• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Strasser RS 700: straight pull Remage-style barrel nut that uses R700 accessories (stocks, triggers)

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
So I was on a thread about a different Strasser rifle. Curious, I wandered over to Strasser’s website to check it out and instead chanced upon the Strasser RS 700.

Now get this: It’s a straight-pull that’s designed with the Rem 700 footprint with a Remage-style barrel nut. Plus it works with Rem 700 stocks and triggers! AICS mags. Pretty cool. Expensive.

Edit: noticed it takes R700 barrels too! They need a “small rework” due to the Starasser “fat bolt,” as they put it.

What do you guys think? I’m not in the market but it’s an interesting idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harman117
I have not played around or shot one.

But I do own a Strasser RS 14 Evolution Tahr, straight-pull, multicaliber (26 different calibers actually).
It is my first hunting rifle, and as a German hunter, I have considered Mausers, Heyms, Steyrs, Blaser, Sauer, Haenel, Tikkas, etc..
When I saw the Strasser, the quality of it, handled it, got the feel of it, worked the receiver and the trigger, I was done.

Like I said, I have not handled or shot a Strasser RS 700, but I take your bet that if you do, you will be impressed, at least.
It´s finest engineering, and if a German says so, that means something. :cool:
The barrels are Lothar Walters.

They are pricey by any means.
Other rifles will do the job too, no doubt.
But still, lay your hands on one and tell me you are not intrigued.
You decide if it is worth the price for you.

"There are not many rifles like this, and this one is mine."
;)

I have not played around or shot one.

But I do own a Strasser RS 14 Evolution Tahr, straight-pull, multicaliber (26 different calibers actually).
It is my first hunting rifle, and as a German hunter, I have considered Mausers, Heyms, Steyrs, Blaser, Sauer, Haenel, Tikkas, etc..
When I saw the Strasser, the quality of it, handled it, got the feel of it, worked the receiver and the trigger, I was done.

Like I said, I have not handled or shot a Strasser RS 700, but I take your bet that if you do, you will be impressed, at least.
It´s finest engineering, and if a German says so, that means something. :cool:
The barrels are Lothar Walters.

They are pricey by any means.
Other rifles will do the job too, no doubt.
But still, lay your hands on one and tell me you are not intrigued.
You decide if it is worth the price for you.

"There are not many rifles like this, and this one is mine."
;)
I wonder if, mechanically, the action is mostly the same as on your gun? Perhaps the “wrapper” around the bolt or form factor is what changed to make it compatible with R700 stuff.

Yessir,
it is exactly the same receiver.

This is the owner Strasser himself, a hunter as well, introducing his new kid (I mean the RS 700).

And here a warning, the receiver has an "itch".

Go to 1:33 minutes in this video.

They call it the "Strasser move", and yes, the receiver runs really that smooth.

Yessir,
it is exactly the same receiver.

This is the owner Strasser himself, a hunter as well, introducing his new kid (I mean the RS 700).

Lol that dude looks just like an American on a Harley. Cool. Usually hunters I’ve seen in German gun ads always look like they’re part of the polo/dressage set with the added bit that is the German little feathered hat.

How hard are Strassers to maintain vs R700? Like bolt strip-down and other little things.

The bolt strip (seperating the bolt head from the rest) is a joke, toolless and done in seconds.

Strasser comes from Austria, not Germany.

For the "little featherhats" (OT):
Well, there is a lot of tradition in the "German" (Austria and Switzerland as well) hunt.
I´m anything but a traditionalist, coming from the sport shooting scene, having done IPSC and other dynamic shooting sports, I knew even before I went into hunting, that I never will be a "Loden-Jockel".
BUT, to get a hunting permission in Germany is not an easy thing (wo would have guessed), especially in the southern states (Baden-Württemberg and Bayern).
I f.e. had hunting education twice a week in the evening and almost every saturday for 10 months.
Wildlife biology (all wild fur and feather animals), hunting practice (wildlife cherish, loss prevention, traps, hunting ground running etc.), weaponry (knowledge, handling, laws, hot and cold weapons, optics, ballistics, shoot training), dogs (races, treatment, education, leading and searching), wildlife diseases, hunting laws.
You must have (here in Baden-Württemberg), at least 130 hours of education, in theory and practice, to get the permission for the exame.
Your leading instructor has to proof your ability for the exame to get there.
The exame has three parts, shooting exame, in written form and oral / practice (the last one being the hardest one).

