• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stripped T3x CTR Scope Base Screws

winningsince1337

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2019
Hi guys I'm trying to swap the scope base on my new Tikka T3x CTR to a 20 MOA base. I got all but two screws out with the help of oil and a hairdryer. The last two (circled in red) are thoroughly stripped out. On the stop screw that's circled, I tried cross notching it with a dremel so I could use a flat head screw driver but that didn't work either. Since they're screws are tiny cap screws, I'm not sure one of those screw extractor kits would even work due to the lack of material. Any suggestions? I could drill them out and tap them but I'd rather not given it's brand new? Or should I just try and get a gunsmith to unfuck it?

NJvxsFo.jpg

Buy a new set of screws, and use a drill size just above the minor diameter to pop the head off of the shank. Often that will reduce tension in the threads enough that you can use some pliers to unscrew it once you’ve removed the scope base.

Barring that, more directed heat and kroil combined with less thread tension will be very helpful.

You need more heat than a hair dryer imo. A heat gun or small torch. But, since you already stripped them out, drill the screws HEADs with a barely larger bit than the diameter of the screws. Keep it centered and go very slow. The heads will pop off eventually and you should have enough screw threads showing assuming you went slow, to heat with a heat gun or small torch or a soldering tip and heat until you see some smoke. Grab very carefully but firmly with locking pliers and slowly unscrew. Shouldn't be too hard. Take your time and go slow.

Reactions: gnochi
I tired heating it with a propane torch but they were just too stripped for it to be any good. So I bit the bullet and dropped it off at my local gunsmith. Oh well. Thanks for the tips though, hopefully I don't need them in the near future ?