• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Storing reloading components

Notso

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Sin City
I'm taking a job outside of the country and unfortunately not somewhere I can take my guns and reloading equipment. I'll probably be gone for 2-3 years and will store my reloading equipment and components.

Any suggestions for storage? Since I live in a desert, I'm not terribly concerned about my stuff rusting, but wonder how long the shelf life is on the powder and primers. I probably have about 30+ lbs of powder and 10,000 primers. Any issues with them sitting for a few years in a dry climate? I know they'll go "kaboom" when I get back, but will accuracy or consistency suffer?

Last question: I'm tempted to anneal, FL size and trim a bunch of brass before I leave since I have time to do so. Any problems with doing the above and letting the brass sit for a while?

Thanks!

Re: Storing reloading components

In a climate controlled facility, it should be fine. I wouldn't put it in the garage, where in the summer time, the temp. can be well in excess of 100 degrees along with the humidity. Air conditioned storage would be ideal. I am not sure if they would legally allow you to store gun powders and primers in their facility. I would not store my guns in there for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 years ? i'd shoot it, load it all up, or sell it. </div></div>

I wouldn't, component prices go ONE way: UP!

Store it and don't worry about it. If the temperature will be higher than 100F, I might worry a little, but not much.

I was given 1/4 pound of some HERCULES Reloder 15 from 25 years ago, which had a lid that doesn't seal great. It smelled fine, and it worked fine.

A worry-wart gave me several thousand Federal primers from back in the day before they changed their packaging to the crappy sideways style they do now. He was afraid they wouldn't work. They had been sitting in his shed in Michigan for 10 years (From -10F to 100F, and from 0% Humidity to 100% humidity). Some of them had even gotten wet, because the cardboard showed it had been wet. and they were every bit as good as new ones.

Buy a FoodSaver and seal everything. Place it in a low humidity, cool temperature room and it will last for decades.

ETA

I still use some Large Rifle Magnum primers I bought back in 1992. They sat for a long time bacause I was so into the pistol and small rifle stuff. Now I am using them in my 0.308 just to use them up. Still 3000 left, and they are consistent < 1 MOA.

As mentioned above, sealing and keeping dry is certainly preferable...!

If I anneal and size the brass before I go and then let it sit in storage for that long - will it be good to go or would I need to resize again for best accuracy?

FYI - all my reloading is for a precision bolt gun NOT blasting ammo.

Thainks again for all e replies.

Brass can get harder with age,but you should not see any difference in 3 years.I would prep it and not worry about it.As to your primers and powder,avoid extreme temp changes and humidity.Good Luck with the new job, Pete

I have 3 non working fridge's. One stores powder, the other-primers, and the last is for loaded ammo.

Notso,

You mentioned that you had some time before going out of country. A question - if you have your load development complete I would load the ammo and then store in a safe dry place, in which it sounds like not a problem for you. By doing so, when you return to the States you can go 'tear' the range up!

I live in the Desert also.

Although I don't recommend it. I had some Shotgun Powder and Primers that set out in my Garage for about 5 years and it shot just fine for me. The powder actually sit in the Loader tube for that long.

For comfort of mind leave the powder in the original container and put the Primers in an ammo box. They are sealed for this kind of stuff.

As long as you can put a dehumidifier in the facitity and keep it away from temperature extremes, I think you will be fine.