• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

struggling to find data for .270. Please help!

ridein4life

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
Graham WA
Im loading my Nephews .270win so he can get some range time with me and im looking for data for the Sierra GameKing 140gr HPBT using Varget. Hodgdons offers data online but its for the 140gr SFT SP witch has a significant higher BC, So im not sure this data would be ok to try and use. Any help or recipes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
You should be safe at 47 grains, and find decent accuracy there. Load one shell at 45, another at 46, and if they show no pressure signs, try a group at 47.0 grains of Varget and see how things look. I'd use magnum primers to help with the low density powder charge. The load should work, and be a good all around hunting load.

You're vastly over agonizing the issue, all reloading data is basically generic by powder type and bullet weight. Differences between the guns and case, powder and primer lots easily exceed any slight differences bullets may make.

Hello, if information about the 270Win. cartridge is what your looking for, look no further than the name Jack O' Conner. This man is a legend and has probably taken more game with the 270Win. than anyone on earth. He was the Shooting Editor for Outdoor Life magazine back during it's hay days. His favorite load was with 4831. You will not ever go wrong with 4831 of any brand with this cartridge. For 140gr. bullets try IMR 4831 working up to 54 grains of powder. That will be around 85% load density and is what I use in my old Ruger 77 Stainless All-Weather, bought back in 91-92. It will be hard to beat that load for accuracy with any 140gr. bullet. You should easily get 2,900fps with that load. Approach that load starting at 51grs. and work up in 1gr. intervals. If 54 grains shows no pressure signs and you want more velocity, start going up .3-.4 from here to be safe. Also buy Lapua or Nosler brass and even Norma, for it will provide longer life and a stronger base to work with. "It all starts with brass." With H4831 you will have to use a higher charge weight to obtain the same velocity, but it is a super substitute. You will not go wrong with this choice of IMR 4831, promise. Always work up slowly I may add. Thanks, BullyDog

By the way 140gr. bullets are my favorite in the 270Win. It gives you the velocity and flat "shootingness" of a 270, with a little 30-06 knock down power. ;)
Im loading my Nephews .270win so he can get some range time with me and im looking for data for the Sierra GameKing 140gr HPBT using Varget. Hodgdons offers data online but its for the 140gr SBT witch has a significant higher BC, So im not sure this data would be ok to try and use. Any help or recipes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You should be safe at 47 grains, and find decent accuracy there. Load one shell at 45, another at 46, and if they show no pressure signs, try a group at 47.0 grains of Varget and see how things look. I'd use magnum primers to help with the low density powder charge. The load should work, and be a good all around hunting load.

Dan that seems high. The Hodgdons data that I referenced on the 140gr SFT load has a max load of 43.7gr of Varget, and a start load of 41grs.

I don't know where you found that data... but you do have to go with your instincts here. :)

Hodgdon publishes (on their webpage) a max of 46 grains of 4064 with 140's, and Varget is in that burn range (a tiny bit slower, normally, and can usually be loaded a tad hotter than 4064).

Jack O'Conner (reference earlier by another member here) used 49 grains of IMR 4064 and 130's for an accuracy load. That's over max, for sure... but so were some of his H4831 recipes. But they did work.

Hodgdon shows 47.3 grains of IMR 4064 as max with the 135 grain Sierra Matchking.

Again, IMR 4064 and Varget burn nearly the same, with Varget being a tiny bit slower...

If you work up to your targeted charge weight, you'll be safe. I would not expect to see pressure problems in Winchester or RP brass in anything other than a tight chambered Savage, but do be careful, whatever you decide to do.

I don't know where you found that data... but you do have to go with your instincts here. :)

Hodgdon publishes (on their webpage) a max of 46 grains of 4064 with 140's, and Varget is in that burn range (a tiny bit slower, normally, and can usually be loaded a tad hotter than 4064).

Jack O'Conner (reference earlier by another member here) used 49 grains of IMR 4064 and 130's for an accuracy load. That's over max, for sure... but so were some of his H4831 recipes. But they did work.

Hodgdon shows 47.3 grains of IMR 4064 as max with the 135 grain Sierra Matchking.

Again, IMR 4064 and Varget burn nearly the same, with Varget being a tiny bit slower...

If you work up to your targeted charge weight, you'll be safe. I would not expect to see pressure problems in Winchester or RP brass in anything other than a tight chambered Savage, but do be careful, whatever you decide to do.

I found it on Hodgdons website. That's what they published using Varget with a 140gr bullet. I don't know burn rates yet as I'm fairly new to reloading. So I guess I'm just curious if the rate matches what your saying why they publish Varget so much lower?

You will see that quite often, for sure. I would guess they shot that data when Varget was relatively new, and they wanted to be more conservative. They go the other way at times, too, as with the IMR powders in the 308 win (the 4895 and 4064 maximums are way too hot).

Look at Hodgdon's data for the 150 grain bullets in the 270... 45 grains as max with 4064, and 44.5 with 4895! :eek: Wow... that probably is very hot. But their Varget data that you referenced (and I did find it after you mentioned it) is odd, and suspect.

If you must use Varget, just proceed with caution. There are better powders for the 270, especially with the 140 grain bullets, as I'm sure you know. I do think the Varget will work though.

Dan

H4831 is my go-to powder for heavy bullets in the .270; always had good results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A 270W, classic mule deer cartridge with 130 grain bullets and IMR4831 always worked well, H4831 even better. I never needed 140 grain bullets, but whatever? Selection is a lot better @130 grain. You need to carefully watch the OAL and trim necks when needed. Count on it. BB