• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stuck case

Hasgun Willtravel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Ionia County, MI
I was shooting my old Swedish Mauser, and had some ammo, that was neck sized only fired out of a different Swede. The bolt close was stiff, and I knew that I shouldnt have forced it, but I did, and I new I shouldnt have.

Well, after firing, its stuck, and its stuck good.

Tried the conventions wooden dowel technique, and it is undersized for the brore, however, upon beating the piss out of it, and breaking the dowel many times, I now estimate, I have about 5-7 chunks of dowel in the bore, that I can not get out.

Will a stuck case remover take this out? Whats the next step? Bring it to a smith?

Re: Stuck case

Pull the barrel and try a stuck case removal tool.

You’re being punished by god for being a southerner living up north.
wink.gif

A stuck case remover may work . However after that explanation I think it is better to take it to a smith.
Getting out a stuck fired case is very easy.
You don't use wooden dowels thats crap. You get a steel rod that the diameter goes inside the case neck and up against the solid web of the case. Make it long enough to stick out the muzzel enough to eject the length of the case. Then with a hammer wack the rod and the case will eject. The steel rod will not hurt your bore its only sitting in the bore not being fired down the bore . I have done it for other people quite a few times. Even cut rods of steel out of farm gates to eject stuck fired cases.
If you have a lathe then you can make a rod that is turned down at the chamber end to go inside the case but leave the rest of the rod so it just fits inside the bore . This works even better as it stops flexing of the rod in the bore as you wack it.
Most of the time it only tacks a few light wacks and its out.

i will give that a wack, I was looking for a drill bit long enough to tap the brass, and try threading a long peice of threaded bolt, and try to make something similiar to a body dent puller, could not find the drill bit long enough today, will keep looking.

I am not sure if I should try putting anything else down that barrel, I am sure that the dowels that are in there are compressed tighter than shit in the bore, and am sure that I am going to have to work from the other end now.

Debating on purchasing a action wrench and barrel vice.

The winds of shit are blowing.

My vote is for the stuck case removal tool, especially if you think there is objects in your barrel/bore. That is what I would try. Good luck. -Dan

Dan its a stuck case, why spend that money when there are tools out there to combat these problems? If it were a live round stuck in the chamber it would be a different story, id agree take it to a professional. Buts its a case, no need to waste that money

yeah dan, I am not near as hillbilly as all that sounds, at least its wood dowel in there, and not bent cleaning rod.
No harm has been done to the bore, unless that shit white pine dowel is hurting the bore....doubt it.

Anyways, a hide member is sending me the right tools that I need to get this taken care of....hopefully.