And yes, there is a lot of knowledge and tradition, which formed over centuries.
The "polo/dressage set" honours their hunted animals, giving them their "last bite" and thanking them for their meat.
And it´s the hunter´s honour and duty to kill the animal as fast and as painless (humane if you want so) as possible, or, not to pull the trigger if he isn´t sure he can do so (letting the finger straight).

Long story short:
You start with combat boots, jeans, a colourful shirt and a basecap with "pro hunter" on it (the last one to make a joke in the beginning, which you will have regrets for for a loooong time).
It doesn´t matter how guns weapons look, as long as they are black and there is no wood on them.
Then the education begins and something happens, slowly but steadily, and you go to the exame as another person.
This education does something with you, it changes you and your thinking, the way you look at the world, at humans and at nature.
I don´t want to get too pathetic, but it definetely changed me.

I´ve read a report about an US Army vet, who has lost his path in life after several tours overseas.
He was then stationed in Germany and because he was struggling and searching for something he could get a hold onto, he decided to go "back" to hunting, what he did since he was a kid back home.
A German hunter then told him to make the hunting education and become a "German" hunter, what he did.
(As a German native speaker who had to bite hard to manage that, just this gets my highest respect.)
It widened hies view and he found something, which he could apply to and which changed his way of just seeing life and the world.
Respect for nature, respect for life and respect for other humans.

His name is Al Louangketh and he is a world wide hunting guide now, what I know, still living the spirit of the German hunt.
It gave a new sense to his life.

But what about me?
Well, I as a longterm sport shooter was making jokes about the Loden-Jockel in the past.
I was full of prejudices, judged them by their look as well, and got schooled in so many ways, I couldn´t have imagined.

My outfit slightly changed while I got the education, it became less colourful, green and brown was more and more coming.
Camo in the beginning, basecaps for sure.
But my wife surprised me to my one-year-anniversary as a "young hunter" with a hat from Loden.
Slowly I begin to take the hat more than the cap when I go to the woods, seeing some real pros over the cap for hunting.
Sometimes things which matured over centuries are not that dumb as we modern people think.

But to come finally to the end, there is a German saying:
"When I was 17, my dad was an old stubborn idiot which knew nothing about life or how the world runs.
When I was 37, I had to admit, that he was not always wrong.
When I was 57, my father died, and I must say, that he finally became a well-knowing, well-aware and reasonable guy."

What do you think, who the stubborn idiot was?

Sorry for the OT.

Last edited:
The bolt strip (seperating the bolt head from the rest) is a joke, toolless and done in seconds.

Strasser comes from Austria, not Germany.

For the "little featherhats" (OT):
Well, there is a lot of tradition in the "German" (Austria and Switzerland as well) hunt.
I´m anything but a traditionalist, coming from the sport shooting scene, having done IPSC and other dynamic shooting sports, I knew even before I went into hunting, that I never will be a "Loden-Jockel".
BUT, to get a hunting permission in Germany is not an easy thing (wo would have guessed), especially in the southern states (Baden-Württemberg and Bayern).
I f.e. had hunting education twice a week in the evening and almost every saturday for 10 months.
Wildlife biology (all wild fur and feather animals), hunting practice (wildlife cherish, loss prevention, traps, hunting ground running etc.), weaponry (knowledge, handling, laws, hot and cold weapons, optics, ballistics, shoot training), dogs (races, treatment, education, leading and searching), wildlife diseases, hunting laws.
You must have (here in Baden-Württemberg), at least 130 hours of education, in theory and practice, to get the permission for the exame.
Your leading instructor has to proof your ability for the exame to get there.
The exame has three parts, shooting exame, in written form and oral / practice (the last one being the hardest one).

