• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Store mags loaded?

Re: Store mags loaded?

I generally cycle my mags out every few weeks or so so the spring doesn't take a set. Personal preference

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every mag I have is loaded. </div></div>

I keep emptying my mags at the range.

Refills are getting expensive.

BMT

Yes.

Springs don't 'take a set' , they fatigue from total number of cycles. Loaded is one cycle. It simply does not care if the cycle last 5 seconds or 5 years, its still only one rep for the spring.

About half of mine are loaded, the other half will rotate and be filled a couple times a year. I do this for me but I have had mags loaded in a drawer for years and not seen any signs of spring set when I stumble upon them.

if they are empty i can not shot them so my vote is for full cuz i am lazy

cool
thank you all
locked and loaded
i have the magpulls with this nice cover so good to go!!!
and i like to shoot them so i plan on occasional USE !!!!!
john

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSAR FE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I generally cycle my mags out every few weeks or so so the spring doesn't take a set. Personal preference </div></div>

You are wearing them by loading and unloading. Leaving them loaded/unloaded causes no wear on the spring. There is no "taking a set"

Long term - no
less then a year - yes

And I dont agree with this idea that there is no cycle sitting loaded. Changes in temp change the tension on the spring day in and day out.

The idea that a spring, of any kind, is just a stable stored under tension and relaxed flys in the face of comon sense and engineering

Most of mine are loaded, and when I go to shoot those are the mags I shoot, then I load others and shoot them, and the cycle continues.

I keep a few loaded but rotate them every couple of months. I keep hearing that it's ok to leave them loaded longer, but it's one of those habits that's hard to break.

You do not take tension off any springs in your car do you? Anyone lift their car and unbolt the suspention to keep the springs from taking a set? Or the valve springs?

Do you know ANYONE that removes the springs from their bolt? Or the empty mags?

Every spring in your weapons is under load at all times. That's their job. They go unnoticed because they do so.

Magazine springs are not voodoo. They have a cycle lifespan.

The way to get what people think of as set is to over compress the spring distorting it (Read BENDING it) and changing its bound rebound characteristics. While it is possible to have heat affect one when fully loaded, it would have to be hot. Springs are tempered and heat treated to make them springs, very unlikely that you would ever come close to the temps that would affect it.

Most of the mag springs are made out of aluminum, and the only way you're going to see any kind of relaxation of the spring from long term loading is if your elevate the temperature of the spring such that the atoms inside the metal can adjust themselves to relieve the stress that makes them want to return to their original shape and the metal recrystallizes. This is called creep and is only concerned at approximately half the melting point of the metal, which for an aluminum spring would be ~400F. Loading and unloading will cause permanent shear deformation of the metal which will cause it to tear after enough cycles, something called fatigue. Stay prepared.

I have mags I keep loaded in/near some of my rifles. For the most part, I don't load them after going to the range just to load them. I shoot the ammo and leave the mags empty. Thus my "range" or "practice" mags are generally empty.

I have enough ready to go that I'd consider myself "prepared" but not paranoid.
smile.gif

Spent a year+ in the combat zone ('Nam) with fully loaded mags. The dumbest magazine move is to keep empty ones. They don't do much to save your life when things come right down to it...

Never had a mag malfunction on me (M-14). Good thing, that.

If you can't trust your mags, replace 'em; simple as that. I never saw the need to with any of mine.

Greg

Springs are cheap and they are consumables, just like barrels and brass. Thus keep them loaded and replace the springs as they wear out. It is that simple.

I keep all my magazines loaded all the time. I've shot 5 magazines that have been loaded for 2 years and no problems at all.

Every mag I own I keep loaded. They will not take a set by being loaded properly. Overloaded? Yes. Take a paper clip and bend it back and forth. Eventually it breaks where it bends. This is essensially what you are doing with a spring, only it is designed to handle many thousands of "cycles" before breaking. Each time a mag is loaded and then unloaded, it goes through a cycle.

Specifically, P-Mags have been designed to be kept loaded for extended periods of time, per MagPul. And this is without the use of the dust cover.

I keep a few bandoliers loaded with Mil 30 rd mags. They have been loaded since 2004. My uncle has a few hundred mags loaded mixed 20rd and 30rds since 1993. No issues with feeding except a few that where rusted from a flood. I keep all mine in special plastic wraps with (silcon packets) to prevent issues with moisture and or water. In Iraq I shot a lot of aks and MP5s and the most common problem with them was keeping mags loaded and moisture. Those I cleaned the mags and springs every week.(The mags we used where old really old most likely from the 80s).

i have about 9 mags loaded the rest are not. The reality is that IF you need your gun for personal defenc chances ar your not going to be doing MAG dumps on him. In all reality you probably would not fully use a 20 round mag. For defending my self i have 2 20 round mag's loaded with Winchester supreme ballistic silver tips.

