• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Storm mountain training anyone shoot there?

walnuts

Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
Looking for some feedback on Storm mountain training facility In WV. Looking to improve my long range skills and this looks like a good place to start. Any one shoot there? How is the staff and the facilities? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have taken all of Rods long rang rifle courses, I thought the facilities and instruction was excellent.

They are high speed low drag. Have used their training grounds several times. The staff will help with what your training needs are. It would be my first choice for training on the east coast. The facility and grounds are first rate for training along with the ever changing climate conditions.

They are high speed low drag. Have used their training grounds several times. The staff will help with what your training needs are. It would be my first choice for training on the east coast. The facility and grounds are first rate for training along with the ever changing climate conditions.
It's a first-rate facility, but spending half your course in the pitts isn't high speed. And not all the instructors are low drag. Do you still have to sign up for 'level 2' before they will teach you mil ranging?

Knowing the OP, I think he/we were more interested in any info on the annual 3 day shooter/observer competition that they hold at Storm Mountain each year. This year it is Sept 27-29th. How physically demanding is the civilian COF etc.

Thanks,

The Capn'

Cap'n,

I have two friends that shot that 3 day match last year and both placed in the top 5. I will give you some impressions when I see you next.

Long story short, I want to shoot it this year if I can.

--Fargo007

I saw the flyer. The match looks like it is well thought-out and that someone put effort into making it a test of more than just shooting skill.

I found it on their site and I totally agree. This is a sniper match.

The matches we usually see are shooting competitions that exercise bits and pieces of those extended skill sets from time to time.

--Fargo007

Any link to this flyer and site? I googled Storm Mountain Training and found a bunch of YourTube views (some with some cool music in background) and their Facebook page, but not much with real info on this shooter/observer match.
thanks

I took long range 1 in 2006, it was detailed, full of pertinent info, lots of trigger time, no pit duty, great facilties, etc.
Also did the 2012 Sniper Match, was on par w the class, everyone at SMTC is squared away, for what my word is worth I recommend them highly.

I sent out my registration form today. I spoke to other people that have completed this match and they all agree that it is not one to be missed. No matter how you place, there is lots of info and practical experience to leave with.

The Capn'

The check is in the mail. Lucky for me my team mate shoots better than me, I will have to try and keep up with him.

No direct experience with them. Know several people who have taken LRT courses there, they have nothing but good things to say about them.

IF you're in the neighborhood, I can't recommend Ed Shell at Central Virginia Tactical enough.

What Ed doesn't know about shooting isn't knowledge.

Look into him.

The good folks from Storm Mountain have cancelled the shoot this year due to lack of interest. They claim that it is due to ammo shortages. I received my uncashed check back about a month ago. I was really looking forward to this competition but at least it means that I have another year to hone my skills.

The Capn'