• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Stretching" your traditional walnut/corncob tumbling media $$$

secondofangle2

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2017
    I know, I'm old-fashioned. But I've never seen the need or advantage to tumbling another way. My brass comes out very nice, with just the media and a squirt of Frankfort Arsenal polish I've had for many many years. I've generally been able to get 5-10 years out of a couple of bags of the walnut/corncob media, but had to replace it last year because it was so dirty.

I was astonished how much the price has increased, likely due to shipping costs. It's like $2/pound with shipping! But I sucked it up, got 2 bags of each, and resolved to make it last as long as I can.

I saw somewhere somebody said throw a dryer sheet in there. Well, our dryer doesn't accept dryer sheets (Miele), but on a whim I cut an old t-shirt into 4x4" sections and threw 4-5 of those in there.

And it works! The dirt/carbon sticks to the t-shirt and there is no longer a pile of black dust on the center pedestal of my vibratory case cleaner. (I used to vacuum this off to try to keep the media clean for longer.) I discard the dirty rags after each session (rather than wash them).

Just a tip for those Boomers among us who are still using traditional media for case cleaning.

I use rice, but it's a similar issue.

The dryer sheet tip is an interesting one.

Being an old geezer, I moved on from the corn cob/ walnut media yrs ago. The SS pins & wet tumbling is so much easier and better IMO.
    But you can obtain pet bedding at the local pet store as mentioned and save on shipping.
    Many including me have used the media reactive agents from various manufacturers to keep the media cleaning the cases.

Reactions: bpd459
    This stuff works well and is reasonable. You will have to search it in Amazon. I cant get the link to work. It’s about $10.00 for seven pounds.

amazon.com kaytee walnut bedding litter 5.2L

Last edited:
    Reactions: lash
    Harbor Freight has blasting media in 25 lb. boxes that is reasonably priced and works well!

Blasting media is the way, pours out of cases and flash holes like water so you don’t have to beat the shit out of your precision rifle brass (to get all the tumbling media out).

Reactions: secondofangle2
    great ideas guys thanks! The penny pincher in me will clean the blasting media with a t-shirt too

Reactions: lash
    Walnut fine grit Blasting media way cheaper you are welcome and will never get stuck in your flash holes... Thought everyone knew this! 🤣

Reactions: Gogga and Modoc