• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Storm vs. SKB double rifle case

sakoluvr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
North Carolina
Guys, I found a good online price for these 2 cases. I am leaning toward the storm. Is the SKB any better? I have never handled either case, but was wondering if someone has experience with either. thanks.

Re: Storm vs. SKB double rifle case

They each make a lot of cases, you might want to post pictures or links to confirm which 2 you're looking at.

Assuming they are the two I'm thinking of the Storm is nicer, but that also depends on what you're using it for (you didn't tell us). One tactical rifle, two hunting rifles, flying, going to the range, etc etc?

The only experience I have with SKB stuff is in reference to the electronics/musical industry. In my opinion, Storm makes a much better gun case than these SKB's. Maybe their "gun line" is better, I don't know. If it's all the same, I say Storm.

Ive handled both and after toying around with the both of them I now own a storm. The storm just felt sturdy and well built however it was a tad heavier than the skb hints why the skb didnt feel as sturdy.

It appears that the storm is about 4" wider. I am getting it. I think Storm and Pelican is one in the same company. See my other post on where to buy for $139.00 shipped!

I just got an SKB, it is nice, the padding is nice and thick, the stuff appears like it will hold up pretty well.

The storms that I've seen/used were about the same quality as the SKB that I have, but I have one of the top tier SKB's which was bought as a "Post Show Sample" for cash. Considering what I paid for it, the price tag beat out the Storms. For regular going street prices, I think the storm may be a better deal.

My SKB double Gun has fell out of my truck at 30-40 MPH, My 300RUM Sendero and 260 XP-100R were in perfect condition,didn't even loose zero. Yes it's the sickest noise you will ever hear, didn't close my tailgate. Luckily it just skidded into the ditch.They've got my business if I need another one.
AR-15-1JPG.jpg

Go with Storm. Not only is the product excellent, their customer service is stellar.

I had a problem with a rivet while installing a hinge and they found a replacement rivet from another supplier and sent it to me free of charge.

Absolutely top notch.

My SKB double rifle case has kept my rifles safe for over 10 yrs!!! Still as good as the day I bought it and I've not been kind to it.

I Think the Storm case offers a better protection of the gun. However, the SKB (specially the double rifle) allows a lot of stuff inside, plus the gun.

I have both and I trust more the Storm for air travel, but I prefer the SKB for going to the range (put lot of stuff inside).

But I had sent gun inside both and they all protected the rifles.

I own a SKB double rifle case and use it for hauling my rifles to the range. For that purpose, it suits me just fine. I might consider the Storm if I did a lot of flying with firearms.

Check out the Explorer cases from Euro Optic. Those cases are made for the TRG's, you'll be buying from a Hide sponsor and one hell of a nice guy.

I bought one a few months ago for my annual deer hunting trip to Kansas and they are the cat's ass.

I own both although my SKB is the bigger version. They are both great cases and either will work fine. I like the locks and hinges on the storm much much better. To be fair though after a few trips to Africa and ten + years the SKB has held up just fine. they goth do there jobs and protect just fine.

I don't have any experience with the SKB, but I have 1 Storm, and a Pelican, and the Storm seems lighter, and has nicer latches. My money would go to a Storm. My .02 JPG

I have both Storm and the pelican case. Here is my .02, with the storm/pelican you have to designate/buy one per rifle while the SKB can be universal. I thought about buying one to transport my Sako and soon my USW 338 Lapua. Which if I bought the storm for each rifle would be approx $500 for the cases and thats for the Pelican 1750. Which I would probabley have to get the 1770 (which is $300+/case)because my Sako barely fit in the 1750 (leaving aprox 1/4" of padding on each end of rifle).