• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Strategies for choice of scope/optic zeroing range

RobertM

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2011
Hawaii
Great reading through all the knowledge here in SH about scopes. Did a search but did not find a direct answer to my question.

I was trained on iron sighted M-14s almost 50 years ago. The doctrine then was a battle sight setting of 300 yds/meters. For better or worse, I still think that way.

Did a search with no definitive answer to my questions.

I am new to scope and holo sights, and intrigued as to what modern thinking is as to what "battle sight" range to zero the scope or optic to.

My take from what I read is most zero scopes to 100yds/m and dial in range corrections from there. Are there other range schemes, or is that pretty much the state of the art for tactical sight setting? I read some scopes have BCD type reticules for indicating holdover with no elevation turret changes. Might guess that would vary in usefulness with what round was in use, and inherent flatness of trajectory.

Same question for red dot holo type sights, though elevation cranking obviously cannot be done. I gather the quality sights will have elevation ques in the display for holdover. Most civilian stuff does not, seemingly binding them to less than 300m engagements?

No real experience with scopes or holo, so am wide open to thoughts on best deployment for both. My 60+ eyes are not up to iron sights so much these days, so I am bowing to the inevitable use of optics of some sort.

Re: Strategies for choice of scope/optic zeroing range

I think there are many facets to your question. First being, as you mentioned, What round are you using? A .308 has different handling characteristics versus a 50 BMG rifle...the 50 takes a few hundred yards to stabilize so a 100 yard zero probably isn't terribly helpful. Also, is this purely for tactical purposes? Or is this for paper punching and big game? If you're after purely tactical..Then I don't have much to offer.

I will say that my hunting rifles are zeroed according to my hunting environment. I generally hunt in the wide open spaces of Montana. Generally, depending on what round, I zero for 200-250 yards. This allows me a point of aim kill shot from 100 yards to 300+. I don't have to worry about dialing in my dope. Having said that, I would highly recommend that you invest in a good ballistics program. There are many out there...I happen to like Exbal. With the programs...as long as you have accurate data( BC, Velocity,environmental conditions etc.) you can pick your zero and print dope( adjustments for range and wind conditions.) I generally have a small swatch of dope taped to the butt of the rifle for quick reference.

Hope this helps. Again, if you're after purely tactical...I apologize. I'm just an aging varmint hunter / big game hunter. I did take a long range shooting course at a tactical school...the instructor did have us zero at 100....but I've never been a LEO or military ( Thanks for your service. )

Wayne

Iron/ holo battle sights, IMO, are just that...Battle sights. Meaning if the round hits the target, a man sized target that is most likely shooting back at you, good enough! The reason for the 300 yard zero on the 14 was it offered the best ballistic match for the round, same with the 5.56.
The reason zero my scope at 100, is that it offers me to have a really precise zero. And it is the shortest range I will most likely encounter with a rifle. That means everything else is up...So I am less likely to get lost on the dial or confused on whether to hold-over/under.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The reason zero my scope at 100, is that it offers me to have a really precise zero. And it is the shortest range I will most likely encounter with a rifle. That means everything else is up...</div></div>I like this, is sits well logically. I do tend to still think in a tactical frame of reference, never been a hunter or paper puncher much.

Been looking at .308 trajectories and zero ranges trying to glean some insight, and the 100 looks good, though I will need a brain adjustment. Actually works as a battle zero out to 200yds if 4" drop is acceptable just going for a hit.

Addendum, after a bit of thought. Given the inherent differences in field sighting, it would seem to make a lot of sense to keep the rifle set up with scope, or fixed/holo and not do much switching around. Gain proficiency and leave it alone.