• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Strudy Gun Safes

ronas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Charleston, South Carolina
Anybody have a Sturdy Gun Safe? Link below. I've been looking for a while and just about every company I've dealt with seems to me to be more interested in flashy marketing and giving me less that full representations of there products unless I kind of push them, than in building a nice safe at a decent price.

I'm seriously considering the 72"x36"x27" model with fire protection.

http://www.sturdysafe.com/gaugethicknesswar.htm

Re: Strudy Gun Safes

They're local to me. You pay for the steel and quality. Thats their sell point and whats kept them in business for a long time. Yeah...not too purdy to look at if you're in to the paint jobs vs. solid security. No bullshit salesman crap either. My experience with them has been great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You pay for the steel and quality. Thats their sell point and whats kept them in business for a long time. Yeah...not too purdy to look at if you're in to the paint jobs vs. solid security. No bullshit salesman crap either. My experience with them has been great.</div></div>

That is the impression I got from speaking with Terry, a co-owner. It seems like this safe selling business is a lot of smoke and mirrors. Terry answered my questions and when I asked him why the way he did something was better than let's say "Brand X" he had well reasoned and satisfactory answers.

I live on the east coast and with him being on the west coast shipping is not cheap. Unfortunately, at least for me it seem like almost all safes are made in Utah, or Calif.

I have the 3627-6 non-fire, great safe - there is a thread on that other site under Armory and Safes. Lot of people really like the Sturdy - I agree with others, you are paying for the steel not the glamour. They are straight forward good people to work with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You pay for the steel and quality. Thats their sell point and whats kept them in business for a long time. Yeah...not too purdy to look at if you're in to the paint jobs vs. solid security. No bullshit salesman crap either. My experience with them has been great.</div></div>

That is the impression I got from speaking with Terry, a co-owner. It seems like this safe selling business is a lot of smoke and mirrors. Terry answered my questions and when I asked him why the way he did something was better than let's say "Brand X" he had well reasoned and satisfactory answers.

I live on the east coast and with him being on the west coast shipping is not cheap. Unfortunately, at least for me it seem like almost all safes are made in Utah, or Calif.</div></div>

I have been wanting a Sturdy for some time and I am also in SC. The prices listed on the web site include shipping. Do they offer discounts for those who are not on the east coast?
Any discount if we go in together?

The prices on the Sturdy website are their maximum price - call them at get a quote that is specific to your destination. No additional discounts - BUT, they do have fantastic prices on scratch/dent safes that they have corrected, and they do place safes on sale if their inventory is higher than they have room to store, they also do special runs of a gage lighter steel.

Point is, call them!

Another thing about about Sturdy Safes, they'll build you one in a custom size for you, perfect fit going into existing cabinets

I have the 32x24x60 safe with fireliner ( if sheetrock is a good insulator why isn't it used in a kitchen oven ). Most gunsafes are just secure cabnets, the Sturdy is a no frills safe that I think would be impossable to get into with out a friction saw or plasma cutter, ect. Wish I had gotten a bigger one.

How does the Sturdy safe compare to the Liberty safe? To be honest, I have never heard of a Sturdy safe until this post. Just looking for honest no BS comparison.

Terry is great to deal with, and his product is great. I waited for them to start a special run, and had him make me a custom size. By waiting for this run, he bent the custom size from 1 piece of steel, like the normal ones, instead of just modifying an existing one. Call and talk to him, he is very easy to talk to, and very up front about everything. I inquired online, and he called me the very next day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the Sturdy safe compare to the Liberty safe? To be honest, I have never heard of a Sturdy safe until this post. Just looking for honest no BS comparison.</div></div>

I was seriously considering the Liberty Lincoln model, but moved on. I found it helpful to compare how the different brands of safes were made as well as the materials used. For example in the Liberty Lincoln they use 11 gauge metal, that's 2.30mm. In the Sturdy they use 7 gauge metal, that's 3.66mm. That means the Sturdy has a safe body that is 37% thicker than the Liberty. Study also has upgrades where you can add more steel to various places in the safe.

You might want to review some of the you tube vids that Sturdy has on their website.

I'm no expert and I'm not going to badmouth any brand safe. I will only say that I think the Sturdy safes are better built and designed from what I have been able to determine.

I spent quite a bit of time on the sturdysafe site: thanks for this post! Their discussion of fire protection is spot on and most safes have sheet rock for fire protection. I wish I knew about sturdy safe when I bought my safe....darn it.

Watch this video from Graffunder safes. They crack a $1,000 "premium" safe in under 2 minutes with two guys and no power tools. Shooter friend of mine bought a Graffunder and really changed my mind on going cheap on a safe. Fire protection is also a big consideration.

http://www.graffundersafes.com/gallery.html

Normally I would not post a link to another site, but all my pictures are over there. Let me know if you have any picture requests - I cried when I bought it, but I'm certainly happy that I have it, no regrets other than I wish this was the first safe that I bought.

