• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

STR BENCH REST RIFLE

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida
I know most of us are not into the Bench Rest Sport, but recently I have been getting the itch to try it. After building them for others, and then watching them at the local range, I gave it a try for my self. Mind you, I'm still a field rifle lover first. I wanted to share pics of my first personal bench rest rifle with you. It is built on a Stiller P1000 action, Kreiger barrel, McMillan MBR stock, Jewell BR trigger, ARC rings, and a NF bench rest 12-42x56 scope. I chambered it in 6.5x47 Lapua with a JGS standard match reamer. I also did a you tube video as I went along, but it's in six parts. If you want to veiw any part, just visit my channel on you tube: suar08161991. Thanks.
DSC_0484.jpg

DSC_0462.jpg

DSC_0489.jpg

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0508.jpg

Re: STR BENCH REST RIFLE

Damn fine work. The BR guys would be proud to see a rifle like that on the line.

The painting on the stock is amazing! I guess you built it for 600 yard B/R? Very nice rifle!

I like the shiny stuff too! Looks good, and should shoot quite well. Top components.

Agh.

Makes me want to shoot BR again... Fantastic setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed Baker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The painting on the stock is amazing! I guess you built it for 600 yard B/R? Very nice rifle! </div></div>Built mine for 600 yd BR but found out it works great at 1000 yds to. The 6.5x47 is a great little round. I am shooting the 123 SMK and scenars at times. I am not to much of a BR shooter but I enjoy it when I shoot them. I never practice with them but My 2 BR calibers are ballistic twins to my field rifles so practice is more productive will my field rifles as I feel that is much more important. NIce rifle. I had Ghost flames painted on mine. I like that much better

Thanks a bunch guys. I have to admit, I don't know much about shooting BR, I just know they try to shoot the smallest groups they can. I really don't know all the tricks to prepping brass for hand loads. The rifle shot a best group of 3 rounds at just under .090. After that it would average around .150 to .200 for five shot groups. I used 123 scenars in Lapua brass filled with 38.3 grains of RL 15 with Fed. match primers. If some one has better loads, PLEASE share them with me. The artist is a local guy who mostly works on show cars, and bikes. He goes by REK, but I really don't know if that is his name, or his company name. All I can say is that he is great to deal with. I gave him an Idea of what I wanted, and walked away. I'm a lousy photographer, so believe me when I tell you that the pics don't do his work justice. If anyone is interested in his work for any type of airbrush art, let me know, and I'll look up his number and post it. Again thank you all for your kind words.

I could swear I've seen that gun before. Did you post pics of it on another forum a month or so ago?

RobertB, that's funny stuff, I did the same. I built a field rifle similar to the bench rifle in that same caliber. It shoots very well out to 1K, which is what made me build this one in the same caliber.

No, this is the first time I posted any pics of it. I put it together for the last time last Friday, shot it Saturday, and took pics on Monday. I sent these same pics to Russ over at Stiller, and to a couple of friends, but that's it. I tried to register on BR Central to show them, but for some reason, I can't login.

Shoot me a PM< I'll clue you into some of the secrets of the benchrest world and they might even help you cut that group down a bit. Been shooting BR for about 10 years or so, then I decided to try this stuff. Still BR, just not as much, but then again I shoot pretty near everything.

Well that's odd then. I know I've seen a gun with flames done like that recently.

Jerk....there was a similar build with similar paint on the Hide not too long ago.

I thought it was the same gun as well....until I saw STR on the side.

Ok good thought I was going crazy. What kind of paint is it and how durable do you think it will be?

beautifull rifle, did you bed the barrel and if so how much of it??
TIA

That other rifle was built by S&S Precision, and had a card scheme on the right side. That's what inspired the ideas for mine. I bed only to the action. The whole barrel is floated. Others may not agree, but it's always worked extremely well for me, and going past that has never shown me any improvement in accuracy. If you pull the barreled action you would see bedding all the way down. But there is .060 of space between the barrel and stock. As for price, they are less expensive to build thank field tac rifles. However the paint job can be any where between $400.00 & $600.00 depending on what you ask for. Not counting rings and scope, I have about $2000.00 in parts. The paint he used I believe is a PPG product. It should last a life time if properly handled. Sorry I took long with the answers, but 70 hour work weeks and a house full of children leaves me little time to play.

