• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Stripped screw hole in 700 5R action

Hadwyn

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I was mounting a Badger base to my 700 5R when the process was derailed (no pun intended) by the front screw hole threading being stripped (the screw itself has no threading left and the threading on the action appears to have been affected). This is a new rifle, having its first scope mounted, so it was unexpected. Not quite sure what caused it but I can confirm it wasn't over-torqued as it took much less than 15 in-lbs for it to give way (the other three tightened fine to 15 with my Borka).

What are my options for fixing this so I can resume mounting the scope? Is there a reliable DIY solution (Loctite? Helicoil?) or is my best bet taking it to a gunsmith? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Get it drilled and tapped for 8-40 screws - problem solved. Most custom 700's have this done from the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get it drilled and tapped for 8-40 screws - problem solved. Most custom 700's have this done from the beginning.

Being from Phoenix as well, could you possibly recommend a gunsmith to do this? Thanks.

You bet. +1 for Phoenix Custom Rifles. Keith is a good guy.

Brownells has a tap and screws with oversize threads, its a little ass saver kit, used it once myself, look for it.

Brownells has a tap and screws with oversize threads, its a little ass saver kit, used it once myself, look for it.

Mind pointing me to exactly what you're referring to? Is it a drill bit? I don't have any heavy machinery (ie: drill press) so may not be able to complete that job myself.