I sold a rifle once that the guy wanted to meet at the range and shoot his LC ammo through my rifle before buying it. He loaded a magazine from the first Gulf war. Tried to load it and it jammed. Tried this about eight times before switching to another, same thing happend. I told him his mags were bad and that I would give him the Rifle if it didn't shoot one of my P-mags without a hiccup. He said it was my stupid gun no wonder why I was selling it. Switched the magazine and it fired without issue. The idea that a mag will not take a set when left for a period of time is untrue. I don't empty mine out all the time but I also don't leave loaded mags for decades at a time
smile.gif
Under normal use a magazine is fine to let sit (no more than a couple years)

Good info here...was concerned about load on the springs causing problems. Will now keep my mags at the "ready".

As was said before, an empty magazine will do me no good when needed

...JaxOps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSAR FE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I generally cycle my mags out every few weeks or so so the spring doesn't take a set. Personal preference </div></div>

You may actually be working against your intended goal with that approach (I'm assuming you're hoping to extend the life of the mags). Properly tempered quality spring steel will not "take a set". Rotating mags does nothing to extend spring life and may actually decrease it if the mags are loaded and unloaded more often than they otherwise would be.

This issue comes up regularly on pistol and semi-auto rifle forums. In terms of metallurgy what wears out a spring is cycling (i.e. loading and unloading) in other words...use. Leaving a mag loaded (spring compressed) will have no more effect on the life of the spring than leaving it unloaded (spring relaxed) since neither condition involves cycling. Also there is no reason, in terms of spring life, to short load by a round (or more) as again no cycling is involved; the spring will be equally happy (and have equal lifespan) whether the mag is kept empty or fully loaded.

I have been told that is the wrong thing to do. It seems that the springs wear with use not compressed with ammo.

I rotate all of my mags once every two months or so. I have 10 plus mags for every weapon I own so I just keep a simple spreadsheet of when i last swapped out mags with rounds.

Eventually, all mags will wear out depending on how many cycles you run through them. The spring just wears out like shocks on a car. You can extend the life of your mags by buying top quality mags......like pmags for an AR or Wilson combat mags for a 1911. Keep your mags cleaned after your shoot and they will last longer. In the end, all mags have to be replaced no matter what they are.

If your shooting a pistol the recoil spring willl wear out before your mags go.....especially a 1911 . I replace my custom carry guns spring every 3,000'rounds whether it needs it or not. No time for a duty weapon to fail bc I got cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rprecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long term - no
less then a year - yes

And I dont agree with this idea that there is no cycle sitting loaded. Changes in temp change the tension on the spring day in and day out.

The idea that a spring, of any kind, is just a stable stored under tension and relaxed flys in the face of comon sense and engineering </div></div>

thx

I thought, I am the only one ...

Hermann

( only a Tech Engineer )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rideHPD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the mag springs are made out of <span style="color: #CC0000">aluminum</span>, and the only way you're going to see any kind of relaxation of the spring from long term loading is if your elevate the temperature of the spring such that the atoms inside the metal can adjust themselves to relieve the stress that makes them want to return to their original shape and the metal recrystallizes. This is called creep and is only concerned at approximately half the melting point of the metal, which for an aluminum spring would be ~400F. Loading and unloading will cause permanent shear deformation of the metal which will cause it to tear after enough cycles, something called fatigue. Stay prepared. </div></div>

Ahem - really?

I prefer SS to CS springs, but I will take ANY Steel spring over an Aluminium one any day of the week ...

note: AR mags might be Alu, but ( GI ) ( most ) springs are ( SS ) Steel ...

so I think you are plain wrong there.

Hermann

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hermann</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rprecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long term - no
less then a year - yes

The idea that a spring, of any kind, is just a stable stored under tension and relaxed flys in the face of comon sense and engineering </div></div>

thx

I thought, I am the only one ...

Hermann

( only a Tech Engineer ) </div></div>

Not trying to be a dick here just want the OP to get the correct information...

May "fly in the face of common sense..." but it absolutely does not "fly in the face" of engineering. Properly applied engineering principles will validate my statement; feel free to check me on that. As for cycling due to changes in temperature: I suppose one might argue that point in theory, but come on... thermal expansion induced movement of a millimeter or two versus full loading/unloading? BTW: storing the mag loaded places the spring under compression, not tension. Not that it really matters for this discussion. As long as the loading does not induce stresses that exceed the yield limit fatigue does not occur.

I've never seen a mag spring made of aluminum...
confused.gif

On one point I definitely do agree: magazines <span style="font-style: italic">are</span> consumables and do wear-out and need to be replaced.