Ozzie that rifle is beautiful, the fit and finish on the parts is fantastic looking, I'm glad to see this thing came together for you and I have no doubt you'll enjoy it for years to come.

I've never gotten into the BR game, but with a rifle like that I'm sure the weak link would be entirely me behind the trigger. The paint job and gleam on there is stunning.... I keep looking at it, it reminds me a lot of some hotrods I've seen over the years.

1.17" 5-shot at 600 yds.That was with the 123 scenar and 37.5 grn VARGET That is my personal best. I did very good with the rifle I thought at a 1000yd match(only one I have shot with this rifle) VERY little vertical despersion. 30MPH winds easy that day so the horizontal wasn't the best but ALL bullets that day were scorable. Targets were getting ripped off the backers that day I have only shot 100 yds groups with it once or twice and they were really about .5MOA maybe a little better. It's a tackdriver at the longer ranges. It will usually hold 1/2moa at 600 where most of its time outside the safe is spent. And thats withme behind it. I'm deff not the best shooter or reloader out there. I would like to see it's potential.

Boy Robert, now you got me excited about trying something new. Bad thing is I won't be able to try it for atleast 3 weeks do to work load. I will load up, and take a trip to Manatee range. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks a lot.

Great rifle and videos. My imagination took off when you mention getting tangled in the machine when you were doing the sanding. Made me a little nervous for the rest of the sanding.

JWV, I can't stress enough how dangerous the lathe can be if someone who is learning makes a mistake because they didn't know better. For those learning, please, please be careful. Thank you for the compliments on the video. I realize I used improper words at times, that's because I'm at alost for words when i know it's being recorded. I'll try to do better with future vids.
I think I'm in trouble.... I've hardly shot this one, and I'm planning another one.
Again thank you all for your compliments.

As pretty as it gets!!! Why don't I see this particular action on Stiller's website?

REK? Sounds like a "former" graffiti writer to me. Some of those guys have talent falling out of they're ears and have found ways like airbrushing and tattooing to make a good living. There a couple of them around here that would make people that spent thousands on Art degrees feel really bad about themselves. Great looking rifle. Don't know a damn thing about BR but that doesn't mean I wouldn't try, given the chance.

I don't know that there is a picture of it on there web page, but I believe it is on their list. I saw it at their facility when I visited last year in May. I ordered 2 of them to try them out.

I don't know that there is a picture of it on there web page, but I believe it is on their list. I saw it at their facility when I visited last year in May. I ordered 2 of them to try them out.

I worked on H-D's as a wrench for a couple years. I've been around guns for 25.

That is the first gun I've seen that seems to blend "chopper" and "shooting" in one very VERY sweet package!

That is just bad-ass!! Your next one, should have flames as the fluting on the barrel!
wink.gif

Thanks for sharing!!

-G45

If I were a single guy with no kids, it would be Rifles, Custom Bikes, and Cigars. I guess 2 out of 3 isn't bad. Honestly, that rifles looks is owed all to the artist. Thanks guys, it does my heart good to hear your compliments.

Ozzie - Where did you get the M3 rings in white?

I have a Nesika K being built up into a 6BR/308W switch barrel and think these would look pretty slick with the silver/stainless theme.

I got them straight from American Rifle Company. I met Ted at Shot Show, and asked if I can order them in the white. He said no problem. I did polish them my self though. I love those rings they are very well engineered and look very good polished. I'll try to send you better pics to your email if I can. Call Ted, he's a super nice guy who will treat you like family.

Outstanding! If a True Fire-flamed, blown Hemi-powered Deuce coupe was ever reincarnated into a rifle, well, there it is! HOT ROD or FLAME THROWER would be fitting nicknames for that rifle.