And yes, there is a lot of knowledge and tradition, which formed over centuries.
The "polo/dressage set" honours their hunted animals, giving them their "last bite" and thanking them for their meat.
And it´s the hunter´s honour and duty to kill the animal as fast and as painless (humane if you want so) as possible, or, not to pull the trigger if he isn´t sure he can do so (letting the finger straight).

Long story short:
You start with combat boots, jeans, a colourful shirt and a basecap with "pro hunter" on it (the last one to make a joke in the beginning, which you will have regrets for for a loooong time).
It doesn´t matter how guns weapons look, as long as they are black and there is no wood on them.
Then the education begins and something happens, slowly but steadily, and you go to the exame as another person.
This education does something with you, it changes you and your thinking, the way you look at the world, at humans and at nature.
I don´t want to get too pathetic, but it definetely changed me.

I´ve read a report about an US Army vet, who has lost his path in life after several tours overseas.
He was then stationed in Germany and because he was struggling and searching for something he could get a hold onto, he decided to go "back" to hunting, what he did since he was a kid back home.
A German hunter then told him to make the hunting education and become a "German" hunter, what he did.
(As a German native speaker who had to bite hard to manage that, just this gets my highest respect.)
It widened hies view and he found something, which he could apply to and which changed his way of just seeing life and the world.
Respect for nature, respect for life and respect for other humans.

His name is Al Louangketh and he is a world wide hunting guide now, what I know, still living the spirit of the German hunt.
It gave a new sense to his life.

But what about me?
Well, I as a longterm sport shooter was making jokes about the Loden-Jockel in the past.
I was full of prejudices, judged them by their look as well, and got schooled in so many ways, I couldn´t have imagined.

My outfit slightly changed while I got the education, it became less colourful, green and brown was more and more coming.
Camo in the beginning, basecaps for sure.
But my wife surprised me to my one-year-anniversary as a "young hunter" with a hat from Loden.
Slowly I begin to take the hat more than the cap when I go to the woods, seeing some real pros over the cap for hunting.
Sometimes things which matured over centuries are not that dumb as we modern people think.

But to come finally to the end, there is a German saying:
"When I was 17, my dad was an old stubborn idiot which knew nothing about life or how the world runs.
When I was 37, I had to admit, that he was not always wrong.
When I was 57, my father died, and I must say, that he finally became a well-knowing, well-aware and reasonable guy."

What do you think, who the stubborn idiot was?

Sorry for the OT.
You know, this is one of the more educating posts I’ve read on this forum! I had no idea about the background behind some forms of German hunting.

The hunting education in Germany that you describe is much better and more thorough than what we have here in the States (or at least in Minnesota/North Dakota).

My boys completed their youth hunting education in two days, and while it wasn’t particularly easy, it pales in comparison to what you laid out.

By “basecap” I think you mean ball cap which comes from baseball cap.

I prefer a drivers cap, myself, but mesh-back ball caps are very handy when it’s 90°F/32.2°C. And while I would prefer an English hacking jacket when upland game hunting, I’m afraid I’d be laughed out of the field by my father, brother, and everyone else!

The story about that Native American fellow was touching. I can see how going through a long hunting course that connects you, the game, and the environment would help aid his healing.

I guess I had read somewhere that hunting in Germany is largely for the well-off, so I suppose that’s where my prejudices come from.

Apologies on the country of Strasser’s manufacture mixup…I knew it was Austria but the hat makes me think of Germany.

More later…

Last edited:
7nry5n.jpg

You know, this is one of the more enlightening posts I’ve read on this forum!

I guess I had read somewhere that hunting in Germany is largely for the well-off, so I suppose that’s where my prejudices come from.

Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

Well, it is and it is not.
It was very clearly in the past.
There was the "high hunt" (hohe Jagd) which included all hoove fur animals, except the casual deer, and the birds of prey.
Poachers were killed or executed after a trial.
The "lower hunt" (niedere Jagd) on all other animals was free for the inhabitants.
As German has a district-hunting-system there still are the terms high-wildlife-district and low-wildlife-district (Hochwildrevier und Niederwildrevier) which describes the animals there and is an indicator for the worth of that district.

In the peasant wars in 1525 one of the 12 articels, that the revolutionizers claimed was "free hunting and fishing".
But it lasted then until the German Revolution in 1848/49, that the aristocracy had to give up the privilige of the high hunt to all people.

Nowadays we have, like I said, a district-hunting system, meaning the right to hunt and the possesion of the wild animals belongs to the landowners.
One district is normally in one township and is limited up to 1.000 Hektar (approx. 405 acres).
The collective of the landowners in this district are leasing their right to hunt to an approved hunter for a negotiated amount.
If one of the landowners in the district is an approved hunter (with min. 3 years after the exame), he can take the hunt, or they can give it to anyone they like.
And it is not only about the money.
The hunting leaseholder has the right to hunt in this area, the animals in there are his, as well like everything from them like pushed off antlers etc..
But this comes with a price.
He must guarantee for the damages that wildlife animals cause in his district, especially in the agriculture aka harvest of all kind.
(And maybe soon for the damages from predators on farm animals, like from wolves or jackals. Not yet, those "big predators" are not allowed to hunt today, but those damages are rising and it is highly discussed right now.)

And not only that, the hunting leaseholder has other responsibilities as well, like fostering the wildlife animals.
A healthy and balanced wildlife population is his highest duty in his district, which can and will be controlled by the state.
So he is always between the chairs, if he hunts to less the damages will rise and he will have to pay more, if he hunts to much he may get penalties.
This sounds like a pita, and sometimes it is, but it is manageable if someone does his job.
In adversity (long hard winters, long hot summers) he has to take care as well, maybe feed or water the wild animals.

So, is hunting only for wealthy people?
No.
In a bigger district with many wildlife animals there is a lot work and hunting to do.
One man can´t do this alone.
So the hunting leaseholder takes other hunters in to help him.
In bigger districts on the landside this can be up to 6 or even more other hunters.
And the hunters over here, especially when they are experienced and good, are not humble but rather proud.
So the hunting leaseholder is the boss, but has to treat his "with-hunters" as colleagues or he will hardly find some.

My hunting leaseholder has a district of a bit more than 350 acres on the landside, and we are 5 hunters with him.
And as he knows the worth of one he treats him well, I would say we are comrades and have a nice little group.
Do I have to pay for it?
No, but this depends on the hunting leaseholder.
I can hunt when and what I want (as long as it is free by law) but must report my results and the animal is then still his which I can buy from him for a very fair prize.
Therefore I do some work in his district, like maintaining the highseats, duckhouses, wild-fields (fields with wildlife-friendly seeds), cutting shooting lanes and so on.
It is a win-win-situation for me, because I once was a builder-craftsman (master actually), can so still practice my craftmanship, be in the wild with my dog and go hunting.
Others don´t work at all and pay therefore a fair share, or it is a mix of both.

If I wanted so, I could lease a smaller district on my own, some are not that expensive, but hard to get mostly.
You have to have a name as a hunter under the landowners, who are eager to have a good hunter to hold their damages down, then it is much easier to get a lease.
The price differs very much, what animals are in that district, is it propper arranged, nice landscape, high or low damages, what agriculture is there, is there more woods, lakes or fields, etc., etc..
Some districts are very pricey, but there are districts (very less) as well where the landowners can´t find a leaseholder and so have to pay a hunter to do the hunt in their district (there must be a hunter at least in every district).

Well, that was a loooooot OT now, sorry again.
Maybe we should open another thread, if there is any interest in this.

Cheers.

I believe Frank owns an Anschutz straight pull.

@Lowlight and other people that own straight pulls, what do you think? Maybe Frank could get one in for T&E? I have heard zero about this Strasser 700-compatible action and only accidentally found it.

