• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Storing powder in your powder trickler?

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2017
    I recently started to just leave my powder, H4350, in my Chargemaster instead of emptying it out after loading.

Is this a mistake? What do you do?

One caveat: I live in an EXTREMELY dry environment. My CM is in my garage as well. But that's where I store the powder that's been opened and "in use".

for rifle: the few seconds it takes i always dump it back in the jug

for pistol: that shit says in the dillon

I put my unused powder back in the cannister and store in a cool, dry place. Safer that way and it lasts for years/decades.

VooDoo

Reactions: Balor
    I do the same basically; the point being to have a clear unambiguous visual clue as to what powder is in the system. I'm a firm believer that when you start a reloading session you need to see it through to completion and avoid interruptions as much as possible. That being said, unexpected things happen and it's really easy to get distracted and forget what you're doing. My workflow is generally:

1. pour the powder, but leave the container on the bench alone
    2. as I fill a case, I place a bullet in the neck to know that I've completed charging that case (double filling can be messy)
    3. empty the hopper/system when done
    4. put powder back on shelf
    5. CLEAN UP

The advantage of all of this that if I'm interrupted for whatever reason, be it 2 minutes or 2 hours, no powder is exposed and I can visually see what powder I'm using and what cases have already been charged. The trick is being disciplined enough to do this consistently. Over last summer I trained a friend new to reloading and tried to instill these basic steps, but he called me a few times to let me know he screwed up because he got distracted and forgot what powder he was using or what was already in the system.

I only reload for one caliber, 6GT, and only use one powder. So, not an issue for me.

My concern is will the powder somehow degrade over time? I don't fill the hopper and if I believe it will be months before I'll reload again, I'd empty the hopper and put the powder back into the original container and close the top tightly.

I'm still using some powder and primers from a large batch I got in 2008. As long as you store them somewhere stable, they'll last.

I recently started to just leave my powder, H4350, in my Chargemaster instead of emptying it out after loading.

Is this a mistake? What do you do?

One caveat: I live in an EXTREMELY dry environment. My CM is in my garage as well. But that's where I store the powder that's been opened and "in use".
    Powder not stored in a sealed container will be subject to the environmental conditions and the moisture content will change over time until it reaches equilibrium with its environment. As powder loses its moisture, its burn rate increases and visa-versa. With an increase in burn rate comes an increase in velocity. So, if you're highly tuning your cartridges for accuracy, like competing at a high level, changes in burn rate/velocity is a problem. Some people are confounded when they find their velocity has increased with a particular load using the same powder from the same jug and not realizing it's because their powder had dried out some. And likewise, there's been people complaining about their powder being slower not realizing their highly humid environment that they reload in has added moisture to their powder over time.

Where YOU have a problem leaving your powder in you CM after reloading will depend on how long it sits there before your next reloading. An extremely dry environment will act like a dry sponge and pull moisture out of powder pretty quickly. I know this because I also live in an extremely dry environment and have measured moisture content and watched what happens with my powder when I use it.

For example, new bottles (1 pounders) of Retumbo that I got had a moisture content of ~52%. A month later as I had less than 1/2 lb left in the bottle I was using; the moisture content was at ~39% and I was getting MV's substantially faster. The environment I reload is inside my home where the humidity runs pretty constant at around 29% (outdoors it can be as low as 7% this time of year, but that's not an issue for reloading). I pour what I need into a hopper and when I'm done it goes right back into the bottle and is sealed tight until the next reloading session. You'd think I wouldn't loose much moisture doing this, but apparently, I do. So, now I use humidor moisture packs in my powder containers to maintain a certain moisture level, especially in my 8lb jugs, and that has helped keep my loads much more consistent over time, which is important to me as I tend to be on the OCD side of things with it comes to precision reloading.

If precision reloading isn't really your focus, then I feel you really don't need to worry about leaving your powder in your CM between loading sessions. It'll still go bang. ;)

Last edited:
    Powder not stored in a sealed container will be subject to the environmental conditions and the moisture content will change over time until it reaches equilibrium with its environment. As powder loses its moisture, its burn rate increases and visa-versa. With an increase in burn rate comes an increase in velocity. So, if you're highly tuning your cartridges for accuracy, like competing at a high level, changes in burn rate/velocity is a problem. Some people are confounded when they find their velocity has increased with a particular load using the same powder from the same jug and not realizing it's because their powder had dried out some. And likewise, there's been people complaining about their powder being slower not realizing their highly humid environment that they reload in has added moisture to their powder over time.

Where YOU have a problem leaving your powder in you CM after reloading will depend on how long it sits there before your next reloading. An extremely dry environment will act like a dry sponge and pull moisture out of powder pretty quickly. I know this because I also live in an extremely dry environment and have measure and watched what happens with my powder I I use it.

For example, new bottles (1 pounders) of Retumbo that I got had a moisture content of ~52%. A month later as I had less than 1/2 lb left in the bottle I was using; the moisture content was at ~39% and I was getting MV's substantially faster. The environment I reload is inside my home where the humidity runs pretty constant at around 29% (outdoors it can be as low as 7% this time of year, but that's not an issue for reloading). I pour what I need into a hopper and when I'm done it goes right back into the bottle and is sealed tight until the next reloading session. You'd think I wouldn't loose much moisture doing this, but apparently, I do. So, now I use humidor moisture packs in my powder containers to maintain a certain moisture level, especially in my 8lb jugs, and that has helped keep my loads much more consistent over time, which is important to me as I tend to be on the OCD side of things with it comes to precision reloading.

If precision reloading isn't really your focus, then I feel you really don't need to worry about leaving your powder in your CM between loading sessions. It'll still go bang. ;)
    and this is why dehydrating your powder works wonders

(y)

Dehydrating to what level?

Works wonders for higher velocity? Consistency?
    105 degree for 45ish minutes

higher velocity (we use weight not volume, so dryer powder means more kernels in the case) and it will make lot to lot variance pretty minimal as well

@orkan has tested this and i'm sure has his data handy

105 degree for 45ish minutes
    Ah ha . . . only have to put my powder out on my shaded patio for 45 minutes then. ;)

higher velocity (we use weight not volume, so dryer powder means more kernels in the case) and it will make lot to lot variance pretty minimal as well

@orkan has tested this and i'm sure has his data handy
    I get it.

However, one would then have to pay attention to keeping it dehydrated for that consistency. 🤨 :)