• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Straight or angles bipod lock?????

SmokinAce

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
AZ
Looking at getting a bipod lock with the new bipod and they have a straight lock and a angles lock. Which one and why? Always used a non swivel pod this will be the first swivel pod for me so new that option.

Re: Straight or angles bipod lock?????

Make sure the lever has an angle to it so that it can help shed anything that snags it during movement with the rifle.

Also make sure that you <span style="font-weight: bold">do not</span> install a metal lever. The metal levers will not give or absorb impacts and can snap the pivot rod on the Harris bipods.

Also make sure that your kit has a bushing/spacer that provides plenty of lateral support to the pivot rod between the bipod frame and the lever assembly.

In a worst case scenario, you want the lever to break if the rifle gets crunched into a rail or other hard surface or the lever catches on something during a run. The lever may need replacing but your bipod would still be intact and functional. A call to the maker of the kit should get you a replacement lever for free under warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure the lever has an angle to it so that it can help shed anything that snags it during movement with the rifle.

Also make sure that you <span style="font-weight: bold">do not</span> install a metal lever. The metal levers will not give or absorb impacts and can snap the pivot rod on the Harris bipods.

Also make sure that your kit has a bushing/spacer that provides plenty of lateral support to the pivot rod between the bipod frame and the lever assembly.

In a worst case scenario, you want the lever to break if the rifle gets crunched into a rail or other hard surface or the lever catches on something during a run. The lever may need replacing but your bipod would still be intact and functional. A call to the maker of the kit should get you a replacement lever for free under warranty.

</div></div>

How about this one?
Link

Yea well it is 2x the price and I am on a tight budget at the moment and from what I have read is the last run of pod locks had major issues issues and no one has tested the new ones long enough to know if they are any good. Also trying to get the bipod and lock from 1 place to save on shipping.

Ok looking for a 6-9" swivel harris with notched legs and a pod lock style adaptor. So where can I find the best deal on both together?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokinAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea well it is 2x the price and I am on a tight budget at the moment and from what I have read is the last run of pod locks had major issues issues and no one has tested the new ones long enough to know if they are any good. Also trying to get the bipod and lock from 1 place to save on shipping. </div></div>

Look, you get what you pay for. This is not the place to go cheap unless you want to have problems down the line with broken locks, bipods, etc. Yes, Terry's pod-loc may cost a little more than cheap alternatives, but it is a part you can depend on that will work when you need it to!

Check with Triad Tactical about a combo bipod and pod-loc...they carry both and are supporters of the Hide:

http://www.triadtactical.com/Bipods-etc./

SmokinAce, just checked, triad sells Pod-Lock at 22.95 Midway sells the knock-off at 12.99, that is less than 10.00 difference.

But, if you are buying the Harris knock off at Walmart at 39.95 might as well go cheap all the way.

Tell you what I'll do for you as you are new to this, buy the Harris from triad, and I'll buy you the Pod-loc from him.

Deal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SmokinAce, just checked, triad sells Pod-Lock at 22.95 Midway sells the knock-off at 12.99, that is less than 10.00 difference.

But, if you are buying the Harris knock off at Walmart at 39.95 might as well go cheap all the way.

Tell you what I'll do for you as you are new to this, buy the Harris from triad, and I'll buy you the Pod-loc from him.

Deal? </div></div>

Sent you a PM

got it.

You buy a Harris from triad and I'll buy you the genuine Pod-Lock from Triad and he'll ship both to you. No strings. Consider it a gift.

Damn! Where's mine Kasey?
smile.gif

I'm guessing in your gun locker?! lol

I'm just trying to help a guy out that is new to the long gun with some better gear instead of the knock-off c-rap. Just doing the kind of stuff SH is known for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just trying to help a guy out that is new to the long gun with some better gear instead of the knock-off c-rap. Just doing the kind of stuff SH is known for.
</div></div>

GREAT job Kasey. I know that you have helped me out quite a bit.

I promise to pay if forward in some way! Thanks a million! The people on this site are the reason I come to this place for help and info!

That's great Kasey, nice gesture! Now, to the OP, really? If $10 is going to make a difference on your set up, you need to find another hobby. Just man up and pay for it yourself, and do it right the first time.

you guys are making me blush...besides you'd all do the same thing except I beat you to it!

BiggerStick47, the way I took it was the OP could not justify the difference in price between the two (I'd like to believe we have all faced that before). Terry laid out the what to look for but our new guy was fixated on the dollars which means he has no future in politics... Anyhow, he'll be okay, being frugal is not bad, spending poorly is, and I believe he, like all of us will learn that.

Not sure however the OP understood that Terry was the creator of the loc. Terry, being the class guy that he is, didn't jump up and down and yell, Hey, buy mine. Maybe he couldn't read between the lines. SmokinAce buy the good stuff the first time around. Most people on here won't steer you wrong. There is a reason one is a bit more than the other. Search around and see what Terry has done for the shooting world as well as those in the two way fight.
Chad

I guess I read the thread "POD-LOC kit Public Service Announcement . .sort of" and never put it together that Terry (in this post) was the creator of the POD-LOC (and the same as that post). Kasey was very generous with his offer. I have tried a few times to get him payment for the lock or something but he has been hardnosed about wanting to do this (I appreciate it). Was I trying to be cheap… not intentionally but when it comes to something like this without physically testing both to their limits how would one know the difference? They look almost the same while being made out of the same material. Kasey refuses to let me square up with him so I will pay it forward in some way to make it right. I am not here to ride on others coat tails (learn from other yes but use them most certainly not). I have spend probably close to $1K on items from hide members. Also I had a Harris bipod that the lovely airline people decided to destroy but at least the rifle made it safe. The TSA guy decided he needed to open the case and then while in the case decided he needed to pick up the stock with the bipod on it. While doing so he dropped it next to the conveyor which in turn sucked the bipod leg in damaging it beyond repair (whole frame bent) while the stock walked away with a scratch only. It will be 6+ months to get the money from them and my budget is gone after this build. Saved a long time just to build the poor mans stick I have so that I could get into this part of the sport. So for some individuals on here $10 is nothing but to others it is something and I don't judge others based on what they have and don't have so I ask that you consider others in that light. Kasey you sir are a gentleman and a scholar!

