• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Strange issue with Glock 17 Gen 4 + Silencerco Threaded Barrel

Benito

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2011
I have 3 Glock 17 Gen4s, and decided to pick up some threaded barrels for them. The first 2 appear to function fine, however 1 of them is having a strange issue.

The barrels in question are here FYI
https://silencerco.com/threaded-barrels/#tab-2

The issue is the slide cannot move backwards on the frame when the Silencerco barrel is installed. You can rack it once or twice, but it binds up after that. The slide moves normally with the OEM factory Glock barrel. The issue appears to be the geometry of the recess that the recoil spring assembly (RSA) sits in. On the Silencerco barrel, the RSA is not fully secure, and has a bit of play that is just enough to move it out of position and bind up the slide on the frame. By contrast, there is ZERO play in the RSA position when the OEM Glokck 17 barrel is used.

Has anyone experienced this before, now how to fix/avoid this, or do I need to send this back for a replacement?

Thanks

Have you tried the barrel in question on either of the other two 17's? If after doing so, you still experience the same outcome id contact Silencerco. Ive no doubt theyll straighten you out

I'll try it out, but the issue is definitely with the interface with the RSA and the barrel recess it sits in. The RSA in question is brand new (literally zero round count). I will try another RSA in it.

Youre probably right. I was just curious if there was some amount of tolerance stacking between that particular threaded barrel, slide, and guide rod that caused the malfunction you described.

Youre probably right. I was just curious if there was some amount of tolerance stacking between that particular threaded barrel, slide, and guide rod that caused the malfunction you described.

Aha gotcha.
It is possible, but handguns, Glocks in particular, ought not have tolerances between barrels and slides that are tight enough to cause malfunctions when swapping parts.

Update:
Very strangely, the issue seems to have gone away. I really don't get it. I am unable to replicate the issue. Same exact gun, same exact RSA.
It is possible this was user error (DEFINITELY wouldn't be the first time hehehe).
I will update if anything changes.