Sort of a pity if it would die on the vine.

Here’s what Strasser USA emailed me back:

Thanks for reaching out! We are now accepting orders for the RS700. An order from start to finish takes roughly 2 months to receive from the manufacturer in Austria.

(Ed – I had asked about how the RS 700 action is different than their other actions)
In terms of action, you can expect the same quality of smoothness. The overall look is every so slightly different in where the safety is.​
Best Regards,​
Strasser USA, LLC​
(334)-593-3833​

Even though it appears that their European web shop is closed for a while, obviously one can order this thing by calling/email the USA shop.

With an MSRP of $2,499.99 for the barreled action (includes the trigger), this isn't out of line for a typical high-end custom build. Damn, I kind of want one...

With an MSRP of $2,499.99 for the barreled action (includes the trigger), this isn't out of line for a typical high-end custom build. Damn, I kind of want one...

FWIW:

Stipulating that I've long been fascinated by straight-pull rifles, that I'm a lurking novice at the whole ambit these forums discuss, and that I've been taught "riflecraft" and gunhandling by some very knowledgeable folks, I have some thoughts. I've watched the videos above and paid attention to people on the ranges. I'm impressed that while some of the operators of conventional 60 and 90 degree bolt actions may be wickedly fast, their technique may be hindering them, even as quick as they are. More for the less well practiced, or less physically gifted. As well, the straight-pull riflists may not be using best technique.

I was taught bolt operation by the late Ikey Starks, who won at least one National High Power championship and at least one Wimbledon cup. He knew how to run a bolt-action under pressure. If I were to raise my head off the cheek weld to run the bolt, he would have kicking my butt, at least in his head. He maintained, as other shooters have to me, that a trained operator should be able to run a turn-bolt action with at most negligible break in position and no head movement. Some of the rifle handling in the videos has been, in my crotchety old fart's judgment, inefficient and at least suboptimal, especially in James Reeve's running target video.

Ikey used a technique I've never seen anyone else use: After post-shot followthrough, the thumb of the firing hand is cocked up as the wrist is cocked vertically and the fingers opened a bit out of the firing grip. With a fairly minimal movement of the wrist that doesn't move the forearm, nor dislodge the elbow, the bolt knob is addressed with a cup formed by the trigger and middle fingers, while the thumb catches the off side of the cocking piece. With that grip, there's leverage enough to open the bolt with a turn of the wrist up and then back, pivoting on the fixed forearm, in prone anchored by the elbow. The head doesn't move. At the end of bolt travel, the fingers engaging the bolt knob slip behind the bolt handle, putting the first finger knuckle on the knob, and the thumb moves behind the bolt shroud. Still no elbow shift. Fingers and thumb push the bolt forward into battery and the fingers, already behind and across the handle pivot down by movement at the wrist to lock it. With the thumb still up, the laterally bending wrist slides the fingers off the knob and downward, dropping them back onto the grip and allowing the thumb to reassume its functional position as the trigger finger interfaces with the trigger's blade, or moves into register if the firing string is done.

Sounds a bit complex and not utterly different to what some call the "Y hand" bolt operation. In practice, I think it's quickly intuitive, and faster and as certain as grasping the bolt's knob with thumb and fingers, because it uses grip strength between thumb and fingers to control the bolt. It relies on gross motor function, the goal of gun manipulation.

My point? It's pretty likely that many shottists in various disciplines have experimented with bolt manipulation, and that some are very facile, certain, and quick. But I think it's probable that it's never been investigated in a rigorous way, such as a sports scientifically minded investigator would do it. Further, straight-pull bolt biomechanics seem to be merely intuitive, not thought out, and reduced to grab, jerk, shove. Fortner action users in biathlon all have come to the same technique, running the bolt handle back with index and sometimes middle fingers, forward with them and mostly thumb (see https://fortner-waffen.de/en/). I'd think that one could run a Strasser S700 action similarly, since there's no bolt-shroud safety and given the apparent slickness of the bolt's movement, essentially a modification of Ikey's turn-bolt method.

