• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stuck Cartridges

rawdeal77

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
Dallas & Lubbock, Tx
I have a White Oaks Armament upper (223), and I was doing some plinking with Wolf poly coats, when I experienced a stuck cartridge.

It was stuck to the extent I had to use penetrating oil and a barrel rod/rubber mallet to get it out.

I super-cleaned the gun barrel chamber etc. Then, the very next shot I fired through it (also Wolf poly-coat), another stuck cartridge.

I've shot a couple of hundred rounds of the wolf through this thing with no problem.

Any ideas what's causing the sudden issue?

Re: Stuck Cartridges

I've shot close to a thousand or so rounds of wolf poly through my White Oak.

It sounds like it needs to be trouble shot by a gunsmith.

I would probably take a dowel rod with a slit in the ebd and wrap some emry cloth around it and polish it up a bit with a cordless drill; assuming there is no problem with the lockup, timming, gas sys, etc.

Sometimes you can get a build up of that poly coating in your chamber. You might have to take a chamber brush to it. If it has build up in it. This happened to an Olympic plinker I had.

Do not take emery cloth to your chamber! Your chamber is just too tight to shoot the Wolf. Shoot brass and just forget about the steel ammo. Some guns run fine on it, others not so good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomme boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do not take emery cloth to your chamber! Your chamber is just too tight to shoot the Wolf. Shoot brass and just forget about the steel ammo. Some guns run fine on it, others not so good.</div></div>

You would be surprised who did this if I told you.
smile.gif

Had that happen once with a Rock Rivers, shooting wolf poly ammo. I figured it was from getting to hot and making the poly stick in the chamber. After that and a good amount of cleaning I was able to remove all the poly. I do not shoot Wolf ammo anymore or anything else with the poly coating. Lot other options for cheap Ammo like PMC, or even the Lake City stuff.

Here's the deal. This case that got stuck was the very first round fired after I put the chamber through a thorough cleaning (e.g., chamber brush/drill, chamber mop, I even took the scraper tool from my Otis kit to get rid of every trace of the "poly" build up-at least every trace I could see without a bore scope).

Also, I just re-did the gas system with a new block and tube, so it's highly unlikely this is the issue.

I can't figure out why this thing use to gobble up shitty Russian ammo, and now the last two consecutive rounds have produced stuck catrIdges. Also note that ammo was from two different lots, so it also probably not the result of a bad batch.

Any other ideas?

Is there a certain place where I should be looking for buildup?

Somebody suggested in a previous post to take it to the gunsmith, but what is he going to do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rawdeal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This case that got stuck was the very first round fired after I put the chamber through a thorough cleaning.</div></div>
Make sure that the chamber is dry.
It is possible that whatever solvent you are using is acting on the lacquered cases.
Even small amounts could be enough to make the lacquer tacky.

Other than that, if they have worked previously and are no longer working, either the gun changed or the ammo changed.
Examine the chamber for lacquer build up and damage.
Examine the ammo for changes in lacquer and dimension.

With a barrel that has a tight chamber such as a White Oak, as previously stated, using lacquered ammo is a common source of problems.