Point of qualification: the above statements assume the use of quality alloy spring-steel or stainless spring-steel. In the case of lesser materials: all bets are off!
wink.gif

Yeah, you're probably right on that one after looking around, I'm apologize, I disseminated incorrect information on the topic, I forgot the rule of thumb that most of the larger AR parts are Al and smaller are steel, LPK components bc of their resistance to deform when assembling the rifle, etc. I posted that after a long day of huffing resin fumes unintentionally while doing some research, but the science still stands, and is what I'm paying 12k+ a year to learn. The only difference is that the operating temperature at which creep is activated is elevated; it is still at about 1/2 the melting temperature in absolute scale (kelvin for those with a science background), which for any steel will be higher than aluminum, and even at those temperature levels the rate of elasticity loss (the "weakening" of the spring with time, the decreasing force put on the round by the magazine spring) will be very minimal, and would have to take a long time. The metals still have the same creep behavior as far as we are concerned with the temperatures magazines will experience, realistically in operation or storage, unless kept in a furnace. Cyclic loading and unloading WILL decrease their lifetime and reset the life not in terms of time, but the number of times loaded and unloaded (cycling magazines WILL decrease their life span). There is a potential exception dependent on corrosion, which will decrease a magazine's lifespan, and depends on the type of steel. Depending on the steel (I don't have the time to figure out which is the case) saltwater (table salt, sodium chloride) nitrates, other chlorides, carbonates, or a few specific other cases could cause corrosion based stress relief (what it is called when a material is stressed and deforms after time to relieve the stress, which in a magazine will cause a decreased pressure on a round being feed out of a magazine prompting feed issues, and can occur with EXTREMELY low concentrations when in water, but yet is typically not experienced with these kind of systems when exposed to an airborne form. Basically years of science has shown that your magazines will not have any trouble feeding if you keep them loaded if you don't expose them to very high temperatures or mildly corrosive environments, primarily those that are very salty and humid (near the coast). You will experience mag failures if you cycle them out constantly, and the best way to preserve a magazine, loaded or unloaded, is to not load or unload it and leave it alone, bc the corrosion will cause a breakdown regardless of load condition and the required temperature exposure is unlikely to occur (for steels if I can remember the avg is around 800F-1000F, I can't really be sure, numbers are flying around in my head, I'll look it up when I'm done taking tests). Keep your mags loaded, they're either fine or fucked, either way. The only way to have good mags you can trust indefinitely is to keep some loaded in a cool, dry place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rideHPD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the mag springs are made out of aluminum</div></div>
WTF Batman if you have a spring made out of Aluminum there's something wrong with you cap gun.
wink.gif
Aluminum doesn't work as a spring. It would crack way too fast if you could get it to try to return to the original shape. Have you ever had a hard time getting Aluminum foil to take a shape and hold it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes.

Springs don't 'take a set' , they fatigue from total number of cycles. Loaded is one cycle. It simply does not care if the cycle last 5 seconds or 5 years, its still only one rep for the spring.

</div></div>

Exactly. Cycling mags or using them wears them out. They don't "take a set"...It's proven fact.

thanks guys
I really enjoyed my return to mechanical engineering text book
(hated that class took the "D" and move over finance major lol)
i have then all loaded and in a dry clean place locked with each gun and the appropriate range bag with in
HAPPY SAINT PATRICKS DAY TO ALL
GOOD DAY TO BE Irish or for those that just want to BE :)
mtk-john

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'Storage', no. 'Immediate-use', yes. </div></div>

what he said, thats the way to do it

Storing mags loaded does not harm them. LE, SWAT and etc. carry mags loaded all the time. Sometimes they sit for years.

Personally I store them empty because you do have to worry about that top round in some mags becoming slightly deformed.
But you can easily rotate it to the middle or bottom every so often.

Aside from my home defense shotguns, mags are kept empty around my house.

I still have few Colt 1911 magazines that I loaded with hardball over thirty years ago. Every few years I'll shoot one. I've never had one fail yet.

i store p mags loaded , shoot often and keep reloading them with new ammo. But at the rate ammo is going up in price, I may not be shooting as much anymore.

I don't keep all my mags loaded, but do keep enough loaded so that I can at least give a realistic accounting of my shooting before the zombies over-run me. I rotate out the mags that are kept loaded from time to time.

I keep a couple of Grendels loaded with 2-25 round mags, one AR with 2-30 round mags, one Benelli Super 90 with 7 rounds in it, and an AR10 type with a 20 round mag in the vault.

Other firearms aren't loaded up, and there are plenty of unloaded mags around. I figure I should be able to get a few zombies before they eat my brains.

Old magazine springs used to have lots more problems than modern ones. However, keep in mind that there are plenty of WW2 magazines from various countries that are still working just fine.

I think we are more likely to have magazine trouble from buggered up magazine lips and dents than from springs....although spring issues can happen. My Para Ordanance pistols all seem sensitive to recoil spring deterioration. So, I just keep a goodly supply of replacement springs around. And the springs are fairly cheap at about $5-8 each. I buy 3-5 for each para pistol when I go to my friend's shop as he usually has boxes full of each type.