the higher the pressure, the faster they burn. Commercial powder storage lockers have blow-out sections which will fall away to release pressure in case of a fire. Black powder is different. It will explode even if not confined.

Generally, the burn rate of powders in a cartridge is controlled by the type of retardants the factory has applied (the gray coating, the powder itself is an ugly yellow) and the shape of the powder particles. The more surface area, the faster it will burn. Generally, a long extrusion will burn slower than a ball, flake or short extrusion. The details are way over my head and I'm sure it gets very complex.