• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Straight Jacket Barrel System / Dracos Barrels : Anyone else considering these?

tmpugliese

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2013
The more I think about these, the more I am considering getting one for the following reasons.

1. Having a barrel for my 6.5 CM that could potentially last 2 or even 3 times longer (or maybe even longer than that...) than a regular barrel.
2. Slightly lighter than a barrel of comparable diameter while being stiffer and running cooler.
3. Their price, although 750 to 900 bucks for aluminum or titanium, also includes cerakoting of barreled action (which costs a few hundred anyways) as well as threading and crowning the muzzle (which costs another hundred). This price also includes inletting stock barrel channel for wider profile barrel.

Things I'm unsure of:

1. Would it be better to have LRI chamber and mount a barrel and then send barreled action to Teludyne, or would it be better do just send Teludyne a Bartlein barrel blank and have them straight jacket it and send to Chad for final chambering and fitting.

And maybe there are other things I'm not considering, but was wondering if anyone else wanted to weigh in with their thoughts.

So, I've been interested in this exact thing for many of the same reasons as you. They're touting AMAZING barrel life with these, so much so that they'll send you a new barrel for free if you ever burn the barrel. I'd also want to have LRI work on it, but it seems that they don't do composite barrels like the PROOF barrels, but I was wondering if that applied to these too.

I'll be watching these barrels closely, because I will pay the price if they do what they claim.

I've been reluctantly keeping an eye on this as well. I need another excuse to spend money, like I need a hole in my head, but a couple extra thousand rounds has serious value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot a rifle with an early release Dracos chambered in 6.5 this past weekend. It is on a Surgeon action. The guy who is running worked up some handload 6.5 Creedmoor and he said he was pushing 3000 FPS through this barrel. The gun is accurate, and even with a monster looking barrel on it the gun is deceivingly light. I am definitely considering going with this system for my next re-barrel on my bolt gun. I spoke to one of the owner's of Falkor/Dracos, and the lifetime warranty is real. "I want people to shoot out their barrels, these are the type of customers we want" is what I was told.

They are also working on semi-auto barrels. I also plan on going with a 6.5 barrel of theirs for my new upper.

Pricey as hell, but all things considered, they are close in price to a Proof barrel or the like. Added bonus: custom cerakote colors available on them :)

I too have been watching the Dracos barrels since I saw some highlights on youtube during the 2017 shot show. I forget the gentleman's name from Falkor who gave the details of the barrel but he was quite funny. "The composite is a mixture of glitter and broken dreams". Was nice to see someone who doesn't take themselves so darn seriously. Doesn't sound like the bolt barrels will be out until later this year since other platforms have priority. I'm watching closely for reasons others have mentioned.

Good Idea. Have participated in discussions on The 'Hide for over a decade on basic concepts similar in nature. I think the price is reasonable, and that the execution of the concept is very well done. Would expect the aluminum sleeve to be sufficient. I seriously doubt I would ever shoot one enough to invoke the warrantee, but that wouldn't be my aim.

It's a barrel like this which could finally enable my dream of a .22-250 match bolt gun that sheds heat quickly enough that it retains its accuracy through a competitive course of fire. I think one chambered in .22 Nosler could be optimized for the AR, taming whatever heat effects might plague the chambering. A practical 1000yd .22 caliber comp gun of the proper length and twist might evolve from this.

IMHO, this is the fix for problems associated with 'overbore' chamberings.

Greg

Good Idea. Have participated in discussions on The 'Hide for over a decade on basic concepts similar in nature. I think the price is reasonable, and that the execution of the concept is very well done. Would expect the aluminum sleeve to be sufficient. I seriously doubt I would ever shoot one enough to invoke the warrantee, but that wouldn't be my aim.

It's a barrel like this which could finally enable my dream of a .22-250 match bolt gun that sheds heat quickly enough that it retains its accuracy through a competitive course of fire. I think one chambered in .22 Nosler could be optimized for the AR, taming whatever heat effects might plague the chambering. A practical 1000yd .22 caliber comp gun of the proper length and twist might evolve from this.

IMHO, this is the fix for problems associated with 'overbore' chamberings.

Greg

Agreed...my first thought was 6.5x284 just got put back on the table as a viable option for my next build. Given the Dracos barrels perform as they're being marketed to perform.

I don't know how I missed these guys. I may give them a shot only next 6CM rebarrel.

So, I've been interested in this exact thing for many of the same reasons as you. They're touting AMAZING barrel life with these, so much so that they'll send you a new barrel for free if you ever burn the barrel. I'd also want to have LRI work on it, but it seems that they don't do composite barrels like the PROOF barrels, but I was wondering if that applied to these too.

I'll be watching these barrels closely, because I will pay the price if they do what they claim.

if the free barrel for a burnt out deal is for real, i cant think of any reason to ever buy another brand...id definitely give them a shot barring they dont shoot minute of pie plate at 25 yds

The only one I have seen shot well. I can't say how barrel life is, though. Josh from Wilder Tactical brought a Teludyne barreled Savage 300WM to Rifles Only several years ago. In the discussions about the barrel design, they decided to put on a hell of a hillbilly test. They routed out a 2x4 with a hammer and screwdriver (as I recall), duct taped the barreled action to the "inletted" board all the way down the barrel, screwed an AR grip to the bottom, and went to the range. Two quick zero shots at 100 and off to the tower and the 1k line, where Jacob punished the 1k target. He was going to shoot it (taped into a 2x4 stock) in the next local match there, but Josh took it back. There was some video floating around of it........

yep, here it is.
https://youtu.be/KZvRIVorJAI

I've been looking into the these too, and from what I understand they require the barreled action. This ensures that the barrel is turned down to keep perfect alignment with the action. Of course, I'd send them the whole gun, to get the stock opened up.

I've had one on order for sometime now I'm hoping to get it soon. Price is high but a lifetime warranty is worth it (As long as Falkor stays afloat)

Have an AR 10 with a straight jacket barrel.... will routinely one hole with 165 SMK handloads.... will do a 600 yard shoot at my club with it this summer!

I just got my 6.5 creed in from Falkor with the Drakos barrel. Pretty excited. Will keep you updated on it. Its not super light, but not heavy either. Hope she shoots.

That lifetime warranty is pretty ludicrous, but if the barrel technology works in whicking away heat to prolong barrel life... as someone mentioned, it is nice people are pushing the envelope on barrel technology.

Regards,
DT

.22-250 with one of these will be my next build for sure. I wonder what they consider shot out enough to qualify fr the warranty.

FYI I spoke to someone at Falkor, if you buy from them the blanks they are using are BHW/CRA.

I just got my 6.5 creed in from Falkor with the Drakos barrel. Pretty excited. Will keep you updated on it. Its not super light, but not heavy either. Hope she shoots.

That lifetime warranty is pretty ludicrous, but if the barrel technology works in whicking away heat to prolong barrel life... as someone mentioned, it is nice people are pushing the envelope on barrel technology.

Regards,
DT

DT - Any feedback yet?

Ha, no. Serious slacking. Ive been hoarding (ahem stealing) brass like a bandit at matches from guys shooting factory ammo. Up to about 300. Need to get some dies still as well. As I just switched match rifle caliber, so the 6.5 creed been on the back shelf.

I hope to get something started in the next year. The hard part is I really never shoot autos unless its a team match, and this year its my turn to shoot the bolt gun. Will keep updated.

DT