• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Strongest Lapua action

Xycod

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2005
Ms
Any one have a link to the action testing do untill failure on modern actions. Looking for whats the best(strongest) rem type and size action. Is a McM(MCRT) or BAT any stronger then a rem700, is a big Weatherby any stronger than a Rem700 or rem clone. I am looking at full loads and the long term. running 250s at 3150 from a 26 inch bbl or 225s at 3300. What can handle the warm loads better. Thanks.

Re: Strongest Lapua action

If you are looking for advice about strong/ big actions... Might try contacting "later" here on the hide... he seems to do the big crazy stuff....or crazy big:)
No-offense Later.

had you look at the badger m2008 action, they are a tank 3.7lbs on action alone.
and they have it on lapua action

my .002

Champlin rifle action. I've tested a couple of Champlin huntingrifles chambered for 340wea and 375H&H. By far the best US huntingrifles I've ever put my hands on.

Look at the Lawton big 8000 series 0r even the 8500.....It is doing pretty well with a 375 grain bullet at 3100 FPS.....on my Cheytac so the Lapua would be a drive in the park

Surgeon XL Im pretty sure is the strongest. Next would be the big Lawton

But any action should be strong enough. The brass will weld a action shut well before it will blow up.

I'd say either the Surgen XL or the big Lawton would be the best bet , but the Big Bat action would likely be the strongest due to its material ,the make their action out of 17-4 precipitation hardened SS , that shit is harder than woodpecker lips and tougher than a hogs nose

Don't know which one is the strongest, but I know that Accuracy International's actions are very much bomb proof.

yes the 8500 would be more then strong enough for the 338 lapua. it has a larger bolt OD at .75" and is made in CM or SS and hardened to the perfect hardness for durability and lack of brittleness.

PM "eddiebo" here , he has a Lawton 7000 I think it was that he SERIUOSLY over pressured with a 7mm-338 Lapua , I think the quickload data game somthing like 120,000+psi if memory serves.
The action heldup , if you had asked me what would happen with that load int hat size action I would have said "Grenade"

YUP them Lawtons are tough as hell....thank goodness.

Run this through quick load 105gr of 8208 pushing a 180 berger through a 31 inch barrel in a 7mm/338lapua. The first clue I had that anything was wrong was when the chrono read over 3600fps.

And that was not even an 8000 or 8500, just a 7000. I have checked out glowworms big medicine rifle and that action is pretty impressive.....I think I could run 140 grains of 8208 through that one.(That is just a joke....please no one try that)

What about the NZ Barnard P-Chey? Cant beat P for .308 full bore target and P-Chey is even bigger, made for 338. (They do even bigger one for 50 cal too)

Unless you just want to spend extra money, find a Sako TRG-S in .30-378 or .338 Lapua and go from there. Used ones likely under $900 Will take the Sako TRG42 magazine with only a minor modification.

If you are looking to push the .338Lapua to much faster velocities, then you need a different case. There are a number of .338 wildcats built on the .408 Chey-Tac. Maybe trim the belt off the .338/378wby and go from there? Lots of discussion on longrangehunting.com on these.

In discussion with guru-smith recently about max velocities for the .338 Lapua, his comment was that the Lapua factory cases were so hard that by the time you saw pressure signs, you'd likely do damage. I suggested using Hornady cases to get pressure signs from. Not really the solution though. If you want 3000fps with a 300gr bullet, you need a bigger case.

May as well buy a six-pack of Krieger barrels if you're running that velocity, get em all delivered chambered and ready. Maybe 500rds before you burn out the throat beyond all hope... But hey! Ain't we having fun!

I have a Lawton in a 338 lapua and the 375 would not buy any other action.
there extremly strong and very well made

Surgeons are nice but also COSTLY

17-4 is what a lot of customs use like bat, mcmillan, hs and others. Thats what I would like to know, are the rem clones, mainly the Mcbros action or the BAT RL repeater action any stronger or better at high pressure loads than a carbon rem 700. Many good smiths still don't like the rem700 for a lapua. Never tried one (m700) personally with a lapua but if they are just as strong and safe as a bat,mcbros,stiller and such I'de just as soon go with a remmy. BTW I am doing a light(10 lbs or less) hunting gun.

The TRG-s actions are fine. I just got mine re-barreled for the third time. I bought mine new for 675 around 12 years ago.

Well since you looking for a rem style action I have been using the Lawton 7000. I also specify most of my barrels have a oversized shank. Min I would go is 1.250 but most are 1.3. A few of them are even 1.350 although those are hard to make work some of the time becasue I have to use a oversized recoil lug and so far Seekins is about the only one out there that makes a 1.350 lug that I've found.

The Holland lugs I used several years ago were 1.350" , but Glen's lugs are great. I realy ike the way the barrel lug and reciever all have the same conture. May take a very little work with a file but after its blasted it can all look like one piece.

Like it was mentioned before unless your gonna get realy stupid with the pressures then the Rem 700 sould handel the 338 Lapua fine , if I were going to do it on the Rem action though I'd use a coned bolt from PT&G as the lugs would be a little bit thicker as as RWS stated go with a 1.35" barrel shank

I just picked up a TRGS in 30.378 to convert to 338 Lapua. Any suggestions or lessons learned would be great from anyone.

Thanks in advance

Dave

I just finished a 338 Lapua using a Lawton 8500 action. The action is great, very reasonably priced and will probably last longer than all of us put together, even shooting heavy (300gr)loads. My issues were with Lawton's customer service. First, I was told that the entire action was SS. Surprise, the bolt was CM. Secondly, the standard fluting on the bolt looks nothing like the picture on their website. It is very shallow and almost not worth having. Finally, the standard bolt handle is a plain ball, not the jewelled handle on the website. You can get better fluting and a fancy bolt handle, but those items are extra $$$. If you can live with those minor disappointments then you will get a very good, long-lasting action from Lawton. If Lawton gets their customer service s*** together, they may be top of the heap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say either the Surgen XL or the big Lawton would be the best bet , but the Big Bat action would likely be the strongest due to its material ,the make their action out of 17-4 precipitation hardened SS , that shit is harder than woodpecker lips and tougher than a hogs nose </div></div>

Gotta love that description.Quite the analogy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brians708</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking for advice about strong/ big actions... Might try contacting "later" here on the hide... he seems to do the big crazy stuff....or crazy big:)
No-offense Later.
</div></div>

Now why we gotta pick on the guy that likes'em big LMAO??