I have some now-old dilettante's background in sports science, so I can see how to do the needful investigative work to answer the questions of what's demonstrably the best technique to operate a turn-bolt action, ditto a straight-pull bolt action, and whether there a substantive biomechanical difference between the two. Also to compare various straight-pull actions. I don't have the resources, nor the up-to-date detailed knowledge to do it. Perhaps someone here does, or knows someone who does. It's not necessarily idle thinking. In any time-pressured multiple shot or target engagement scenario, the quicker one can operate the bolt and do it with the least disturbance of rifle and position, the more time there is to refine the sight picture and trigger control. Fractions of seconds can make a difference in outcome. The British and Norwegian technique of holding the bolt with thumb and index finger and triggering with the middle one is quick, but the targets were/are large; trigger control doesn't seem all that precise.

And for that matter, YouTube is full of videos showing frantic, ungraceful magazine changes, giving me an impression: Defensive rifle and pistol gunhandling have had far more attention paid to them than has had precision (PRS, NRL) rifle use. Of course, maybe I'm full of...well...you know.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
FWIW:

Stipulating that I've long been fascinated by straight-pull rifles, that I'm a lurking novice at the whole ambit these forums discuss, and that I've been taught "riflecraft" and gunhandling by some very knowledgeable folks, I have some thoughts. I've watched the videos above and paid attention to people on the ranges. I'm impressed that while some of the operators of conventional 60 and 90 degree bolt actions may be wickedly fast, their technique may be hindering them, even as quick as they are. More for the less well practice, or less physically gifted. As well, the straight-pull riflists may not be using best technique.

I was taught bolt operation by the late Ikey Starks, who won at least one National High Power championship and at least one Wimbledon cup. He knew how to run a bolt-action under pressure. If I were to raise my head off the cheek weld to run the bolt, he would have kicking my butt, at least in his head. He maintained, as other shooters have to me, that a trained operator should be able to run a turn-bolt action with at most negligible break in position and no head movement. Some of the rifle handling in the videos has been, in my crotchety old fart's judgment, inefficient and at least suboptimal, especially in James Reeve's running target video.

Ikey used a technique I've never seen anyone else use: After post-shot followthrough, the thumb of the firing hand is cocked up as the wrist is cocked vertically and the fingers opened a bit out of the firing grip. With a fairly minimal movement of the wrist that doesn't move the forearm, nor dislodge the elbow, the bolt knob is addressed with a cup formed by the trigger and middle fingers, while the thumb catches the off side of the cocking piece. With that grip, there's leverage enough to open the bolt with a turn of the wrist up and then back, pivoting on the fixed forearm, in prone anchored by the elbow. The head doesn't move. At the end of bolt travel, the fingers engaging the bolt knob slip behind the bolt handle, putting the first finger knuckle on the knob, and the thumb moves behind the bolt shroud. Still no elbow shift. Fingers and thumb push the bolt forward into battery and the fingers, already behind and across the handle pivot down by movement at the wrist to lock it. With the thumb still up, the laterally bending wrist slides the fingers off the knob and downward, dropping them back onto the grip and allowing the thumb to reassume its functional position as the trigger finger interfaces with the trigger's blade, or moves into register if the firing string is done.

Sounds a bit complex and not utterly different to what some call the "Y hand" bolt operation. In practice, I think it's quickly intuitive, and faster and as certain as grasping the bolt's knob with thumb and fingers, because it uses grip strength between thumb and fingers to control the bolt. It relies on gross motor function, the goal of gun manipulation.

My point? It's that pretty likely that many shottists in various disciplines have experimented with bolt manipulation, and that some are very facile, certain, and quick. But I think it's probable that it's never been investigated in a rigorous way, such as a sports scientifically minded investigator would do it. Further, straight-pull bolt biomechanics seem to be merely intuitive, not thought out, and reduced to grab, jerk, shove. Fortner action users in biathlon all have come to the same technique, running the bolt handle back with index and sometimes middle fingers, forward with them and mostly thumb (see https://fortner-waffen.de/en/). I'd think that one could run a Strasser S700 action similarly, since there's no bolt-shroud safety and given the apparent slickness of the bolt's movement, essentially a modification of Ikey's turn-bolt method.

