• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Straight Contour for Match Rifle

B-P-UU

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Anyone running a straight (1.25x1.25) contour on their comp rifles?

Good, bad, other? I think I'll give one a try but curious if others have an opinion.

Currently use HV contour.

Last edited:
MTU
M24
Heavy Varmint
BR/Straight Taper...
Are all a couple of hundredths different along the length of the barrel. I’m sure an armorer and machinist can tell by looking, but most people probably can’t, or feel a four ounce difference on a 14-20 lb rifle.

I think a lot of it is preference, and once you’re shooting any one of these “full contour“ barrels you’re getting the mass and heat conduction you’re looking for...

I have rifles in all of these and fluted/unfluted. I just don’t see it making that much difference in the shooting. I’m sure some feel more strongly than me, but that’s my opinion.

Last edited:
To be honest... my new proof comp contour in an mdtacc may be the point at which I am finding myself thinking "this is a bit much." I really like the previous mtu contour in the acc.

Seriously though, I prefer to balance my rifle out with proper barrel contour selection then with weights. I have a 24" MTU barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor, which balances around the mag well, and a 28" heavy varmint contour in 6BRA, which balances slightly forward.

Both are very controllable on barricades, the balance is much better then say a 26" Hawkhill Marksman profile that I ran for one barrel. I like the balance at or a bit forward of the magwell, and the above two barrels both accomplish that.

I've never ran a 1.25" straight barrel, so I can't provide any comment on that. They seem to be becoming a lot more popular. I don't foresee myself going to a 1.25", just seems a bit excessive to me. My next 6BRA will probably be a ~24-25" MTU or Heavy Varmint, to balance out a ~9" suppressor that will be going on the end.

If a 1.25" straight barrel gets the balance and weight you want, then rock on.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
At the end of the day a straight contour is cheap weight on the front of the rifle. You can save the $$$$ and not buy some Gucci bolt on weights.
Yep.. exactly what I was thinking.

That’s a lot of weight at the end of he barrel.
I’d rather have a heavy varmint or comp profile if you want a pig of a barrel yet a nice balance.

I like my balance just forward of the mag as well.

I've never ran a 1.25" straight barrel, so I can't provide any comment on that. They seem to be becoming a lot more popular. I don't foresee myself going to a 1.25", just seems a bit excessive to me. My next 6BRA will probably be a ~24-25" MTU or Heavy Varmint, to balance out a ~9" suppressor that will be going on the end.

If a 1.25" straight barrel gets the balance and weight you want, then rock on.

I typically practice with a 338 ultra and 28" HV, so the 1.25 straight would have a similar balance point as the practice rifle with suppressor. (Or that's the goal at least)

Reactions: Eric32 and kthomas
At the end of the day a straight contour is cheap weight on the front of the rifle. You can save the $$$$ and not buy some Gucci bolt on weights.

False logic.

You're not wrong, but the trouble is, you cannot REMOVE barrel weight easily.

A lighter barrel, with the option to ADD weights allows more flexibility for the rifle platform.

False logic.

You're not wrong, but the trouble is, you cannot REMOVE barrel weight easily.

A lighter barrel, with the option to ADD weights allows more flexibility for the rifle platform.

That's certainly true. If you find yourself wanting to play around with different weights and balance profiles, using a lighter contour barrel in conjunction with weights is a lot more versatile. That would be a good way to tinker around with weights and balance profiles to nail down a preference if you don't have one.

If you know what you want for balance and weight, and not going to change it, then the most elegant way of achieving that is with barrel contour, IMO.

If you want to be super Gucci, get a 1.25" straight contour carbon barrel and rifle weights.

MTU
M24
Heavy Varmint
BR/Straight Taper...
Are all a couple of hundredths different along the length of the barrel. I’m sure an armorer and machinist can tell by looking, but most people probably can’t, or feel a four ounce difference on a 14-20 lb rifle.

I think a lot of it is preference, and once you’re shooting any one of these “full contour“ barrels you’re getting the mass and heat conduction you’re looking for...

I have rifles in all of these and fluted/unfluted. I just don’t see it making that much difference in the shooting. I’m sure some feel more strongly than me, but that’s my opinion.

There is a huge difference between a straight contour and any of those other contours. A straight contour 26" barrel weighs about 9lb. That's about 50% more barrel then a M24.

There is a huge difference between a straight contour and any of those other contours. A straight contour 26" barrel weighs about 9lb. That's about 50% more barrel then a M24.
Yikes!
My 28” heavy Palma is 5.5 pounds.

50%? I suppose it does vary...
barrel-contour.png

I prefer a 26 MTU when transitioning, but I’d be lying if I didn’t prefer a 28” full 1.25 no taper for balance and recoil mitigation. Yes, even on a dasher.

That said, dropping a dasher from 2950 to 2750-2800 makes more difference being able to spot shots than adding an extra pound or two on the end of your rifle.

Reactions: Fig
That said, dropping a dasher from 2950 to 2750-2800 makes more difference being able to spot shots than adding an extra pound or two on the end of your rifle.

Stop spewing gibberish, you know damn well you where jelly of my 6x47L, 1.250" straight, pushing 115's at 3k fps #norecoil

A Heavy Varmint, MTU, and M24 all walk into a bar...

If you can tell which is which then let me know cuz they all look nice and thicc to me.

56732A03-282A-478D-BE02-A736C1C6E842.jpeg

I was running a fluted Senduro 24” before, now running an unfluted M24 24”. The balance is so much better now, seems easier to manage recoil now.

Speaking strictly in the sense of current trends in competition rifles.

Even as recent as a year ago, we mainly used barrel contours to balance the rifle to our specific preferences. Along came chassis with weight systems. Now, we can use weights to balance the rifle.

So, IMO, *if* your goal is to have a 20lb+ rifle, *and* you have the option of a weight system, it makes much more sense to run a straight taper or mtu, and then use weights to balance the rifle the way you like.

This is assuming you won’t be using the rifle for much else. If it’s going to double as a hunter or something else, then go lighter profile and add more removable weights.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Speaking of heavy barrels, does anyone have the Straight Jacket Armory VCC contour?

IMO Proof competition contour is the heaviest profile I like. I also have a straight 1.25 contour and barely has any clearance on my MPA. Muzzle devices are too small unless you run a suppressor.