PS- If someone has Kasey’s contact info (address) please PM me. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokinAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about this one?
Link
</div></div>

Short story. . . . . . In October 2008, Bob McNulty of MIDWAY USA contacted me for a Pod-Loc sample and distributor pricing. A couple of months later, I followed up with a call and was advised that they received the kit and pricing and were waiting to add the kit to their catalog after first of the year.

The Pod-Loc kit was never added to their line up but the MidWay branded "Alpha-Bravo" kit was introduced as an equal substitute for less money.

I cannot keep people or businesses from looking for substitutes and alternatives and frankly would not want to. All I would like is that everybody be informed so they can make the best choices.

MIDWAY USA did not deal with me in a proper manner in my opinion, so I am a bit biased. No big deal that they chose not to carry my product, however the way they handled their business leading up to that decision is not the way most of our community handles things.

MIDWAY USA is selling a subsitute kit that is not made in the U.S. and regardless of origin, is not equal to my kit.

MIDWAY USA has not put any research or testing into their version and because they are using a 90 cent electonic standoff as a spacer, the pivot rod is not supported. Hard use will ultimately bend or break the Harris pivot rod because it is not supported and protected from lateral impacts.

Now if you want to save some money and still have at least some function, go to MSC Industrial supply and McMaster. You can cut MIDWAY out of the loop and save an additional $3-4.00 for the same imported assembly and spacer. Ditto for T-Nuts. They just buy their imported assemblies from sources like above and mark their profit into it.

Now I am very, very fortunate. Even though the Pod-Loc kits are important to me and we assemble each lever assembly, LocTite, lube and inspect each one, I still have my main income which is rifle work.

Please note that there are other shops and individuals out there that are less fortunate. Their primary income and livelyhood is from a product or service that they developed to fill a unique niche in the shooting community. I know the MIDWAY USA has repeated this same process of getting product samples and pricing from those people only to introduce their own "MIDWAY USA" version of it in their catalog. THAT is what irritates me more so than my own treatment. Like I said, I am very lucky.

I knew you were looking at alternatives when I made my ealier response and accepted the reality that you and others will continue to do that. Accordingly, I did not mention my kit as an option. My reply was genuine in trying to share with you what we have found after dealing with this for the last 11 years.

Best of luck with your shooting.
Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokinAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have read is the last run of pod locks had major issues issues <span style="color: #3333FF">(You are correct.
I had a run of injection molded levers that were shit. That is why I stopped shipping, offered free replacements for any breakages (always did anyway), and dumped about 3,600 levers in the garbage.)</span>and no one has tested the new ones long enough to know if they are any good. <span style="color: #3333FF">(You are incorrect. I had about a dozen of the new levers with new material sent prior to approving the 5K run. These levers were assembled by me and then held in a machine vise by the insert while being hammered HARD from different directions. They are made from the same material as a GLOCK frame and I drew the new shape on CAD to be more robust and user friendly. I am very happy with the new version and trust it implicitly. I can assure you that this failed quality issue was so costly that I made absolutely sure that it would not recur.</span>)</div></div>

Terry I want to thank you for the input and not pushing your product. You tried to provide information rather than sell me a product, which these days is unheard of. After much more research I am confident that your product is of better quality and standards compared to the others. I also appreciate the explanation on the differences in your product and others. Normally $10 would have not swayed my decision but with the multitude of things happening in the last few months (personally) pennies really matter. It is also interesting to find out how you were treated by MIDWAY USA. Seems being the wally world of the shooting world seems to change things. I am glad that I will get the opportunity to use your product and enjoy it for years to come. I didn’t doubt that you would make it right with this run of locks I just have to rely on reading reviews of products to make my decisions vs spending money and “trying” it out is all. I will pay back Kasey in some way for his kindness as it is the right thing to do. Being new to this aspect of shooting sports means I don’t have a clue who or what companies are vital to the sport. I grew up mostly participating in skeet/trap with some handgun and rifle experience. I have spend the last 12+ years working with my father to train Boy Scouts and their parents on the safe practices and operations of firearms primarily in the shotgun portion of the sport. When I decided that I enjoyed shooting at longer distances and build my poor man’s stick I knew I had a long road ahead of me but it all has to start somewhere right?. Terry it is great to hear from someone who is vital to the sport and finds the time to help out the newbie’s and give them suggestions/information. Thanks again to everyone on here as you all make it a great place and one where I choose to spend my time aimlessly wondering around reading so many different post that provide a wealth of information beyond belief.

Because of great guys like Kasey, great product info from Terry, and the story about Midway's conduct, I'm upgrading from the cheapy to the real deal Pod-Loc from E. Arthur Brown. They have a Harris / Pod-Loc package deal that drops the price to $20. Thanks guys, for the guidance.

I have to say it got here last week and I put it on and it is amazing! I think I was in the garage at the work bench for 30 min playing with it and sweating to death but who cares (garage was 98 and it is monsoon season so humidity is way up)! I got a little side work so now I can get a few rounds to work on sight in and then hopefully have enough left to participate in the monthly phx match next month. So worth it and Kasey is the best! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.