• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stuff to shoot.

A14

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2012
Amarillo, Texas
Not sure if this the right place, but what do you guys like to shoot besides steel and paper. I was thinking about water balloons and blocks of ice. Things that are easily to clean up. Would like any input.

Re: Stuff to shoot.

easter eggs or ping pong balls with flower in them (Drill small hole, fill with flower, and tape closed)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FPSRussia shoots 2 liter soda bottles and that comes out pretty cool. Just sayin... </div></div>

Also, exploding targets makes things disappear quickly as well.

all fun targets:

wheeled_robot_targets_wd9cm.jpg

target1.jpg

FartherChristmasTarget.jpg

9EA25D5D.jpg

somali-pirates.jpg

A little expensive but love to shoot tannerite for fun - you know instantly if you hit! I like shooting water balloons also but if you get a lot of false positives (especially if they are on the ground). Half gallon milk jugs filled with water are great at 800-1000 yards. My favorite target is still steel - nothing like the sound of steel ringing at long range. And you don't have to keep driving down range to see if you are hitting.

I use that exploding tannerite target material and have a way to make it last a lot longer. I set it up so I can get about 10-15 8'' targets out of one tub. When you shoot it it looks just like the targets on top shot. It doesn't explode but it creates a nice fireball and tons of smoke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use that exploding tannerite target material and have a way to make it last a lot longer. I set it up so I can get about 10-15 8'' targets out of one tub. When you shoot it it looks just like the targets on top shot. It doesn't explode but it creates a nice fireball and tons of smoke.</div></div>

Well are you going to share the secret or keep it to yourself?

I just made a reactive target with one of those re-sealable orange ball targets.

Hung it so it will swing around, simple, but probably a bit boring for what you're looking for, I look forward to seeing how it does though.

Our range doesn't allow steel, this seemed to be a smart way to achieve the same kind of reactive target, but I won't get the DING!

Paint balls off golf tees. They are inexpensive, biodegradable and lots of fun!

A cheap remote control car with a helium ballon tied to it makes great movers. Put two different colors and it give you a hostage/bad guy mover.

I used to scuba dive and had some old aluminum dive tanks that couldn't be serviced anymore. The bullets go right through, but they ding really loud.

Gallon milk jugs full of red coolaid are fun.

Jugs or two liters w red koolaid, eggs, novelty golf balls, tannerite, steel plate, rc monster truck towing two diff color helium balloons, we do it all out on the farm. Occasionally playing cards. Tomatoes are fun too. Last weekend my last three iphones that went south on me. Gonna try a windshield this summer too. Looking forward to that.
also fun to line up 3 or 4 feet of phone book and try to catch bullets, or boxes of sand to catch bullets.

-Paulus

We shoot golfballs mostly! They start out on the tee and if they dont get shot out of the air via shotgun we attempt to find them and get rid of them.

I save used 20oz soda or water bottles and fill with water. I have a couple apple trees and the old apples work nice with a varmit rig. Just a clould of vapor with a 204. It's also nice when a gopher runs across the range.

I made up a bunch of 6" wide four sided 12" plywood boxes put a piece of orange paper on the back, drilled a small hole on one of the sides and hung a golf ball on fishing line in the center using fishing roe bags to hold the balls. This eliminated knocking the balls off the tees or hitting low and blasting with rocks and dirt, plus you can leave em out in the wind and rain and they stay. My range is open land so I use old saw blades as targets hung on chains between two fence posts, so if they get taken, no big deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daybreak1199</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
target1.jpg
</div></div>

Is that Frank at SHOT?
laugh.gif

You can go to the cheapee' store and pick up a case of soda for a couple bucks. Leave them hot and shake them up. Works great with .22's. Lemons, limes, oranges all make good visible marks and can be left behind for animals or buried easy. I use Necco wafers for air rifles also. All the big stuff I just use steel.

Oh, almost forgot! Try bowling pins. seriously. You can get em cheap from your local bowling alley, and they stand up pretty well even against bigger rifle rounds like ought six and .308 and .300winmag, and they are already silhouette shaped, so they work like reduced size targets. they also usually fall on first hit so you know if you hit it or not at range.

-Paulus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to scuba dive and had some old aluminum dive tanks that couldn't be serviced anymore. The bullets go right through, but they ding really loud.</div></div>

I shoulda thought of that! I have two tanks that are unserviceable too. They've been sitting in my garage for years...now I know what to do with them.

I save my cracked windshields from my vehicles when I have them replaced. My cousins and I also shoot cheap full 2-litre soda bottles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gixxerk8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My range is open land so I use old saw blades as targets hung on chains between two fence posts, so if they get taken, no big deal. </div></div>

Love that idea! How easy is it to hear hits at 500 yards or so?

Thanks for the ideas guys. Lots of good ones I'll have to use. I'm also gonna get into home made exploding targets. I just got access to a "pit" to use that has no grass. So I'm excited.

98 cent aerosol paint cans from walmart. Cheap as fruit and makes a big spray pattern when you hit em. Real fun when you mix a red one in once and a while, you get the picture. White is the cheapest.

Tannerite Top Shot targets: frisket film (used for airbrushing like a huge wide piece of tape can be found at most hobby stores, you could also use several strips of packing tape) .22 caliber sure shot exploding target mix and a foot long section of 2x10. Mix up tannerite, lay wood down flat then lay 10''x10'' piece of frisket film down sticky side up pour thin amount of tannerite on frisket film and spread around till you get about an 8'' circle (spread pretty thin) then take another piece about 8''x14'' of frisket and place it sticky side down on top of the tannerite very tightly and wrap it around the 2x10 making sure everything is tightly pressed down and against the wood. I will create a sandwich out of the tannerite with the frisket as "bread". You have to be somewhat gently setting it up but if done right it works great and you no longer have to spend $25 for a one shot explosion and like I said it looks identical to the "exploding" targets on Top Shot. Make sure to get the stuff made for .22 and not the larger caliber stuff. The big stuff is not thin enough and does not work. I have shot it up to 600 yards with my .308 no problem.

The cardboard case from Ramen noodles.

If you aren't buying Ramen buy the case, you aren't shooting enough.

I go buy the cheapest 12 packs I can find shake em up and place em. A soda can at 300~ yards is definitely a fun shot and they explode quite nicely when your done just toss them all back in the box and throw em away.

I don't know the name of it, but at gander mountain they have these orange targets made of a rubber like material that is supposed to hold up to bullets very well. The idea is that you shoot them and they bounce around and change positions. When I can shoot at a range that allows non-paper targets I'd love to get one.

Looks like this, but is orange and they were $25.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TARGET102-1.html

These particular ones are no longer available.