• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stuck cleaning rod

Alderleet

NCOIC of Shitposts
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Downrange
Well, today I took my new rifle out to the range.

I was doing a simple break in, (1 shot, patch clean the bore, rinse/repeat)

anyway, I got to shot 5.
Thats when all hell broke loose.

So there I was, putting a patch on the jag, and putting a little windex on to remove fouling/residue. I slip the cleaning rod in, and it gets difficult halfway down the barrel. I cant pull it back, so i figure i'll just tap it out with a mallet and the patch will fall out the end.

NOPE.

Jag comes out, no patch to be found, and now the rod wont go anywhere.

I start pulling back on it, trying to see if it'll go the other direction. After mustering hte strength of me and several other range-goers, i get it to the final 1/4 of hte barrel. Home free, or so I thought.

Then to my disappointment, the *TIPTON* 1 piece rod decides to shit the bed, and the handle snaps off.

Great!, i've got a jagged ass piece of carbon fiber lodged in my barrel, and i look like a retard infront of all the onlookers around my bench.

I dropped my rifle at my gunsmiths office, and had a lot of curious "WTF" faces from people there...

Its days like today, that i realize god has a sense of humor. Also, fuck Tipton 1 piece carbon fiber rods. Never again.

Anyway, has this happened to anyone else?

Re: Stuck cleaning rod

so you <span style="font-style: italic">tapped</span> a cleaning rod with a mallet and it is the rod's fault it broke?

I've stuck a rod or 2, but not that bad. It's always been user error.
whistle.gif

Tipton works just fine for me.

The gun gods were telling you that break ins are a total waste of time.

That's why I use a nylon brush and Ed's Red solvent before I patch the sucker. That Windex takes all the slip out of the barrel and fouling.

wow, that is interesting but I had a bad day at the range on Friday so I can feel your pain. I was testing new loads for my 308 SASS and I guess they were too hot. I blew a primer out and the primer got stuck on the feed ramp and the bolt got stuck 80% into battery. I could get it unstuck at the range so when I get home I take a rubber mallet to the charging handle and it breaks it apart; however, it also breaks the holding pin on the charging handle holding on the badger handle. But, the primer did fall out and the rifle will be back up when I get a new pin that got broke. So, don't feel bad as we can do some stupid things sometimes.

Ouch I feel your pain. I seen the agony in Drakes face with his cleaning rod and I can only imagine!!

Just for your info:

Plan on buying a new barrel and for a barrel installation!!

It aint coming out brother!!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your barrel.

Steel Threaded rod from the Muzzle end<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ouch I feel your pain. I seen the agony in Drakes face with his cleaning rod and I can only imagine!!

Just for your info:

Plan on buying a new barrel and for a barrel installation!!

It aint coming out brother!!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your barrel.

</div></div>
Steel Threaded rod pounded from the Muzzle end, she'll come out. No seriously. Can you tap a dowel in and see if it will move? Other than that, looks like heading off to barrel town.
Sorry.
Chad

Sorry to hear about this. I have had a couple close calls, but so far I have not ran into this. I feel for you, at least you have the right atitude.

Some Hoppes poured into the barrel and allowed to soak in will help.

Did you try some lube down the tube and see if you could use a twist/pull method to slip it out? That sucks and don't worry about looking like a retard, I'm sure some of your fellow range goers have been in this situation before.

Let us know how it turns out.

Kelly

Ironically, I just had this happen to me today with a barrel I was breaking in. I also got the jag out with half of the patch, but the rod would not budge. I was able to tap the end of the rod in with my staple gun, and then use the staple gun to tap the handle to get the rest out. I had a Dewey rod, so I didn't break, but I beat up the handle up pretty bad getting it out. I was sweating and looking like a pretty good fool in the 102 degree texas heat.

I have a feeling that nobody cares, but....

The smith at Impact Guns in odgen, fixed it fairly quick.

The barrel walks away unscathed. It took 30 seconds, a steel rod, and a mallet to fix.

I already ordered a Dewey rod, and learned my lesson.

Why the hell are you guys putting so much patch on a rod that it takes the strength of a hydraulic cylinder to push through? What are you trying to accomplish?

If you will use a brush about a size smaller than the barrel your cleaning, for example, if your cleaning a .308 use a .270 brush and wrap a patch around it soaked in whatever. You will never have this problem again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a feeling that nobody cares, but....

The smith at Impact Guns in odgen, fixed it fairly quick.

The barrel walks away unscathed. It took 30 seconds, a steel rod, and a mallet to fix.

I already ordered a Dewey rod, and learned my lesson.</div></div>

Thought that might be the way it turned out. I had a dewey rod stuck after the patch came loose on a new GAP years ago. Called George and he assured me that my barrel would come out of it fine. It did, lesson learned.

Here's tip I learned the hard way. Never ever drive a cleaning rod further down the barrel with a hammer or anything else other than your hand. What happens is the jag goes through the patch and you have a wedge fit on the rod that may or may not be centered in the barrel. If it's not centered you may have contact between the rod and the lands. Everytime you hit the handle you're plowing metal. I participated in the destruction of a barrel years ago. I've also seen rods that had rifling marks down the side. If it happens and you can't pull the rod back with your hands get a pair of pliers. Get hold of the rod right in front of the handle with the pliers( vice grips work better) and drive the rod to the rear by hitting the pliers with a hammer. The barrel will thank you for it and the rod maker will also. All you have at the end of the day is a little more experience and messed up cleaning rod that still works.

Why were you using windex? Thats not a window you are polishing...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's tip I learned the hard way. Never ever drive a cleaning rod further down the barrel with a hammer or anything else other than your hand. What happens is the jag goes through the patch and you have a wedge fit on the rod that may or may not be centered in the barrel. If it's not centered you may have contact between the rod and the lands. Everytime you hit the handle you're plowing metal. I participated in the destruction of a barrel years ago. I've also seen rods that had rifling marks down the side. If it happens and you can't pull the rod back with your hands get a pair of pliers. Get hold of the rod right in front of the handle with the pliers( vice grips work better) and drive the rod to the rear by hitting the pliers with a hammer. The barrel will thank you for it and the rod maker will also. All you have at the end of the day is a little more experience and messed up cleaning rod that still works.</div></div>

I used vise grips on the rod, and tap, tap tap on the vise grips until rod backed out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">might be the ammonia in the windex, think it acts like a copper solvent? </div></div>

The ammonia is what its used for. No harsh smells, and the windex actually is pretty good at getting some cooper fouling out

Windex was the catalyst of your misfortune. It strips all lubricant from the surface, and as it evaporated - STUCK.

Bore solvents are oily and provide lubrication as the jag or patch covered brush are pushed through the bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ktdls7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Windex was the catalyst of your misfortune. It strips all lubricant from the surface, and as it evaporated - STUCK.

Bore solvents are oily and provide lubrication as the jag or patch covered brush are pushed through the bore. </div></div>

you beat me to it

All the fantastic bore cleaners and solvents available today and we're using amonia based Windex? Come on people.

okie

Your patch was too big and you tried to reverse it in the barrel.
Ever tried to reverse a bore brush in the barrel?
I made my own rod from a piece of 1/4 stainless steel.
36inch's long for my Pedersoli Sharp's, set up to take Parker Hale type brush's and jag's.
Another 24 inch long for everything else.

Some good info here. I think that the best one for me, is to not stick the rod in the first place. I've been close, but have been lucky enough to walk away for a few minutes before I really screw up.