• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

straight 284 experiences

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    Well I am about to build a straight 284, it is going to be a 700la 9 twist throated for the 180vld. Just looking for experiences good or bad.

thanks scott

Re: straight 284 experiences

Scott,
    I've been shooting the same setup for about 3 years now. I started with the 175 SMK's and they shot so well I never got around to trying the 180's. I'm pushing H4831SC with in a 28" barrel to 2850 FPS. Just rebarreled after 3200 rounds. It started dropping off a little around 2600 though. All my experiences have been good. I also shoot a 260 and at 1000 yd's the 284 is the out right winner.

Dennis

good to hear it has reasonable barrel life, I just needed another caliber I didn't have anything in between 6 dasher and 338 edge.

nothing wrong at all with the .284.. mine is a tack driver the only problems with any of my rifles is the darn nut behind the bolt keeps getting loose...

diggler, Graham is having GAP build him one with the same specs right now. I think he's using a different action though. I can't wait to see how it does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sure glad your looking for a " straight " .284 lol. </div></div>

as opposed to a gay 7mm (inside joke)

I have a .284 9 twist on a long action with a 26 inch Broughton 5c. I also had mine throated for the 180 berger. The 180, and the 175 Matchking shot well, but then I tried the 168 Berger and stopped looking. Also used a couple of powders and nothing came close to 4831sc. Good Luck!

Im also in the process of a 284 build except mine is a short action and reamer set up for a 140 grain...This is going to be a lightweight hunter. Got a Benchmark barrel coming for it though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stiggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">diggler, Graham is having GAP build him one with the same specs right now. I think he's using a different action though. I can't wait to see how it does.</div></div>I've got y'all beat: I've ordered a 6.5/284 necked-up to 7mm.

It will be on a GAP action, with a gain-twist barrel starting at 9.75 and ending at 8.9.

Only 25" of barrel, though. I only want/need 2850fps with 180's, and the capability of shooting the 168VLD's with RE17 if I want to go faster.

Powder will be 'straight' 4831, none of that bi-curious 4831SC stuff.
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GLOWWORM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5-284 necked up to 7mm LMAO </div></div>

Lol...no its not a straight .284 its a 7mm-284, its a 6.5-284 necked up to 7mm...
    whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GLOWWORM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And difference is ?????? </div></div>

No difference, a 7mm is a .284, I was just goofin' with ya...

very nice of course mine will be a benchmark barrel also, its the only way I fly. thanks for getting my thread going again BK