• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Stream light or surefire

Wysongdog

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2012
Sorry if this has been posted before. Looking at putting a light on my glock. Trying to decide between surefire and streamlight. What’s everyone’s opinions?

I have both, and they work fine. Streamlight's value is undisputed, as it Surefire's durability.

Thanks to another thread here on the Hide, I was recently able to take advantage of this deal:

It's a big light, but well-suited to HD use.

Sorry if this has been posted before. Looking at putting a light on my glock. Trying to decide between surefire and streamlight. What’s everyone’s opinions?

If you can wait Cloud Defense is coming out with a new light that is going to be amazing.

rk5BhmN.jpg

ar07xh1.jpg

The comparison picture is an X300

I have both, and they work fine. Streamlight's value is undisputed, as it Surefire's durability.

Thanks to another thread here on the Hide, I was recently able to take advantage of this deal:

It's a big light, but well-suited to HD use.
🤣 was it a P320 thread?
I posted that and checked availability there before responding here, out of stock…

• Sad
Reactions: E. Bryant
I have the TLR-8 G on a glock and it’s awesome.
I have TLR-2 HL G on an AR and it’s great too just a little bigger.
Surefire have a better waterproof rating last I compared.

They both have their good and bad points. Both come from fine manufactures and both cater to two different markets. I think StreamLight has probably 3 times as many rechargeable's in their offering versus what SF has but again two different markets they cater to. They compete nicely with one another and probably on some occasions compliment one another. I don't have a SF in my collection yet but I probably will have one or two in the near future. I agree with the above comments one market being specialized and the other being more appealing to the public at large as an affordable Work/Utility Light.

I have both and I’ve had the TLR1 1,000 lumen for 8 years and it’s been a solid light with good battery life. You can’t beat the value on it. Honestly the main difference is the streamline is a lot shorter and the switches are way different. TLR has a nice smooth switch and the surefire has a very stiff switch but you can press the switch foreword and it ignites for momentary illumination. I’ve actually come to prefer that feature on the surefire a bit over the TLR the more I practice with it.

SF is all i ran for 8 months of no power after hurricane Maria…

Might try SL in the future but all i have at the moment is SF and can’t be happier with them.

For full sized guns: 300U-A all day long and twice on sunday. LOVE the switchology, have a DG on all. And also: holsters! If there's a holster made for light bearing, it's first made for that light. Light bearing holster on the exchange? 90% gonna be X300.

But I also have a TLR6 on the compact. Great light, no regrets and at that size, it's all but the standard so again, medium-easy to find holsters in stock for gun with that light.

Both good, think of your preferences for operation, and the whole system (batteries, holsters, etc)

For full sized guns: 300U-A all day long and twice on sunday. LOVE the switchology, have a DG on all. And also: holsters! If there's a holster made for light bearing, it's first made for that light. Light bearing holster on the exchange? 90% gonna be X300.

But I also have a TLR6 on the compact. Great light, no regrets and at that size, it's all but the standard so again, medium-easy to find holsters in stock for gun with that light.

Both good, think of your preferences for operation, and the whole system (batteries, holsters, etc)
What’s a DG? I’ve got all 300U-Bs if that matters.

My vote is for the Surefire.
My choice is due to wanting an open front suppressor holster for my Glock 21 & 36.

DG switch

DG-isoL__08290.1632251875.1280.1280-1000x1000.jpg

Replaces the rear cap with the same full switch functions plus a rigid tape that comes back, gives you a pad at the first finger. Not my gun, just a photo with an arrow:
ntKTeHTuoywdFFqkvZXjFHQNPFAGORzDHEFhkS2mQqIOI0RIdlUQe0-AnMze__95TV_JFtEObjYkxN3Mjh_SAQjF2oTGDamQAUjg8jyHOxQ-E31N771xivhdn44a

Mine are all in contact with the frame also, not raised up like this.

Grab the gun hard enough to fire in totally the natural position, light comes on. Yes, easy to draw without activating the light also so you don't have to "give yourself away" with it, but frankly, you are at handgun distances and about to make noise anyway so I love it. And all normal switches are still there if you want it always-on, the switch fails, or whatever.

Some holsters (Safariland) will be tight enough they will instantly destroy the switch. Use Extreme Caution when first inserting into a holster so you find out if you have to relieve it first because the whole thing is a unit, cannot repair or replace the tape switch part only.

Reactions: Mr. Z
I have been running a TRL-1 for a few years with no real issues. Works in the same Safariland holsters. I used it in a match last month and the light (and pistol) were under water probably 30 minutes throughout the match. Didn’t miss a beat, no fogging or drops, etc.

That said, I have noticed a tendency for the light switch to be a touch easy to turn on when or hit when you don’t need it. Not a huge deal but could be bad news if your white light in a dangerous situation.

Because of this I’m trying my first x300. Should be here next week. IMO 1000 lumens on a pistol light to be used indoors is overkill and can be counter productive but there are ways around this if need be.

In the end, if the x300 isn’t any better for my needs I’m only out an extra $150. Not the end of the world. It was actually a birthday present so it’ll be with me forever.

if you care about such things, the streamlight spec sheets will tell you where the products are made (not all here).

Reactions: Milf Dots
I have always used Streamlight but recently picked up an Inforce Wild that I am really starting to like.

Surefire for me, and yes they are pricey. I have run them on long guns (carbines shotguns), and pistols. They do not disappoint and are very durable. I’ve gone through various generations from incandescent to led, with very good results. My work versions have held up as advertised. Hope this helps.