I have some now-old dilettante's background in sports science, so I can see how to do the needful investigative work to answer the questions of what's demonstrably the best technique to operate a turn-bolt action, ditto a straight-pull bolt action, and whether there a substantive biomechanical difference between the two. Also to compare various straight-pull actions. I don't have the resources, nor the up-to-date detailed knowledge to do it. Perhaps someone here does, or knows someone who does. It's not necessarily idle thinking. In any time-pressured multiple shot or target engagement scenario, the quicker one can operate the bolt and do it with the least disturbance of rifle and position, the more time there is to refine the sight picture and trigger control. Fractions of seconds can make a difference in outcome. The British and Norwegian technique of holding the bolt with thumb and index finger and triggering with the middle one is quick, but the targets were/are large; trigger control doesn't seem all that precise.

And for that matter, YouTube is full of videos showing frantic, ungraceful magazine changes, giving me an impression: Defensive rifle and pistol gunhandling have had far more attention paid to them than has had precision (PRS, NRL) rifle use. Of course, maybe I'm full of...well...you know.

Thoughts?
Thanks for sharing!

Your description of the opening of the bolt is basically the technique that overcomes the AI’s relatively heavy bolt lift and is discussed that big AI thread (among other places). I’ve never tried it on a Remington-style action and you add an interesting story about your mentor. 😎

I have a Browning straight-pull T-Bolt rimfire, and it requires quite more of an effort than the Fortner/Strasser. It seems to be optimized for offhand use and little varmint hunting (rimfire), where one would tend to come off the scope to see if they hit the blasted bugger if it ran (possibly wounded).

It’s a bear on the bench, but I figured out a less disruptive motion so I can keep my eye on the scope.

I imagine the nicer, smoother straight pulls have no problem on the bench.

My CZ 527’s almost require a thumb behind the bolt when picking up a round as they are sort of janky (but have other charms).

I suggest you take a number pics of your hand on your rifle to illustrate your descriptions. I would like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bart
I certainly appreciated my blaser's accuracy and loved the straight pull action....super interested in this, keep us posted, enormous!
Really liked the speed and lack of lateral movement due to the straight pull....
Once again, keep us posted!
Jordan

Reactions: carbonbased
Thanks for sharing!

Your description of the opening of the bolt is basically the technique that overcomes the AI’s relatively heavy bolt lift and is discussed that big AI thread (among other places). I’ve never tried it on a Remington-style action and you add an interesting story about your mentor. 😎

I have a Browning straight-pull T-Bolt rimfire, and it requires quite more of an effort than the Fortner/Strasser. It seems to be optimized for offhand use and little varmint hunting (rimfire), where one would tend to come off the scope to see if they hit the blasted bugger if it ran (possibly wounded).

It’s a bear on the bench, but I figured out a less disruptive motion so I can keep my eye on the scope.

I imagine the nicer, smoother straight pulls have no problem on the bench.

My CZ 527’s almost require a thumb behind the bolt when picking up a round as they are sort of janky (but have other charms).

I suggest you take a number pics of your hand on your rifle to illustrate your descriptions. I would like that.
I'll figure out how to place some pictures for you. Some stuff going on (life, y'know) may delay me a bit.

I'll figure out how to place some pictures for you. Some stuff going on (life, y'know) may delay me a bit.
I get it. The pro tip is take pics on your phone then click the “attach files” in the lower left to bulk upload. After that’s done, place the cursor in the text box where you want the pic to appear and place them one by one.

At that step, I believe there is also a bulk “place” of all of the pics as well.

The alternative is the little picture icon on the top of the text input box. That’s a one by one endeavor too, but maybe a little more intuitive.