• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stripped ar15 grip screw

g3ninfinite

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Los Angeles County
Daniel defense grip removal goes sideways

Used correct size flathead
Screw head failed after going about 1 turn

Need the rifle up and running yesterday

What are my options?

Don't quite follow- did the screw head break off leaving exposed screw shank or is it flush with the receiver?
Did it break when you were removing it or reinstalling it?

If it broke and left a portion of the shank exposed I would try Kroil or similar, a bit of heat and either vise grips or weld a nut to the stub and slowly back it out.
If it is broken flush with the receiver your only choice is to drill it out.
The hole should be tapped all the way through the receiver, if so center up on the screw and mind the angle of the screw. The Kroil/penetrant again and slowly drill it out, stepping up in drill size as needed. With a little care you can drill it out to where you just barely see the root of the thread then pick out the remnants. You may get lucky and the bit will catch and spin the screw on through and out.
If the hole is not tapped all the way through you can drill it as above or go snag some left handed drill bits and hopefully it will back out.
I would not advise an "ezy-out" on a 1/4" diameter screw. Break it off in the screw and you will discover how expensive EDM work can be.
If it broke when you were reinstalling the screw it is likely cross-threaded. Back it out carefully. With a starting tap you should be able to catch good threads and chase it, if not run the tap in from the interior of the receiver.
1/4-28 TPI
If it is totally munged then Heli-Coils are your friend.
Good luck!

Last edited:
The flathead slot fail on First Time removal. THe head is still intact but the flat head slot is all munged up. i want to say they put lock tite in. Would WD40 loosen it?

Last edited:
put a soldering iron directly on the screw head to heat up the loctite, if you can still access the screw head with a different size flat head you may be able to remove it once the loctite is softened up

Cut grip off, heat up bolt with heat gun or soldering iron and back out with vice grips

Until it starts turning

Lock the vice grips on the busted bolt head, heat it up and start applying light steady pressure until the bolt starts turning

Word of advise, if any grip screw comes with loctite already applied, take a wire brush to it. It's not needed, I don't know why they do this.(Magpul)

I don't know why parts kits come with flat head grip screws in the first place? I always replace grip screws with a quality allen head fastener as they are commonly found at any hardware store for about $.50.

I don't know why parts kits come with flat head grip screws in the first place? I always replace grip screws with a quality allen head fastener as they are commonly found at any hardware store for about $.50.

Yes! I won't use the flat-head grip screws any longer after buying a few allen-head screws at DSG Arms and using them instead for installing grips.

+1

I use a hardened allen head bolt for my grips.