Sturdy 3627-6 Project

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sturdy Safe 3627-6 No-Fire

36w 27d 72h 875 pounds without fire protection </div></div>

Quote above is from the thread you linked to. It is correct as far as model and dimensions? I ask because link says 3227-6.

I'm interested in the 36w 27d 72h whatever the model number may be.

If your safe is without fire protection, then I assume they done line it with the other 14 or whatever gauge metal; is that right.

What does the inside of the door look like? Didn't see any photos on the other website you linked to. Do you have any photos of the inside of the door?

Im more worried about someone making entry into a safe rather than a 1500deg for 90min fire protection. My brother has been a fire fighter for over 20 years. He said that unless a house is fully involved, and the safe is in the middle of the house like the living room, then yea, you would need the fire protection because there is more "fuel" in the middle of the house. Alot of my friends have their safes in a room up against a wall where there is nothing around it. Im no engineer, but if I were to guess, I would say that the temp in the corner of a house will NOT get to over 1000deg, even if fully involved. There are fire departments within 5 miles of where I live. So at the most, you are looking at about a 10min response time until the fire department can get water on it. Even if your house is a total loss, you can always tell the fire department where you have the safe located, and they will keep water on it.

I guess there are pros and cons when it comes to buying a safe. Everyone has their opinion on what they "want" verus what they "need". Best advise is to read on the internet, talk to as mant companies as you can and go from there. But by all means, dont buy a safe from Walmart LOL.. AND when you do get your safe, BOLT IT DOWN TO THE CONCRETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats why you bolt your shit down to the concrete! I want to see a video where a safe is bolted down, and watch 2 guys try to get into it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pbtexas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watch this video from Graffunder safes. They crack a $1,000 "premium" safe in under 2 minutes with two guys and no power tools. Shooter friend of mine bought a Graffunder and really changed my mind on going cheap on a safe. Fire protection is also a big consideration.

http://www.graffundersafes.com/gallery.html </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats why you bolt your shit down to the concrete! I want to see a video where a safe is bolted down, and watch 2 guys try to get into it..</div></div>

That's very true. However on the Strudy website they have vids of guys trying to break into safe lay on back too, also have vids of forlifts trying to open door.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the Sturdy safe compare to the Liberty safe? To be honest, I have never heard of a Sturdy safe until this post. Just looking for honest no BS comparison.</div></div>

I was seriously considering the Liberty Lincoln model, but moved on. I found it helpful to compare how the different brands of safes were made as well as the materials used. For example in the Liberty Lincoln they use 11 gauge metal, that's 2.30mm. In the Sturdy they use 7 gauge metal, that's 3.66mm. That means the Sturdy has a safe body that is 37% thicker than the Liberty. Study also has upgrades where you can add more steel to various places in the safe.

You might want to review some of the you tube vids that Sturdy has on their website.

I'm no expert and I'm not going to badmouth any brand safe. I will only say that I think the Sturdy safes are better built and designed from what I have been able to determine. </div></div>

My Srurdy is fire lined. The body is 7 ga. then they add fire lining which is followed by a 14 ga. inner lining standard. I had Terry upgrade my inner liner to 10ga., so mine is a 10 ga. within a 7 ga. Got to be a little tougher.

I have a Sturdy as well. It won't win any beauty contests but you get a whole lot of safe for the money. I spent about a half hour on the phone with Terry before purchasing and he answered all my questions with very thorough explanations and even talked me OUT of two upgrades as they were overkill, even for commercial purposes (he knew I would be using this safe as an 01/03).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Link corrected, thanks.

The 36x27 x72 No Fire actually does not have a lining. The 7 gage shell is it, so you have lots of room.</div></div>

Why did you go without the fire lining?

I'm considering no fire liner too. From what I'v read I question their effectiveness. It seems there are very few safes which have actually fire ratings, and sthe standards for giving rating, in many cases, is whatever safe company says they are.

Not trying to put down anyones safe but I have a Liberty and a Champion that I really like alot. If I had to choose one over the other, it would be the Cahmpion. I really like their features. Mine is the Crown 50 model and now they have a larger one available. I need about three more the same size as my other two but funding is always a problem (yeah, I know that hind sight is 20/20. When I get the ones stolen that are not in safes, I will wish I had sold some toys or took out a loan and bought what I need!). I will check into the other two manufacturers that have been mentioned. Thanks for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Link corrected, thanks.

The 36x27 x72 No Fire actually does not have a lining. The 7 gage shell is it, so you have lots of room.</div></div>

Why did you go without the fire lining?

I'm considering no fire liner too. From what I'v read I question their effectiveness. It seems there are very few safes which have actually fire ratings, and sthe standards for giving rating, in many cases, is whatever safe company says they are. </div></div>

Budget was for security and size, far more concerned about the local druggies than I am a fire. Also, my requirements upon the interior dimensions for the radio were part of the overall criteria.