• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes stubby scope comparison

isaacspoon

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2018
Hey all,

I am putting together a hunting AR (6.5g) and I am searching for a medium high end scope ($1k used or less roughly). The stbby scopes I have found so far are:

-Bushnell HDMR
-Sig Tango 6
-Burris XTRii
-Eotech Vudu
-open to other stubby scopes.

With the scopes listed above, you get an idea of the general quality and style of scope i want. I have a lead on a bushnell HDMR local for $850 i might jump on, but figured i would ask the opinion of other hide members. all input is appreciated, and suggestions of other optics are welcome.

The Bushnell DMR/HDMR is one of my all time favorite scopes for the $. I have owned a small truck load of them over the years and they have all tracked 100%, the G2 reticle is excellent, they correct parallax down to 50 yards, and the optical quality is completely serviceable. I am saying this having owned and still own many top tier scopes. I seem to always have a DMR sitting in the corner just in case. The only complaint I have is they are low rev turrets and you have to go old school and remember to count baselines. But that is really not a big deal.

I always go for the DMR scopes. FYI there have been a few listed here in the PX for under $800 the last week or so...

Reactions: isaacspoon
The Bushnell DMR/HDMR is one of my all time favorite scopes for the $. I have owned a small truck load of them over the years and they have all tracked 100%, the G2 reticle is excellent, they correct parallax down to 50 yards, and the optical quality is completely serviceable. I am saying this having owned and still own many top tier scopes. I seem to always have a DMR sitting in the corner just in case. The only complaint I have is they are low rev turrets and you have to go old school and remember to count baselines. But that is really not a big deal.

I always go for the DMR scopes. FYI there have been a few listed here in the PX for under $800 the last week or so...
i have a few higher tier scopes as well, but i have always been drawn to the hdmr. i think i am going to get the local one. seems 850 isnt a screaming deal, but a good deal to be had for the quality.

Leopold Mark 5 3-18? Might be a little high on price though.

There’s also the nightforce SHV in that price point but it’s not exactly as stubby as the rest

Leopold Mark 5 3-18? Might be a little high on price though.

There’s also the nightforce SHV in that price point but it’s not exactly as stubby as the rest
I would love a mark 5 and that’s the scope that actually got me looking at these other options. But it is a bit higher than I’m trying to spend. I have almost pulled the trigger a few times on one, but being that it’s for a Grendel (1000yds is all I would need it for, even though I could easy throw it on another rifle in the future) and I could get one that will do almost as good of a job for several hundred dollars cheaper.

I would love a mark 5 and that’s the scope that actually got me looking at these other options. But it is a bit higher than I’m trying to spend. I have almost pulled the trigger a few times on one, but being that it’s for a Grendel (1000yds is all I would need it for, even though I could easy throw it on another rifle in the future) and I could get one that will do almost as good of a job for several hundred dollars cheaper.

Yeah I’ve never owned a mark 5 but looked through a bunch and I like them a lot. I think the Bushnell HDMR seems like a sweet scope although I’ve never actually looked through one. Heard lots of good things about the Bushnell

I have the Vudu and I’ve owned the Bushy.
I love the Vudu and I love the MD3 ret

The DMR/HDMR is an outdated model. The Eotech was made to compete in the price range it occupied before the scope feature race took off a few years ago. The Tango 6 was built to compete in the 2k price range with Razor and others. The Sig and Burris are not short, small, or light. Is the DMR a short scope? I don't remember mine being very short.

The Athlon Ares 2.5-15 or 4.5-27 is smallish and light. So is the LRHS/LRTS. As is the Nikon FX1000. Those would seem to me proportionately sized scopes to the rifle it would be going on.

The Athlon Ares 2.5-15 or 4.5-27 is smallish and light.

I have an ares etr on another rifle and i dont think its considered a stubby, however i do love that scope... actually more than i like my gen2 razor, but i wouldnt wonsider it a stubby scope

As is the Nikon FX1000.

I dont know much about the FX1000 but based on pics online being on an ar15, it looks like an average length scope.

I prefer the Vudu. It is feature rich and very easy to get behind. I just ordered another one for my long range gasser
you think the vudu is worth an extra 50% of the cost versus the HDMR?

I like my nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42 compact a lot and they can be had in your price range if you're patient.

I like my nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42 compact a lot and they can be had in your price range if you're patient.
i was hoping for at least 14x magnification... even though it is not needed to shoot the max distances the cartridge can shoot. Just a personal preference

you think the vudu is worth an extra 50% of the cost versus the HDMR?

I bought my 2nd Vudu brand new for $1200. Just be patient and look around for deals. There were several used ones in the sale section that were @1300 I believe.
For $1800, I would stick with the Bushy and make due with what it offers. But for
$12-1300, I’d go Vudu every day of the week.

Isn't nightforce expanding the NX8 line? Maybe just a rumor, there's only the 1-8 right now but if they release a 2.5-20 it should be pretty awesome.

I have a Leopold LRP 4.5-14x coming later this week for my AR10 6.5 CM. Read alot of good reviews on the LRP line so hopefully it pans out. The size and weight were big factors for me. We'll see if the glass is as good as I've read.

I decided to go with a vudu 5-25 h59, I pick it up on friday and plan to do a box to bench test to verify tracking. It's going on a 6.5 grendel. I will post pics once it is mounted.